Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2010, 04:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Not even a rumor, but...

This is only a guess from my part. But I guess that the next dslr we will se is something between the kx and k7, and probably it's a k7 shell with the kx-sensor and they will call it k6 or k5 or something similar.

This is something they should almost be able to build in their spare time. It would be a great step up from the Kx, and in many eyes even better then the k7. But since it would have less pixels than the K7 and don't really have any other improvements (perhaps even dumbed down) it would be to much to call it a K8, hence the lower k-number. And it would give them time to build a k8 with a new sensor with even more pixels next year.

What do you think, plausible?

02-28-2010, 05:00 AM   #2

Well... it can be fun to speculate sometimes, so here goes...

I WOULDN'T like to see the above - I can't see that there'd be enough of a real-world difference between the systems, or enough of a market to sell it.

I'd like to see a 'newer' K20, perhaps pushing it towards a TRUE 'semi-pro' camera. Failing that, the old favourite, full-frame and a new lens line up to match. We can but dream.
02-28-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
Banned

Pentax needs to come out with a DSLR with 1080p HD video and full manual video controls like the entry level Canon EOS 550D / Rebel T2i /Kiss X4 along with a FF version like the Canon 5D MKII.
02-28-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
Inactive Account

yep i agree with jogi.
but serioulsly have you guys tried a k-7?fkn good camera.

02-28-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't see the point of a camera in between the K7 and the Kx. Why?
02-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No market

While some people who lust over nothing but ever higher ISO would like this the general public and I dare say 90% of photographers would not recognize the difference. They would only see a camera with 12MP and one with 14MP.

I have to agree the new check marks that marketing are going to need are 1080p video, and more mega pixles.

Otherwise it would appear they are going backwards.
02-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

We already see posts with the question - "K-7 or K-x?". With an intermediate camera we would get the "Why would anyone chose the K-7?" threads.

Let the K-7 be the middle camera in the line up I say (not including the 645D).
02-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
I would like a weather sealed Kx now to give to my 16 year old daughter who is staying in Ecuador for 10 months. So I guess I'll give her a plastic bag to go with it.

02-28-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
While some people who lust over nothing but ever higher ISO would like this the general public and I dare say 90% of photographers would not recognize the difference. They would only see a camera with 12MP and one with 14MP.

I have to agree the new check marks that marketing are going to need are 1080p video, and more mega pixles.

Otherwise it would appear they are going backwards.
Unfortunately, you are probably right, at least for now. The public, and that includes most of the entry level market that this camera would be aimed at, look at megapixels as the primary feature and to them, more is better. However, just remember back a few years ago with the clock speed races in the PC processor world. The P4's became faster and faster but at the expense of heat and power consumption. Larger and more complex heat sinks, multiple fans and even modified cases with funnels to draw outside air directly to the processor to keep it from overheating. All of a sudden, they dropped to more than half the previous clock speeds. The marketing departments need something to sell. They need the public to buy more megapixels every couple of years. The last thing they want is for consumers to be "happy" with their cameras and keep them for several years as most people did with their 35mm film cameras.
02-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I'd like that!

In fact i think seriously abaut wich to chose, feature wise the k7 is sound i especially like the LV without mirror flipping, also i like the k7 s build, but the sensor of the kx seems better. Basicly i dont want to spend the k7 s price knowing what a value the kx is
Might be i just wait again till a used kx comes my way later and add that to my kit instead to replace with a k7.
02-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #11
ogl
Banned

Weather-sealed K-x with AF points in VF and 12 MP sensor will kill K-7's sales.
K-8 will be upgraded K-7 with better video, fps and new AF system.
02-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Sounds sweet! I will pre order
02-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
We already see posts with the question - "K-7 or K-x?". With an intermediate camera we would get the "Why would anyone chose the K-7?" threads.

Let the K-7 be the middle camera in the line up I say (not including the 645D).
Because the K-7 has already proved what she had to. Now a upgrade from the K-x with a taste of K-7 would be nice. Meanwhile it's time for K-7 to be replaced.
02-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
This I like! weathersealed K-x!
02-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Pentax needs to come out with a DSLR with 1080p HD video and full manual video controls like the entry level Canon EOS 550D / Rebel T2i /Kiss X4 along with a FF version like the Canon 5D MKII.
Another case of the grass always greener at the other side of the fence.
I just can't understand this kind of thinking.
Maybe Pentax should just buy those and re-brand them..