Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #151
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 527
You mean K-7?
With - ?

03-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #152
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Photos: Albums
Posts: 842
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
And will Pentax finally decide whether or not they will use a hyphen (K-m/K-x) or not (K20d/K7) in their naming? That is most important!
They decided well over a year ago in most markets, and almost a year ago in the remainder. ALL recent models have a hyphen - in the order they were announced, they're the K-m, K-7 and K-x.

Some markets didn't go with K-m, so they joined the hyphen brigade later, but it's K-7 globally, not K7. To offer just a few examples:

K-7 - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
K-7?????????????PENTAX
K-7 - Digital SLR - PENTAX U.K. Limited
PENTAX K-7 - Digitale Spiegelreflexkameras - PENTAX Europe GmbH

Or just look at the front of the camera - it's right there, clear as day with a hyphen in it. ;-)
03-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #153
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,185
Then why isn't it 645-D or K-645????

When 1 out of your 3 current cameras doesn't follow the naming convention, then it's not much of a convention, is it?



QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
They decided well over a year ago in most markets, and almost a year ago in the remainder. ALL recent models have a hyphen - in the order they were announced, they're the K-m, K-7 and K-x.

Some markets didn't go with K-m, so they joined the hyphen brigade later, but it's K-7 globally, not K7. To offer just a few examples:

K-7 - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
K-7?????????????PENTAX
K-7 - Digital SLR - PENTAX U.K. Limited
PENTAX K-7 - Digitale Spiegelreflexkameras - PENTAX Europe GmbH

Or just look at the front of the camera - it's right there, clear as day with a hyphen in it. ;-)
03-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #154
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote

Is there room for a mythical K5 at around US$700?
with the current prices of both k-x and K-7 and the future prices taken into consideration, I don't think so. we know what specific market that the 2 cameras are aiming for and it wouldn't make sense building a camera which is merely a complement to both k-x and K-7 systems that only separates them by $200. what market does a supposed K-5 is going after? the features and sensor application used is from previous systems and would gain no real advantage in a dlsr market competition especially when the upcoming models are getting better than the previous ones the year before.

what I believe however is that Pentax would have a K-7 successor (not the 645D) in the midrange market and the k-x in the entry level market as well. the upcoming models would certainly be upgrades from the ones from the previous year.

03-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #155
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,185
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
with the current prices of both k-x and K-7 and the future prices taken into consideration, I don't think so. we know what specific market that the 2 cameras are aiming for and it wouldn't make sense building a camera which is merely a complement to both k-x and K-7 systems that only separates them by $200. what market does a supposed K-5 is going after? the features and sensor application used is from previous systems and would gain no real advantage in a dlsr market competition especially when the upcoming models are getting better than the previous ones the year before.
The only way I can see Pentax offering a K-5 in between the K-x and K-7 is if it was not just an intermediate dSLR but rather offered unique features that neither of them had, i.e., an EVIL camera based on the K-x that offered a smaller form factor than the K-x and perhaps another differentiating feature like 1080p video or weather sealing at a price premium over the K-x.

Pricing M43 EVILS at a premium over similar 43 cameras is what Oly and Panny do. Maybe Pentax will do the same?
03-29-2010, 09:56 PM   #156
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Photos: Albums
Posts: 842
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Then why isn't it 645-D or K-645????

When 1 out of your 3 current cameras doesn't follow the naming convention, then it's not much of a convention, is it?

Point taken, but they're not products in the same series or category obviously. Three are APS-C cameras with global distribution, and one's a medium format camera with Japanese-only distribution (for the time being, no idea if that will change).
03-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #157
Veteran Member
Christopher M.W.T's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,689
Ok if what im been communicated is correct and true.

The update will be a higher end version of the K7 with an improved AF system inherited from the 645D.
03-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #158
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
The only way I can see Pentax offering a K-5 in between the K-x and K-7 is if it was not just an intermediate dSLR but rather offered unique features that neither of them had, i.e., an EVIL camera based on the K-x that offered a smaller form factor than the K-x and perhaps another differentiating feature like 1080p video or weather sealing at a price premium over the K-x.

Pricing M43 EVILS at a premium over similar 43 cameras is what Oly and Panny do. Maybe Pentax will do the same?
I was also about to mention an EVIL as a possible upgrade. but I think it would be more of a breakaway from the traditional Pentax dslr. it maybe worth the shot, although I'm wondering if it would be an APS-C format and an upgraded sensor version from the last one. if ever Pentax goes with this, it may cost at around the $600-$650 (the EP1 costs at $650 brand new). the size would be the selling point of it, not to mention that it goes along with the concept of portability of the DA LTDs. it does makes sense. I think a significant number of people (those who hate carrying too much weight and baggage) would be thrilled on having a tiny evil cam for a 2nd or 3rd body.


Last edited by Pentaxor; 03-29-2010 at 11:35 PM.
03-29-2010, 10:58 PM   #159
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,238
Original Poster

Two CMOS sensor on the same chip. This concept apply to 12.4MPx APS-C CMOS sensor.
The sensor integrates noise reduction circuits and 4 “Digital Channels”, two for each half-sensor.
Each half-sensor has 6.2MPx with a speed transfer of 8.2fps through Global Shutter, whole sensor has 12.4MPx with a total transfer rate of 8.2fps.
Both half-sensor are activate and synchronized by “Synchro-shutter” device to the same exactly time and the information from both half-sensor is drained through 4 digital channels to the image processor.
This allow:
-electronic shutter (global shutter mode)
-non-mechanical shutter
-high frame per second

-less static interference (digital channels and just 2 per half-sensor)
03-30-2010, 02:19 AM   #160
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Finland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 308
Does that half-sensor mean a huge vertical line in the middle of the photos then?
03-30-2010, 03:02 AM   #161
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chennai, India
Photos: Albums
Posts: 254
QuoteOriginally posted by Maffer Quote
Does that half-sensor mean a huge vertical line in the middle of the photos then?
May be the sensor for 3D DSLR Record the same image with some shift and squint your eyes to see the 3D picture.
03-30-2010, 03:09 AM   #162
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,259
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

Two CMOS sensor on the same chip. This concept apply to 12.4MPx APS-C CMOS sensor.
The sensor integrates noise reduction circuits and 4 “Digital Channels”, two for each half-sensor.
Each half-sensor has 6.2MPx with a speed transfer of 8.2fps through Global Shutter, whole sensor has 12.4MPx with a total transfer rate of 8.2fps.
Both half-sensor are activate and synchronized by “Synchro-shutter” device to the same exactly time and the information from both half-sensor is drained through 4 digital channels to the image processor.
This allow:
-electronic shutter (global shutter mode)
-non-mechanical shutter
-high frame per second

-less static interference (digital channels and just 2 per half-sensor)
Already posted in another thread...
04-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #163
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Then why isn't it 645-D or K-645????

When 1 out of your 3 current cameras doesn't follow the naming convention, then it's not much of a convention, is it?

The reason the hyphen matters in the K-x and K-m is because there was already a Kx and Km.
04-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #164
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The reason the hyphen matters in the K-x and K-m is because there was already a Kx and Km.
you mean KX and KM

and as for the quote, why would they call it K-645 if it doesnt have a Kmount?
04-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #165
Veteran Member
froeschle's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 552
QuoteQuote:
To Photokina will come 2 Bodys,no 35mm Sensor.
No showcase model of a 35mm-K7 successor ?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, k-5, pentax, pentax k-5, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new 73 year old camera void7910 Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 1 09-10-2010 11:06 AM
Camera for a 2.5 year old Ramitt Photographic Technique 7 11-14-2009 03:35 PM
Pentax wins European Camera of the Year! Nesster Pentax Film SLR Discussion 8 10-01-2009 04:58 PM
Just in: Pentax K10D Camera of the Year Damn Brit Pentax News and Rumors 11 05-25-2008 01:15 PM
PopPoto's Camera of the Year... Not Pentax loudbay Pentax DSLR Discussion 19 12-14-2007 02:52 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:02 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top