Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #256
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wonder if FF is coming to the masses then? If the FF is $1500 or less.

04-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #257
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
Why would Pentax bring out an awesome new D-FA WR lens (macro 100mm 2.8) instead of a DA lens?
As has already been pointed out, it's not a new lens. It's a six year old design that has had weather sealing added. The WR version is optically identical to the previous version, except for the aperture blades:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/90247-short-co...resistant.html
04-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #258
Veteran Member

The new FF Nikon D700s is rumored to be coming in at under $1500.00 with the new Sony FF sensor, Sony is rumored to be working on less expensive FF camera using the same sensor that will be at $1500.00 or less.
Uh. A D700 replacement under $1500? Even with the current D700 listing at around $2500?

I highly doubt we'll see a FX Dx00 series camera from Nikon for under $2000.
04-30-2010, 02:46 AM   #259
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
Uh. A D700 replacement under $1500? Even with the current D700 listing at around $2500?

it's possible. all it needs is some competition.

05-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #260
Veteran Member

I got some information that K-5 or new body with different codename will be in September. It will be body between K-7 and K-x. It will contain SONY Sensor and it will be something different. Pentax working on addition of some new features.
There wont be FF in 1 year. You will see new body in stores just in January 2011.
05-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #261
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AlexanderMayorov Quote
I got some information that K-5 or new body with different codename will be in September. It will be body between K-7 and K-x. It will contain SONY Sensor and it will be something different. Pentax working on addition of some new features.
There wont be FF in 1 year. You will see new body in stores just in January 2011.
so many various sources....so different
05-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #262
Forum Member

I really hope there is a FF Pentax soon, or failing that then at least a 7D beater. There doesn't seem to be anywhere to go if you have a Pentax system other than backwards.

I am currently saving up for a 5D ll or whatever replaces it. I am a slow saver, so Pentax do have time to get their own FF out there before I switch to Canon for good.

05-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #263
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AlexanderMayorov Quote
and if not K-5 or K-9 ...what is the best name for this series ?? ... K300D??? ...
05-12-2010, 02:10 AM   #264
Forum Member

Because it probably wouldn't sell/make a profit for Pentax. Cameras won't get built if they aren't projected to be profitable.

I'm a little confused as to what you'd want in a K300D?
As a K200D owner I can think of lots of things. First on my list would be the better SR mechanism of the K-7. That alone could justify an upgrade for me. Fact is, with the falling prices of the K-7 it's getting very tempting for that reason alone as I'm strictly a hand held shooter. Of course an upgraded sensor, and I would be satisfied with what the K-x has. Would love to see dual wheels and a real glass prism, but that would be just a plus.

Don't need fast fps as I never get out of one shot mod. Save that for the K-7 and beyond. The update doesn't need to be earth shattering. Just a nice refresh would do well. They would likely throw in the movie junk, but I would never use it.
05-12-2010, 02:45 AM   #265
Veteran Member

Why would Pentax bring out an awesome new D-FA WR lens (macro 100mm 2.8) instead of a DA lens?
That one is easy to answer.
Pentax used to have a 24x36 project going on - the MZ-D with Philips 6Mp CCD (which was later used in the Contax N Digital). For this body Pentax developed the D FA 100 and 50 f/2.8 Macros. Now, Pentax cancelled the development of the MZ-D, shifting into APS-C and released the *ist D. Instead of cancelling these two D FA lenses they went forward with them and released them. The D FA 50 is actually the FA 50 Macro with new exterior. The D FA 100 is a new design.

Those lenses was released in 2004 when Pentax released their first digital DSLR - the APS-C *ist D.

The D FA 100 WR is the very same as the D FA 100 non-WR optically, but with new exterior, new aperture, a slight change of coating (new SP coating) and added weather seals.

They released is simply because it was old and needed an update, and it was easy to update it...

It is still a "left over" from the cancelled 24x36 project many years ago.
05-12-2010, 05:18 AM   #266
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Nikon FF won't dip below $2000 unless their topline APS-C (D300 descendants) drops as well. There is room between the D90 and D300, so it could happen. Alternately, Nikon could differentiate their top APS-C from their entry FF in other ways - FPS, video, AF - so that they cater towards different markets while co-existing in the same price bracket
05-28-2010, 01:27 AM   #267
Veteran Member

Sony has supposedly developed a new FF sensor that will be used in the new Nikon FF D700s, (Nikon currently manufactures the FF sensor in the FF D700 itself, but for some reason Nikon is moving away from chip production) the replacement for the D700. Nikon supposedly gets a six month window on the sensor. Next, Sony will be rolling it out in a low cost FF camera of its own.
D3/D700 sensor is designed by Nikon and produced by Sony.
QuoteQuote:
The current FF Sony sensor in the Sony A900, A850 and Nikon D3 is a bit of a dog. Noisy and expensive.
D3x, you mean? It's still better than 5D Mk.II, but if you want to call it noisy...
05-28-2010, 01:30 AM   #268
Veteran Member

Olympus has not produced many stellar lenses for the system. Not close to what Pentax, Nikon or even Canon have.
Actually, almost all Olympus Four Thirds lenses are among the best in the market... Not stellar enough?
05-28-2010, 02:19 AM   #269
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
Actually, almost all Olympus Four Thirds lenses are among the best in the market... Not stellar enough?
4/3 system isn't stellar for me.
05-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #270

???

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
Are you basing this on fact or personal opinion?

Overall this review is positive of the Olympus M. ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 9-18mm F4-5.6

ƒIƒŠƒ“ƒpƒXuM.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 9-18mm F4-5.6v - ƒfƒWƒJƒWatch

I just don't see it, the images are soft and lack detail.

Check out this comparison between the Point & Shoot Sigma DP2 and the Panasonic GH1 with Olympus M. Zuiko 17mm f/2.8 lens:

Sigma DP2 Shootout Pt. 2 - Detailed Scene

The Sigma spanks the Panasonic/Olympus.

Panasonic has been trying to pressure Leica to enter the M4/3 market. Leica won't have it:

“...Stefan (Daniel, Leica Product Manager) did tell me was that I could SQUASH any rumor of a Leica mirrorless m4/3 camera. He pointed to the M9 and said “We already have a mirrorless camera”. He also told me that M4/3 is NOT in the future for Leica as the quality is just not there.”

Olympus and Panasonic rumors Blog Archive Leica will not join MicroFourThirds (via Steve Huff)

A point you have not addressed is optical versus software correction for the lenses. The M4/3 format employs software correction for the lenses.

Check out:
Olympus and Panasonic rumors Blog Archive What’s better: digital or optical distortion correction? (dpreview)

"And what did they discover? “Purely optically-corrected design have an edge over the Micro Four Thirds lens that combines both optical and digital correction.”

To me that's cheating. I can make some corrections during post processing. To rely on software to get the lens to perform is a waste of money. What makes you think that Panasonic or Olympus will still support that lens in five years? 10 years? I have a 60 year old Tessar that still performs wonderfully even on my old K100D:

Getting back to Olympus, only two new lenses this year, maybe four new lenses next year. Not impressive.

No one else is really supporting the format other than Panasonic and Olympus:
Olympus and Panasonic rumors Blog Archive (FT3) Nobody else will join MicroFourThirds (no Fuji, no Sigma, no Kodak, no Leica)

There was also another rumor that was posted yesterday but I can't pull up right now that stated Olympus might be showing an APS-C EVIL camera at Photokina 2010. The reasoning was that people are recognizing and desiring the increased performance of the larger APS-C sensor.

(If I can find the link I'll post it.)

I see the APS-C Samsung NX and Sony NEX clobbering the M4/3 format in the long run.

If you like M4/3 by all means use it and be happy with it. I have zero interest in it and I'm sure I'm not alone.