What about kx +k5 +k8?

06-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #287
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
What about kx +k5 +k8?
Likely. Or even kx +k5 +k8 + LX
06-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #288
Veteran Member

K-5?Anybody knows the name of the new models?

06-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #289
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote

No...Hoya keeps things under wraps. I kinda find the current naming format a little lame. I'd rather have them use a theme.....like comic book sound effects.

06-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #290
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
No. There aren't even plausible rumors of new models, this long thread notwithstanding.

It's certain that Pentax will have new models, but the specifics are anyone's guess.
06-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #291
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I used K-5 because everybody here knows what positioning I mean with such a name.
Whatever the name, we can only guess.
06-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #292
Pentaxian

... a camera above K-7, maybe FF? (see the MZ/ZX series, as reference)
06-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #293
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
... a camera above K-7, maybe FF? (see the MZ/ZX series, as reference)
Mmm IMO not this time but who knows?

06-02-2010, 12:49 AM   #294
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't really get the FF craze. It is hugely expensive to swap over to FF when you have invested in APS, so unless you are a pro and can write some of it off, you'd better be well heeled. I would like to see a couple more APS bodies before having to suffer through Pentax devoting precious resources towards a line of new FF digital lenses. Rest assured, APS lens development will be put on hold at that juncture. FF cameras are too BIG, expensive, and clunky for my taste- small & light is why I like Pentax equipment in the first place.
06-02-2010, 01:29 AM   #295

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
I don't really get the FF craze. It is hugely expensive to swap over to FF when you have invested in APS, so unless you are a pro and can write some of it off, you'd better be well heeled. I would like to see a couple more APS bodies before having to suffer through Pentax devoting precious resources towards a line of new FF digital lenses. Rest assured, APS lens development will be put on hold at that juncture. FF cameras are too BIG, expensive, and clunky for my taste- small & light is why I like Pentax equipment in the first place.
What is the problem with FF digital lenses (DFA)? You want small and light APS-c sensor sized body. Don't worry, Pentax is not going to stop developing/producing them before many years. Then do you know that DFA lenses are also working on APS-C bodies? So why it would be a problem if Pentax is developing that kind of lenses? I would even add that your DFA lens is one of them, and the last DA lens (60-250mm) is also FF compatible!
06-02-2010, 02:44 AM   #296
Pentaxian

I don't really get the FF craze.
I don't get it, either; and I don't believe Pentax will have such a camera this year (that's fine with me, I'll most likely buy the K-7's replacement).
I think that a "K-5" should be well (as in: a class) above the K-7 and not below, while I don't necessarily expect such a "K-5" this year. Smaller digit, higher class camera - it worked for the film cameras.
Using this name for a lower than K-7 camera would be confusing (and unlikely). But that's just my opinion, and it looks like there is an agreement on this topic, to use the "K-5" codename in such a way.
06-02-2010, 03:02 AM   #297
Pentaxian

I don't really get the FF craze. It is hugely expensive to swap over to FF when you have invested in APS, so unless you are a pro and can write some of it off, you'd better be well heeled.
Well, I have five lenses (two zooms and three primes), four of them are designed for full frame so, my switch would be very simple and not overly expensive

I would like to see a couple more APS bodies before having to suffer through Pentax devoting precious resources towards a line of new FF digital lenses. Rest assured, APS lens development will be put on hold at that juncture. FF cameras are too BIG, expensive, and clunky for my taste- small & light is why I like Pentax equipment in the first place.
I don't think it is impossible to make compact FF DSLR. Look at film cameras: they can be small and compact. Pentax MZ/ZX series, *ist can be examples. Add some 1,5cm to the back of camera for electronics and you have FF compact DSLR. IMHO it is possible to make FF DSLR close to K10D/K20D size.
06-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #298
Veteran Member

this is not true and clearly a misconception. FF cameras are not really too big, expensive and clunky. it's how the camera manufacturers made them that made them big, not because they are really big in reality.

they had become expensive over the years, thanks to marketing and the price separation between sensor systems. you don't have to be a pro inorder to get a full-frame camera. there is no special skill set required that an APS-C user need to handle a FF camera. lens development isn't really that difficult. they could always base their lens design with the old but with much better coating to improve IQ. they had done that before. if not, there are some 3rd party options to choose from.
06-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #299
Loyal Site Supporter

If Pentax was planning a FF body then I do not understand rolling out the new DA lenses. All of their FA lenses need to be updated with modern coatings and some design improvements to be used with digital.

I think they would be better off rolling out a FF with the same lens mount as the 645. This would allow for enough production volume of 645 glass to get prices down, and would create a great two body system.
06-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #300
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
If Pentax was planning a FF body then I do not understand rolling out the new DA lenses. All of their FA lenses need to be updated with modern coatings and some design improvements to be used with digital.

I think they would be better off rolling out a FF with the same lens mount as the 645. This would allow for enough production volume of 645 glass to get prices down, and would create a great two body system.
dont you ever say that. checking my signature.