Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2010, 11:43 PM   #301
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yesterday I heard that there may be a FF mid 2011 depending on how the 645D works out.. then again the same guy said that Pentax was now "working together" with Hoya so I guess his sense of reality is a bit strange..

06-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #302

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bergmania Quote
Yesterday I heard that there may be a FF mid 2011 depending on how the 645D works out.. then again the same guy said that Pentax was now "working together" with Hoya so I guess his sense of reality is a bit strange..
Waiting that long in my opinion would be a mistake. I think if Hoya doesn't at least announce a full frame, and show off a prototype at Photokina then they never will and the people who have been waiting for one will have to switch brands.

The Canon 5d MKIII is due to be released soon, most likely either before or at Photokina, and as such the 5d MKII is being drastically reduced in price ($500 where I live). With that kind of incentive it may be hard for Pentax to keep those on the fence without giving them what they are asking for.
06-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #303

I don't think that it'll have a huge impact on pentax sales if they won't show a ff camera in september. Many people just say couse they're dreamin 'baut it but they'll probably never go for smth costier then the kx. Who wanted to switch has switched already couse ff is not so costy enough. Mid 2011? if it'll be in shops then why not. Everything depends on specs, if they would show o low perfoming body even fully working and ready to ship at photokina nobody would go for it. My dream is it would be faster, maybe first quarter of 2011. Maybe shiping in march But what i really want is to show two new cameras: hi spec aps-c and lower spec-ed more like studio/landscape camera with ff maybe 3-4 fps and so on but let it have fair pricing so it'll have an impact on ff market.
06-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #304
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote
The Canon 5d MKIII is due to be released soon, most likely either before or at Photokina, and as such the 5d MKII is being drastically reduced in price ($500 where I live).
Where do you live? Your profile says the United States, but either you're not talking US dollars, or your info is wrong. The 5D Mark II is only selling for at best 9% below list price in the USA at the moment, and only 4% below list from most retailers. It's nowhere *near* $500 below list.

Current lowest price on PriceGrabber.com, body-only, is $2,269:

Canon 2764B003 - EOS-5D Mark ll - Canon SLR - 21.1 Megapixel Digital Camera---(Body Only)

List price is $2,499, which means you'd have to be selling below $2,000 to have a $500 discount as you claim, unless you don't mean US dollars:

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR Camera

42nd Street Photo is only $230 below list, and most retailers are still selling the 5D Mark II at $2,399 body-only, just $100 below list.

Look on Adorama's site and you'll see that even refurb and second-hand 5D Mark IIs are still selling well above $2,000 -- $2,200 for a refurb, and over $2,250 used.

Canon EOS-5D Mark II Digital SLR Camera Body, 21.1 Megapixels with 3.0" TFT LCD - Refurbished
2764B003 Canon EOS-5D Mark II Digital SLR Camera Body

06-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #305
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Where do you live? Your profile says the United States, but either you're not talking US dollars, or your info is wrong. The 5D Mark II is only selling for at best 9% below list price in the USA at the moment, and only 4% below list from most retailers. It's nowhere *near* $500 below list.

Canon 2764B003 - EOS-5D Mark ll - Canon SLR - 21.1 Megapixel Digital Camera---(Body Only)

List price is $2,499, which means you'd have to be selling below $2,000 to have a $500 discount as you claim, unless you don't mean US dollars:

42nd Street Photo is only $230 below list, and most retailers are still selling the 5D Mark II at $2,399 body-only, just $100 below list.

Look on Adorama's site and you'll see that even refurb and second-hand 5D Mark IIs are still selling well above $2,000 -- $2,200 for a refurb, and over $2,250 used.

Canon EOS-5D Mark II Digital SLR Camera Body, 21.1 Megapixels with 3.0" TFT LCD - Refurbished
up north of the border, you can get a used 5D MkII for as low as $2000 O.B.O .
from what I can say, they are becoming more cheap, affordable and very much available in the used market. a lot of owners are selling them recently. and the MkIII might be the reason.
06-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #306
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
up north of the border, you can get a used 5D MkII for as low as $2000 O.B.O .
from what I can say, they are becoming more cheap, affordable and very much available in the used market. a lot of owners are selling them recently. and the MkIII might be the reason.
I'm not sure I'd consider a used price a basis of comparison for what Pentax or any other company needs to be responding to, to be honest.
06-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #307

I actually live in Canada and here one retailer (McBains) just dropped their price $500 and another (Vistek) dropped theirs $650, and yet another (Henry's) dropped theirs $600. It's bound to happen in the US also. Admittedly this is in Canadian dollars but the price here is usually quite a bit higher than in the states so seeing the price drop dramatically here may mean a drop coming in the US also.
06-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #308
Loyal Site Supporter

Canon Canada is running the rebate. It is the largest rebate I have seen Canon offer. It might mean they need to reduce inventory of the 5DII to make room for a new model.

Canon has hinted that the 5D series would not be on a 3 year update cycle, so we might see a new body on the 2 year mark (this sept).

06-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #309
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the only thing that kept me from getting a 5D MkII is the mounting incompatibility with K-mount lenses. the brand new/used price that the 5D Mk II have right now is pretty competitive and tempting offer if I may say.
06-07-2010, 11:58 PM   #310
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Canon Canada is running the rebate. It is the largest rebate I have seen Canon offer. It might mean they need to reduce inventory of the 5DII to make room for a new model.
Canon has been running rebates in Canada to offset the high $C relative to the $US. It's a currency hedge. Fuji adds a year of warranty, as other have. It may coincide with a new model, but mostly rebates are about clearing the channel regardless, these days more for FOREX than for any other reason. The parent company does not wish to anger its distributors and retailers, so it subsidizes the sale of older stock.
06-08-2010, 01:05 AM   #311
Forum Member

I actually live in Canada and here one retailer (McBains) just dropped their price $500 and another (Vistek) dropped theirs $650, and yet another (Henry's) dropped theirs $600. It's bound to happen in the US also. Admittedly this is in Canadian dollars but the price here is usually quite a bit higher than in the states so seeing the price drop dramatically here may mean a drop coming in the US also.
I think you got most of us confused here. Based on your statement it's more like the savings you gained by purchasing from them rather than the cost of the equipment itself. It would be better if you could next time, state savings of $500 rather than leaving a substantial amount for us here to imagine that it's a cost price.
07-01-2010, 12:00 AM   #312

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k5??

How about naming it ky......that would be slick!
07-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #313
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdave69 Quote
How about naming it ky......that would be slick!
Gahahahahaha!!
07-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #314
Veteran Member

Waiting that long in my opinion would be a mistake. I think if Hoya doesn't at least announce a full frame, and show off a prototype at Photokina then they never will and the people who have been waiting for one will have to switch brands.
I'm afraid you might be right. Even if they aren't planning on releasing one soon, they should at least announce the idea of one at Photokina. I don't think we'll be seeing FF in the next 6 months, or announced in at PK in the way that it'll be coming out the next month. But I think it would be very smart of Pentax to state their intentions of when they intend to make one. Although we all act like they're just been hush hush, keeping it all a secret. But the truth is, they've said repeatedly that they aren't going to pursue and that it isn't on the road map. And yet we all keep wondering, when is Pentax going to finally let us know what their FF plans are? They seem to be pretty dedicated to small right now. And going FF might not fit into that at the moment. I would like to see it, but I don't think we will too soon.
07-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #315
Site Supporter

I hope it's a K-9 since my wife wants a dog for x-mas.

Last edited by Fl_Gulfer; 07-02-2010 at 08:38 AM.