Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2010, 04:17 AM   #91

i will cry if something above k-7 comes out.... thats a slap in the face after only investing in it for much less than a year! some ISO would be nice though... and HD vid. Pentax cannot allow Canon to beat them out with video, since they were the first in DSLR. The rest of the camera is posh.

IMHO i dont care if they come out with something new tomorrow... as long as they come out with something new in 2-3 years down the road hah

03-07-2010, 04:21 AM   #92

what pentax NEEDS to do is fix that SDM or make better lenses without SDM. SDM isn't worth the price tag. not everyone is silently creepin' around and taking close up pictures of squirrels.
03-07-2010, 05:04 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kickboxingpenguin Quote
what pentax NEEDS to do is fix that SDM or make better lenses without SDM. SDM isn't worth the price tag. not everyone is silently creepin' around and taking close up pictures of squirrels.
By the time my SDM lenses have focused on the squirrel its normally gone elsewhere anyway.
03-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #94
Forum Member

Outstanding expectations. So I hope the new camera will include a "Good Picture mode", which will infact take a gorgeous picture just by its own. I will then have to sell my K-7.

03-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #95
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dande Quote
o I hope the new camera will include a "Good Picture mode", which will infact take a gorgeous picture just by its own.
how about 3 models, the cheapest with a "Good Picture Mode", the middle one with a "Great Picture Mode" and the most expensive one having the "Outstanding Picture Mode".
03-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #96
Veteran Member

damn, i just bought K20D, it seems I'm on my own then - I don't have even the lowest "Not-so-bad Picture Mode"!
03-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd wait til November when Pentax releases their 2nd body for the year 2010. who knows, that might be the FF dslr. so I'm not that optimistic about the first 2010 Pentax dslr. it may be a good to serve as a second body for the K-7. but why would I want that, if people could have the K-7 as a second body, and a Pentax FF as the main camera? I'd say, keep your money inside your wallets.

if there's now FF camera, then I'd just get myself a new Sigma 85/1.4.

03-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #98
Inactive Account

could this be the new k-5?

could this be the new k-5? will be announcedon March 11th in Japan at the camera & photo imaging show?
デジタル一眼レフカメラ:PENTAX 新製品予告サイト
03-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *mld* Quote
could this be the new k-5? will be announcedon March 11th in Japan at the camera & photo imaging show?
It's pretty much the consensus that is the 645D.
03-08-2010, 02:58 AM   #100
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by *mld* Quote
No this is a huge camera (compared to APS-C): it is the 645D. No FF, No APS-C.
03-08-2010, 05:14 AM   #101
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde Quote
damn, i just bought K20D, it seems I'm on my own then - I don't have even the lowest "Not-so-bad Picture Mode"!
OMG! Not even a "Fair-enough picture mode", life is hard.

QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde:
how about 3 models, the cheapest with a "Good Picture Mode", the middle one with a "Great Picture Mode" and the most expensive one having the "Outstanding Picture Mode".
Yup, definitely needed. All three. I will except the 645D will contain "OMG, are you Mr. Adams?" mode. Also, I really hope it will also have a fullframe sensor and a APS-C sensor. Switchable. Because I want to use all my beautiful lenses, and finally make worthwhile pictures.
03-09-2010, 07:31 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.Pョ Quote
Canon 1000D Body : 」295
Nikon D3000 Body : 」315
Pentax K-x Body : 」470
Apples and pies again?

In Germany, 1000D, D3000 and K-m are similiarly specced and priced. Yes, you can still buy the K-m kit for about 369 after tax -- and K-m is not marked deprecated on pentax.de homepage).

And 450D, D5000 and K-x are similiarly specced and priced again (450D: no video).

You have a 350 (kit) class for 10MP w/o LV and video,
and a 500 (kit) class for 12MP with LV and video, led in price by K-x with video.
Pentax is present in both categories. Where is the problem then?
03-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #103
Veteran Member

I would guess that given typical naming conventions position the higher numbered (more digits) models lower in terms of market positioning: Pentax K2000 < K200D < K20D, Canon 500D < 50D < 5D < 1D. Same goes for Nikon and Olympus. Sony doesn't seem to do this.

As for market positioning of a potential 'middle' body, sort of like a K200D spiritual successor, there is probably room, especially if the K-7 is replaced with a newer model that would likely be priced initially at over $1000 again. Possible enhancements over a K-x might be enthusiast-level features like weather sealing, wired remote jack, available battery grip, viewfinder AF points, maybe a higher res LCD? Don't know whether they would put a top LCD, second e-dial, or pentaprism viewfinder on this--include too many of these and it would likely cut into the flagship sales or result in uncompetitive pricing.
03-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #104
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
I would guess that given typical naming conventions position the higher numbered (more digits) models lower in terms of market positioning: Pentax K2000 < K200D < K20D, Canon 500D < 50D < 5D < 1D. Same goes for Nikon and Olympus. Sony doesn't seem to do this.
Yeah but this is Pentax
Seriously, Pentax has a long history of chosing the weirdest naming conventions possible or rather, they chose one and then do not obey it

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
As for market positioning of a potential 'middle' body, sort of like a K200D spiritual successor, there is probably room, especially if the K-7 is replaced with a newer model that would likely be priced initially at over $1000 again. Possible enhancements over a K-x might be enthusiast-level features like weather sealing, wired remote jack, available battery grip, viewfinder AF points, maybe a higher res LCD? Don't know whether they would put a top LCD, second e-dial, or pentaprism viewfinder on this--include too many of these and it would likely cut into the flagship sales or result in uncompetitive pricing.
Yep, as it is IMO, there's no space but if they move with two new cameras then why not: K-x -> K-5 -> K-3 or something like that.

If they had production capacities, IMO, they should have done K-m -> K-x -> K-7 instead of scrapping the K-m. It would have done an easy very low price body as Canon does (use old model as lowest end body).
03-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Apples and pies again?

In Germany, 1000D, D3000 and K-m are similiarly specced and priced. Yes, you can still buy the K-m kit for about 369 after tax -- and K-m is not marked deprecated on pentax.de homepage).

And 450D, D5000 and K-x are similiarly specced and priced again (450D: no video).

You have a 350 (kit) class for 10MP w/o LV and video,
and a 500 (kit) class for 12MP with LV and video, led in price by K-x with video.
Pentax is present in both categories. Where is the problem then?
If you are going to quote me then please print the whole post and not select the part that will help your argument.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.Pョ Quote
Here in the UK :

Canon 1000D Body : 」295
Nikon D3000 Body : 」315
Pentax K-x Body : 」470
The K-m is not available in the UK and even though Pentax Japan may not say its been discontinued that fact that we have not been able to get it for some months shows that it has been.

Hey, on the German Pentax web site there is no mention of the K200D being discontinued ... Does that mean they are still available to buy over the counter in Europe as well?

The first Pentax DSLR available IN THE UK (bold print incase you miss it AGAIN) is some 30% dearer than Canon or Nikon .. so which make do you think the customer moving up from a P&S camera is going to buy?