Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
If this were to become reality, The k200d body with K-x internals (safe of focuspoints) is what I'd put my money on. It's compatible with an already existing grip, and none of it really needs to be designed from scratch. And, really, that'd be a great camera.
I think Pentax actually wants to start from scratch. The K20D and K200D were great cameras, but they were to some extent marketplace failures. Pentax is just now on a roll with all the buzz and sales the K-x and K-7 are generating, and I think a perceived "fresh start" is very important for the company now. So: new body, or a modification of the K-m/K-x, definitely.

03-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
I think Pentax actually wants to start from scratch. The K20D and K200D were great cameras, but they were to some extent marketplace failures. Pentax is just now on a roll with all the buzz and sales the K-x and K-7 are generating, and I think a perceived "fresh start" is very important for the company now. So: new body, or a modification of the K-m/K-x, definitely.
If they'd call it K-5 and made some minor cosmetic adjustments, I don't think anyone'll go 'Ooh, that looks way too much like the K200D, I'm not buying that!'

Though I must say I don't know how much effort is required to redesign the externals of a body. Perhaps the R&D for this is low enough for it not to matter.
03-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #63
Veteran Member

I *hope* they'll grab the opportunity to redesign the bodies of lower-specc'd models - K-7 looks awesome, much much better than K20D.
03-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #64

While most people do prefer AAs for there versatility and longevity, it seems the finnickyness of those turns some people off. There is always the battery grip option but it would be awesome if we could have a camera that takes AA batteries and lithium-ion one (that would be shaped like 4 AA batteries next to each other). Really. They used to support this with pairs of AAs... why not scale to 4 then and we can all have our way with the same camera.

- Itai
Digital Camera Buying Guide, Photography Articles and Reviews | NeoCamera.com

03-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
I've heard that it doesn't; that it becomes almost meaningless with pixels that large.
Well, the DR part actually had quite a sucess in the form of the Fuji Finepix S5 Pro. That one used the SuperCCD HR which only gives more dynamic range (but did so quite succesfully in a Nikon D200 body) at the expense of resolution.

I certainly would hope EXR technology scales too but what do I know

- Itai
Neoluminance | Fine Art Photography by Itai Danan
03-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Maybe Somebody here are already beta testers of this new Camera. Of course they bind to stay Silent. =/
03-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde Quote
I *hope* they'll grab the opportunity to redesign the bodies of lower-specc'd models - K-7 looks awesome, much much better than K20D.
Do agree that it looks better, but K10/20 handles better for me, personally.
Handles, as in feels better in size and shape.

03-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by Roberts Quote
If it will be between K7 and Kx, and if we use our practical thinking and not wishful thinking, and taking into account that this body must compete with something like nikon d90, then it will be something like this (optimistic scenario):
- sensor from K-x
- viewfinder/pentaprism from k10/k20
- stainless steel chassis with plastic body like k10/k20
- metering system/auto-focus system from k7 (77 segment/SAFOX VIII+)
- WB system from k20/Kx, but may be from K7 (with additional sensor)
- weather sealed
- fps and max shutter from Kx
- upper LCD
- two wheels
- back LCD 3 inches 920k dots
- full manual video but without possibility to attach microphone
- all functions from Kx
- some functions from K7
- new body design in size approx. K7
- possibility attach additional battery grip
- full manual video
- price around 900-1000$

Of course that body can eat some K7 sales, but I think K7 will be replaced in some months after this new K5 and K7II will have new AF system, new sensor, full HD fully manual video and price around 1500$

And pessimistic scenario:
- sensor from K-x
- viewfinder/pentamirror from k100/k200
- stainless steel chassis with plastic body like k100/k200
- metering system/auto-focus system from k20 (16 segment/SAFOX VIII)
- WB system from k20/Kx
- weather sealed
- fps and max shutter from Kx
- upper LCD
- one wheel
- back LCD from Kx
- video from Kx or K7 without possibility to attach microphone
- all functions from Kx
- no functions from K7 exept if here mentioned
- new body design in size approx. K7
- possibility attach additional battery grip
- price around 800-900$
Agreed 100%, except that perhaps they could also use the Sony 14.2mp sensor and K-7 prism if the K-7 successor would move to a 100%, 1.0x prism. A combination of such a "K-5" and K-7 successor would really make people start to sit up and take notice of Pentax as a force to reckon with.

The second scenario you mention would be an exact copy of the K200D/K20D failure after the K100D/K10D success. Too little innovation, too little ambition and too much marginal playing around with unimportant features instead of bringing the cameras to the next level. It would be like Sony's plastic fantastic camera explosion just with fewer models, in other words, failure.

Last edited by CSpronken; 03-04-2010 at 05:39 PM.
03-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #69
Inactive Account

We totally need a Pentax Random Rumour Generator. You know, one of the ones that comes up with a new, patently absurd rumour every time you refresh the page:

"Pentax's next camera will feature an improved AF system powered by lampreys."

"The body of the K-8 will be made from balsa wood."

"Hoya fully intends to sell Pentax off to Kraft, and the new SLR will have a focusing screen made from delicious peanut butter."

"The new SDM II lenses will be powered by telekinesis."

Etc...
03-04-2010, 10:01 PM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde Quote
my local pentax distributor said few months ago almost exactly the same - this year's camera will be squeezed between K-x and K-7.

i understand some will be disappointed, failing to see how can new camera be squeezed between ~$1000 K-7 and ~$600 K-x, but those prices are just a dream for most of europe - over here, K-7 goes for almost $2000, K-x is priced a bit above $900. so *I* can see a place for even lower-specc'd model, too!
That sucks, you can get a K-x with the 18-55mm and 55-300mm lens on Ebay for $700. Even with Paypal fees and shipping to Europe, that shouldn't be more than $770, $800 max? You should find someone to export it to ya.

Oh, and I would be happy with the K-x with weather sealing, focus confirmation lights and top LCD for this camera.

Last edited by hawk1500; 03-04-2010 at 10:12 PM.
03-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Do agree that it looks better, but K10/20 handles better for me, personally.
Handles, as in feels better in size and shape.
Man, I'm gonna have to strenuously disagree. I went from the K10D to the K-7, and while I liked the feel of the K10D, I love the K-7.

I'd be sad if they went back.
03-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #72
Inactive Account

The size of K-7 is perfect, in my hands....

The reason is: That with the BG4 grip, the size is still perfect. Not to big and bulky, and enough size for big hands. Perfect, imho......
And if one wants to be smaller, i just take the grip of and slam a tiny lens to it and im good to go light!
03-04-2010, 11:22 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Man, I'm gonna have to strenuously disagree. I went from the K10D to the K-7, and while I liked the feel of the K10D, I love the K-7.

I'd be sad if they went back.
Idem here. K10 is really good but K7 is so much more.
My K10 was a nice tool but I almst feel my K7 like a friend

Last edited by thibs; 03-04-2010 at 11:28 PM.
03-04-2010, 11:50 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote

"The body of the K-8 will be made from balsa wood."
Wow, fully waterproof camera capable of floating ... look forward to that.
03-05-2010, 01:30 AM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-5 could have not 12 MP sensor.
If they change it, I hope it will keep the same low-light performances...