Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax 28mm: Am I Dreaming?

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the lens section... but earlier this week, while in a hurry, I thought I saw a rumor about a possible Pentax 28mm f/2.0 prime - or something like that. Now, I may have been dreaming or confused by my oft-stated desire for a cheap(er) fast Pentax prime in the 28-35mm range.

I seem to have only spotty results when I run searches on Pentax Forums. So, I'm just asking: Did anyone else see a post like this? I ask because, while I intend to begin collecting Pentax DA Limited primes, I still want something fast and cheap for low-light work. Since I still want auto-focus, I'm thinking about picking up the Sigma 28mm f/1.8. No, it's not a Pentax Limited but it'll do as a "normal" low-light item. Unless that rumor really exists.

If administrators feel this post should be moved to the lens section, no problem.

03-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The rumour exists, but that doesn't mean the lens exists.

Does a tree make a noise if it falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear it...?

03-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #3

The best way to work out is a Pentax rumour is true or not is to work out if it's

a) a reasonable idea
or
b) fulfilling a need in a timely manner.

If it's either of those things, you're bang out of luck. Alas, this 28/2 is a good idea and would be a timely introduction to the range. Draw your own conclusions...
03-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, yes... if even the rumor is really out there it doesn't mean the lens will be built. And even if Pentax has plans for such a product, past performance would indicate it could be quite a while before it might appear in stores.

Normally, I tend to have patience but I really don't want to wait until something like Photokina toward the end of the year. There are too many images to take between now and then. I'm firmly in the Pentax camp but this is a classic example of how the company hurts itself. Even the faithful are beginning to run out of patience in certain areas. If they would at least give us an indication that something is planned, it would be a big help.

I'd love to stick with all Pentax glass but it looks like the Sigma 28mm f/1.8 will find a home in my kit.

03-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
you do know that the FA 35mm F2 i still available on the pentax webite (more expensive than before, yet still no where near the 31mm ltd).
03-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
you do know that the FA 35mm F2 i still available on the pentax webite (more expensive than before, yet still no where near the 31mm ltd).
and you do realise that there is quite a difference between 28 and 35mm right:-)
03-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If they do make a 28mm or similar I hope it's a f/1.4 or f/1.8... f/2 probably isn't enough to shift me from a f/2.8 zoom or other prime options unless it's small and quiet. Pentax is missing a super-fast standard AF lens and the only other real option is the big Sigmas, and the f/1.4 30mm isn't HSM for Pentax or I'd have it already.

03-06-2010, 10:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Pentax is missing a super-fast standard AF lens
Pentax is missing a whole lot of stuff...

edit: but a super-fast normal prime is not one of those things. See the FA Limited 31mm F1.8 for example.

Last edited by GoremanX; 03-06-2010 at 11:00 PM.
03-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Not sure how I forgot about the 31mm...

It's expensive.. but then photography's not cheap, you pay for quality, so I don't really take exception to that. However, AF's not the best from what I've read. Not that it's not accurate, just a tad slow and noisy. Perhaps part of the old lens design, I'm not sure. But yes, that would be the single ultra-fast standard choice I know of.
03-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote

Does a tree make a noise if it falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear it...?

I'm going to say no because I believe that 'noise' is what has been interpreted by the brain when sound waves hit the ear drum.

Now, if there are other animals in the area I believe they WILL hear the noise.

Whatya think?
03-07-2010, 12:15 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Sigma 28/1.8 macro?
Huge and slow to focus but vert useful on aps-c.
03-07-2010, 01:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
I'm going to say no because I believe that 'noise' is what has been interpreted by the brain when sound waves hit the ear drum.

Whatya think?
Noise happens whether you experience it or not. If the tree fell and never landed, that may be reason for suspicion though. Perpetually falling.

Jason
03-07-2010, 02:21 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Pentax is missing a whole lot of stuff...

edit: but a super-fast normal prime is not one of those things. See the FA Limited 31mm F1.8 for example.
f1.8 is fast?

I'm sure we'll get an ultra-compact f4.2 27.3mm (or some other weird bunch o' numbers) made from aluminium, labeled as a Limited, and available for the low, low price of $980US RRP.
03-07-2010, 02:39 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
earlier this week, while in a hurry, I thought I saw a rumor about a possible Pentax 28mm f/2.0 prime - or something like that. Now, I may have been dreaming or confused by my oft-stated desire for a cheap(er) fast Pentax prime in the 28-35mm range.

I assume you were referring to this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/89786-645d-k-m2-new-le...ive-motor.html

If so, then... I wouldn't want to spoil your party, but... recently (before PMA) the same magazine published some 'predictions' (they are only making predictions, which are not based on leaks or anything like that) about what Sony's next cameras will be. Needless to say, PMA showed that they were waaaay off. So I wouldn't really expect their Pentax lens-related predictions to become reality.
03-07-2010, 08:23 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote

Whatya think?
Well technically the noise from a tree falling is just energy being imparted due to the tree hitting things, so its not really due to interpretation, more just the air around the tree being vibrated in such a manner. Compare it to say, `i left a wallet on a table. If i come back and its gone, but i didnt see who took it, was it stolen?` tad different but same principles.

At the OP, personally i tried a 28mm M lens and the focal length just didnt do it for me. Would much rather my 40mm, maybe just a tad wider. I hear lots of people call it a perfect normal lens though so guess i might be alone here