Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
man you peaple are so freaky ! yall talking about 14/16/18/100..... bit who cares !!! It's weather proof, thats right you can take your shower with it now thats cool.

03-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
CMOS sensor the analogue to digital converter is at the pixel level, that's basically the difference. A side effect of this is that it allows downsampling that is use for lire view and video.

On CCD, the pixels are emptied of their electrical charge one after the other and the resulting electrical stream is converted to digital. That's why CCD is mentioned as being a more "primitive" technology.
it maybe a primitive technology, but CCD has a great DR.
03-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
it maybe a primitive technology, but CCD has a great DR.
not greater than CMOS - see the abovementioned post from Emil Martinec.
03-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
In Raw, every sensor dot have a color, the pattern being organized in a bayer matrix, to display the image every pixel will be interpolated from the dots and its neightboors. That's the reason why Raw readers will have different rendering on default settings.
Good point, I wasn't thinking clearly at 6:30 in the morning.

03-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
And so it begins. First the measurebators find some minutae and turn it into a fatal flaw, and then the apologists come out of the woodwork.
It's a very strange world.
I do so love it when Pentax stirs the pot

DPReview Canon Talk

Running Scared?
03-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #36
Veteran Member

And so it begins. First the measurebators find some minutae and turn it into a fatal flaw, and then the apologists come out of the woodwork.
It's a very strange world.
Indeed. So, are you going to get one? I'm pretty sure you're in the camp that would make real pics instead of endless series of test targets...

Personally I would love to take this camera to some of my favorite landscapes...
03-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
Indeed. So, are you going to get one? I'm pretty sure you're in the camp that would make real pics instead of endless series of test targets...

Personally I would love to take this camera to some of my favorite landscapes...
This one makes me wish I had bought a 645 rather than a 6x7 25 years ago.
No, I won't be getting one, but I will be rather envious of the people who do.

03-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can use your 6x7 lenses on the 645 body.
03-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #39
Damn Brit

Let's wait until we find out how wide the green line is first Bill. If there isn't one, we can drown our sorrows together.
03-11-2010, 12:49 AM   #40
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
That's wrong. The 3 basic colour cell red blue and green are used to make up ONE colour, not 3. Each colour is calculated from the sum of the 3 basic ones. So ONE and EACH colour is made from: C=(R+B+G) So it will make (2^14)^1 not ^3
Extremely and completely wrong.
The total number of colors is obtained by multiplying the count of shades for each of the primary colors.

For the computer screen, this is 256R * 256G * 256B = 16,777,216 colors.

When they say that the sensor has 14-bit color depth they refer as 14 bit per component, , yielding the (2^14)^3.

And that is because of the sensor's bayer pattern, where actually only one component data is read from each pixel. The rest is obtained by the demosaic algorithm during raw processing.

If a sensor would produce 14 bits of RGB data, then the camera could produce only 16384 distinct colors
03-11-2010, 05:34 AM   #41
Veteran Member

At 10k I don't think I will ever get one either, but as sure as hell would like to rent one for a trip or two. It looks like the $30k MF are being rented out for $1.5k/wk. and I am hoping the 645D would be around ~$500 with a lens, and that should be fine, in fact I wish one would be available in July for my trip to Yellowstone. But, with not many rentals not carrying Pentax lenses, I am not too sure whther they will caryy this at all
03-11-2010, 06:00 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Let's wait until we find out how wide the green line is first Bill. If there isn't one, we can drown our sorrows together.
Erm... no green line on CCD sensors.
03-11-2010, 06:15 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You can use your 6x7 lenses on the 645 body.
Stop that.
03-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #44
Veteran Member

The new Mamiya and the 645D are two very different digital medium format cameras.
Yes both are 40Mp, but that is about the only thing that is similar between them.
The Mamiya has faster continous shooting and more bits to the D/A conversion (which means nothing in real world, but still - it has it).

Now, the 645D has a modern AF system with 9 cross sensors and supporting in-lens motors. It also ha 77 segment metering and different image tones for photographers that wants to be creative in the camera instead of being post processing professionals. (image tones are like using different films...).
The 645D is weather sealed and cold protected and the first lens for it is also weather sealed and cold protected.
The 645D goes up to ISO 1000, the Mamiya stops at ISO 800.
The 645D has Pentax standard HyperProgram controls, multiple exposure and many other neat things borrowed from their top DLSR's.

So the Mamiya has speed and is more expensive.
The Pentax has everything else at a lower price.
The choice is yours...

I wouldn't say that the 645D looses out to the competition. It depends what you want in a camera. The 645D has more features than the Mamiya and combines this with a rugged built designed for outdoor use.
03-11-2010, 06:50 AM   #45

Mirek, you are all wrong, if 14 where 16384 colors, than your 12 bit from your APS-C will be like shit, no offense.

14 bits of color it really is 4 billion colors! Read the 123di for more details...