Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Are we witnessing an invasion of the Nikon loyalists and trolls, those minions who revere Ken Rockwell for his insightful BS?
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
This whole thread is preposterous. Anyone who takes it seriously is preposterous. I think it belongs in the "Politics, Religion, Etc." sub-forum.
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
April 1st is looming...
Yeah... These. The 645D sure is going to cause some serious gene mutations in every single chromosomes of every fanboy of other brands. Prepare for the upcoming wave of Nikanon fanboys manifested in a uncontrollable state of psychotic jealous rage.

Last edited by LeDave; 03-10-2010 at 04:39 PM.
03-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Are we witnessing an invasion of the Nikon loyalists and trolls, those minions who revere Ken Rockwell for his insightful BS?
Well anyone is welcome over anytime .....mind you, from Ken's blog it's obvious that he finds buttons and things like that frustrating and confusing so he would probably end up annoying everyone with his mumblings. It's not a camera for simpletons you know.
03-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #18

D700K

D700 with a K mount

Only in my dreams...
03-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #19
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Does this mean Nikon is going bankrupt?
IIRC, in his annual Outlook piece for 2010 Ken Rockwell did predict that a major, well-known camera brand would disappear forever.

03-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #20

What's even funnier is that Ken Rockwell is supporting the newly announced Mamiya DM22. A 22 megapixel (completely eliminates the point of a medium format DSLR) camera with subpar construction, and a very high price. Seriously, who would buy this thing? The D3X is a far superior camera in just about every way I can think of, including price. Ken Rockwell never ceases to amaze me with his naivety.

Last edited by Nerdold Nerdith; 03-10-2010 at 08:51 PM.
03-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #21
Inactive Account

I think he's pissed because he'll no longer be able to afford all that gear after California closes down his tax dodge- sorry, source of income.

I wonder if he knows the bleedin' 645D is only ten grand.

Still, though, there are a lot of other fanbois who are convinced that only their chosen brand can do something that impresses them, and therefore, if another brand comes up with something they like, the only conclusion they're willing to draw is that their brand had a hand in it.

Really - the handgrips look similar? That's it? I'm not sure if they noticed, but pretty much all human hands look similar.
03-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #22
Zav
Pentaxian

Pentax + Nikon = Pentakon.

Ok... I'm out of here.
03-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IIRC, in his annual Outlook piece for 2010 Ken Rockwell did predict that a major, well-known camera brand would disappear forever.
You know it. I read his review and there is way too much good stuff in there to make fun of him with....

03-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Good old Rice Rockwell. Everyone that visits his site be sure to donate $5 to him because he has a family to raise. His site sounded more like a charity drive than camera site.
03-11-2010, 12:06 AM   #25

I heard this about a year ago that Nikon was developing an "X" format. A medium format sensor in a smaller frame body. Much similar to what is out now. I also heard that they were developing specialized lenses for them also. Again rumors abound. Either way medium format sensor cameras, you are looking at well about $12,000+ each. Thats a really low estimate. Doesn't Leica have one out now? I think it's $25,000 for the body. Too rich for my blood.
03-11-2010, 02:21 AM   #26

Location: Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa
645 and firsts

If my memory serves me right the 645 format came from Mamya. Pentax has many first from way back and we all known them.
First fixed pentaprism
First instant return mirror
First through the lens metering
First automatic metering system, Spotamatic ES.
And many more

They have even made lens for Nikon and many others and collective development amongst the different camera builders is not a new thing it has and will always happen and go on. If one has to make progress one has to share developments, just like the car companies do, many cars have the same power plants with just a logo cylinder head top, gearboxes, wheel drums etc. why should the camera companies not also do so!
Pentax has been innovated and always be and that is why I use a Pentax.

If these new remours are true it would be interesting to see the result.
03-11-2010, 02:47 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
You've got things like this post from Luminous Landscape forums too:

The obvious logic being: "this seems like a good camera so it must be a Nikon"
Obviously, Ken Rockwell made a mistake when he chose the sticker for the 645D...

(For those who don't get this one, let's remind you how things really work in the camera business:

"* Before Nikon or Canon releases a camera they go to Ken and they ask him to test them, the best cameras get a Nikon sticker and the less good get a Canon sticker

*Once Ken tested a camera, he said I cant even put Canon on this one,thats how Pentax was born "

(Quote from "Ken Rockwell facts")
03-11-2010, 04:54 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Pentax simply took technology invented for their DSLR-system and tuned them to medium format, so it was not that expensive to be first with those features in a digital MF.
03-11-2010, 04:59 AM   #29
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Pentax simply took technology invented for their DSLR-system and tuned them to medium format, so it was not that expensive to be first with those features in a digital MF.
Pentax took technology they were developing for the 645D and released it in the K-7 to spread development costs over more units.

Can't prove it, but I bet its true.
03-11-2010, 05:10 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

I certainly don't see it as easy for either Canon or Nikon to get into the medium format business. They don't really have the experience, or a stable of lenses from the past to draw on. On the other hand, Pentax has been working on medium format behind the scenes for years. Still, the idea of Pentax and Nikon working together is silly. Pentax works with companies that make electronics/sensors, whereas my understanding is that Nikon pretty much buys all of theirs from Sony.