Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 05:12 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Either way you slice it...

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pentax took technology they were developing for the 645D and released it in the K-7 to spread development costs over more units.

Can't prove it, but I bet its true.
Now that Pentax has APS-C and MF covered, I don't see any great technical difficulties in creating a FF body. I'd imagine that the biggest challenge would be SR for a FF sensor. Other than that, it seems like Pentax's biggest hurdle in entering the FF market would be economic.

03-11-2010, 05:26 AM   #32
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pentax took technology they were developing for the 645D and released it in the K-7 to spread development costs over more units.

Can't prove it, but I bet its true.
Agreed. PRIME engine, 920K 3" LCD, SDM, SAFOX upgrades.

It might've been in another thread, and I'm hoping someone can confirm this for me, but didn't they do the same with 645N and the MZ series cameras?
03-11-2010, 07:02 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
Now that Pentax has APS-C and MF covered, I don't see any great technical difficulties in creating a FF body. I'd imagine that the biggest challenge would be SR for a FF sensor. Other than that, it seems like Pentax's biggest hurdle in entering the FF market would be economic.
The problem is lenses. Their 645 lens lineup is far more complete than the FF lenses that they still make.
03-11-2010, 07:54 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Pentax simply took technology invented for their DSLR-system and tuned them to medium format, so it was not that expensive to be first with those features in a digital MF.
Pentax also took decades of experience with their 645 / 645n and 645II lines of cameras and added digital........

03-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote

I tend to agree with that. There is just not enough market out there for another FF vendor. Those die hard Canikon fans are not going to change (not too sure about this either, I remember the first netbook come out from Asus, everybody tease at that "who wants that little toy"). The only way Pentax can generate new market is when the FF sensor price comes down to entice a wider audience. Until then, I think Pentax would be taking a wait-and-see position.
03-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #36

I really hope this opens the door to a Pentax FF body. I'm looking to upgrade from (but not get rid of), my K10D, and I'm seriously considering a Sony a850. If Pentax took the same approach and made it a good still camera, and kept the bells and whistles to a minimum (HD video etc), I think it could be a winner. At least it would keep me from migrating to another system.
03-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Elva Quote
If my memory serves me right the 645 format came from Mamya. Pentax has many first from way back and we all known them.
First fixed pentaprism
First instant return mirror
First through the lens metering
First automatic metering system, Spotamatic ES.
And many more

They have even made lens for Nikon and many others and collective development amongst the different camera builders is not a new thing it has and will always happen and go on. If one has to make progress one has to share developments, just like the car companies do, many cars have the same power plants with just a logo cylinder head top, gearboxes, wheel drums etc. why should the camera companies not also do so!
Pentax has been innovated and always be and that is why I use a Pentax.

If these new remours are true it would be interesting to see the result.
Technically, the first fixed pentaprism came out in the Contax S. I have the D version and it was made before the AP came out. The AP was the first slr with a fixed pentaprism & instant return mirror. Technically, the first instant return mirror was done on the Asahiflex which Asahi Optical never associated the "Pentax" name with.

03-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #38
Veteran Member

It is amazing the bzzzz out there that the Pentax MF camera is generating. I found a Nikon Flckr group that was debating whether they should start discussing MF cameras.

Its clear that Nikon and Canon owners have to migrate .... they have no "upgrade path" if they stay where they are :-) :-)

I've got my helmet on - INCOMING

What's also amazing is the prior to release criticism being heaped on Pentax for continuing to announce a MF format, how that has changed to growing admiration for shaking things up, and perhaps creating a new niche. Good for Pentax!!!!

I think if i was a share owner in one of the bigger MF camera manufacturers, i would seriously think about reducing holdings. I think i see a crack in the MF rice bowl, its not made of titanium after all :-)
03-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
It is amazing the bzzzz out there that the Pentax MF camera is generating. I found a Nikon Flckr group that was debating whether they should start discussing MF cameras.

Its clear that Nikon and Canon owners have to migrate .... they have no "upgrade path" if they stay where they are :-) :-)

I've got my helmet on - INCOMING

What's also amazing is the prior to release criticism being heaped on Pentax for continuing to announce a MF format, how that has changed to growing admiration for shaking things up, and perhaps creating a new niche. Good for Pentax!!!!

I think if i was a share owner in one of the bigger MF camera manufacturers, i would seriously think about reducing holdings. I think i see a crack in the MF rice bowl, its not made of titanium after all :-)
Said this on an another thread - but - I just love it when Pentax stirs the pot - and they've been stirring a lot lately.
03-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
That's a good one! Unfortunately this won't actually create an upgrade path for us either. The winner of this game will be the manufacturer who comes out with a medium format camera and lens line-up that can be used on their cropped sensor bodies as well.
03-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
That's a good one! Unfortunately this won't actually create an upgrade path for us either. The winner of this game will be the manufacturer who comes out with a medium format camera and lens line-up that can be used on their cropped sensor bodies as well.
I thought we could use 645N lenses on a K-mount with an adapter...
03-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #42
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Yeah... These. The 645D sure is going to cause some serious gene mutations in every single chromosomes of every fanboy of other brands. Prepare for the upcoming wave of Nikanon fanboys manifested in a uncontrollable state of psychotic jealous rage.
Absolutely. A Canon 5D owner I know told me today that the 645D is very pricey for an "enthusiast's camera". I mean really. A 40 MP, $10K amateur's camera! This is the kind of delusional snobbery that Canikon advertising conjures up.
03-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #43

Maybe Nikon want to compete with the gf1 and gf2. Who would be better to work with than Pentax who is the leader in miniaturisation? I have long dreamt of a digital 110, using the old 110 connector. For such a camera I could live with the 2.8 limitation, as long as lenses are crystal sharp on that aperture. Funny enough i was thinking of this last week, way before there were any rumours. On the other hand someone might have heard me discussing this, so maybe I was starting the rumour :-)
03-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #44
Veteran Member

The rumors about Nikon developing their own D-MF camera system was about the "MX" kit with a new line of lenses to cover the bigger than "full" format sensor. The rumors included the supposedly insider info from a Nikon emloyee that stated they were testing the new camera system and intended it to be released at about the same time as the D3.

The rumors of Pentax developing a 645D over the years pointed to the possibility of an inexpensive MF kit but it was the Leica S2 system that truly moved the bar. Sure it's expensive but then so is an M9 compared to a KX. The real news here is the market is just now growing beyond the notion that sports photog camera gear is appropriate for all types of photography. For that we can give thanks.
03-14-2010, 12:19 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
The rumors about Nikon developing their own D-MF camera system was about the "MX" kit with a new line of lenses to cover the bigger than "full" format sensor. The rumors included the supposedly insider info from a Nikon emloyee that stated they were testing the new camera system and intended it to be released at about the same time as the D3.

The rumors of Pentax developing a 645D over the years pointed to the possibility of an inexpensive MF kit but it was the Leica S2 system that truly moved the bar. Sure it's expensive but then so is an M9 compared to a KX. The real news here is the market is just now growing beyond the notion that sports photog camera gear is appropriate for all types of photography. For that we can give thanks.
B Grace, I think that's what happened then. I never heard about this. But how do people connect that Nikon rumor with Pentax? I don't see the connection instead of being MF. Did that Nikon employee mentioned about working together with Pentax?