Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 06:42 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Isn't it true that all Nikon lenses were made in the F mount too? I don't usually see Nikon users talking about all of their old lenses, maybe some of the good old film ones, but for them it's all digital.

Well they're totally full of themselves usually too so that might be part of it.
That's probably true. But from the wikipedia:

"Incompatibilities do exist, however, and adventurous F-mount users should consult product documentation in order to avoid problems. For example, many electronic camera bodies cannot meter without a CPU enabled lens, the aperture of G designated lenses cannot be controlled without an electronic camera body, and non-AI lenses (manufactured prior to 1977) can cause mechanical damage to later model bodies unless they are modified to meet the AI specification."

04-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
That's probably true. But from the wikipedia:

"Incompatibilities do exist, however, and adventurous F-mount users should consult product documentation in order to avoid problems. For example, many electronic camera bodies cannot meter without a CPU enabled lens, the aperture of G designated lenses cannot be controlled without an electronic camera body, and non-AI lenses (manufactured prior to 1977) can cause mechanical damage to later model bodies unless they are modified to meet the AI specification."
Well I suppose that could be comparable to how the K lenses from Pentax won't work on the newer bodies unless they're modified. It just seems like Nikon users only care about their newest lenses though.
04-16-2010, 01:46 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Well I suppose that could be comparable to how the K lenses from Pentax won't work on the newer bodies unless they're modified. It just seems like Nikon users only care about their newest lenses though.
I don't see what you are refering to. All genuine Pentax K lenses can be put on any Pentax digital body without much after though.

With Nikon, you may have to drill the mount to make it compatible.
04-16-2010, 01:49 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
I don't see what you are refering to. All genuine Pentax K lenses can be put on any Pentax digital body without much after though.

With Nikon, you may have to drill the mount to make it compatible.
I thought that all the Nikon cameras were compatible with all the F mount lenses.

Did Nikon use another mount before that? I don't know much about their history before digital cameras.

04-16-2010, 02:06 AM   #110
Veteran Member

I thought that all the Nikon cameras were compatible with all the F mount lenses.

Did Nikon use another mount before that? I don't know much about their history before digital cameras.
They removed the screw drive motor on the lowest part of their lineup and they made much more evolve the mount, including modifying the physical specifications.

When willing to use old F-mount lenses on Nikon camera, you do have to check for compatibility.

Pentax is a no-brainer compared to it, that's part of the charm.
04-16-2010, 02:08 AM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
They removed the screw drive motor on the lowest part of their lineup and they made much more evolve the mount, including modifying the physical specifications.

When willing to use old F-mount lenses on Nikon camera, you do have to check for compatibility.

Pentax is a no-brainer compared to it, that's part of the charm.
Oh, I already knew that, I've only had a D50 though which does have the built in motor, so I didn't have to worry about that.

But in essence, it could be compared to the K series lenses, which have to be modified before put on a Pentax DSLR, right?
04-16-2010, 02:37 AM   #112
Banned

Oh, I already knew that, I've only had a D50 though which does have the built in motor, so I didn't have to worry about that.

But in essence, it could be compared to the K series lenses, which have to be modified before put on a Pentax DSLR, right?
no pentax Kmount lens has to be modified. no takumar m42 mount lens has to be modified. hell no takumar m37 lens would have to be modified.

people make mods yes, such as permanently attaching a modified kmount adapter to the lens and then drilling a notch on the lens so it can be used like a kmount lens. or they disable the open-aperture coupling on kmount lenses to allow for stopping down of the aperture (so Av can be used instead of using the green button)

neither of these mods are necessary in order to be mounted or used on a Kmount digital SLR.