Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Adorama Workshop! Filmmaking with the Pentax K-7: The Making of Uncle Jack

Holy crap! A Pentax-sponsored workshop!

Adorama - Workshops

Seminar Description:

Shooting HD video with a digital SLR is rapidly gaining in popularity. To demonstrate the many possibilities of shooting HD video on the Pentax K-7 digital SLR with an assortment of lenses, Pentax recently commissioned Futuristic Films of Denver Colorado to create an entertaining short film.
Join Jasper Gray as he presents the story behind the making of the short film Uncle Jack. He will guide participants through the different scenes, lighting, and camera settings used in various sequences, as well as discuss the technical aspects and workflow from shooting to post-production.
Uncle Jack was shot in Denver entirely at night in some very challenging shooting situations, using the smc Pentax DA Star 16-50mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM, the smc Pentax DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fish-Eye, and the smc Pentax DA Star 60-250mm fF4 ED (IF) SDM lenses.
Dont miss out on this great opportunity to learn about the nuts and bolts of the video functionality of the K-7 and the craft of filmmaking with a digital SLR.
There will be Pentax reps to answer your questions, and a number of K-7 cameras and a selection of lenses on hand.

Price: $25.00
Each attendee will receive a $25.00 coupon at the Seminar in exchange for a copy of their registration receipt.
The coupon will be valid for 30 days towards the purchase of any merchandise when presented at either Adoramas retail store at 42 West 18th Street, New York, or for an online purchase at Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera
Schedule: Thursday, April 29, 2010 5:30PM - 7:30PM
Location: The Adorama Building, 42 West 18th Street, 5th floor.

03-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Haha, someone should go there and ask about SDM to the reps, or better yet bring a handful of failed SDM lenses and ask them to help.
03-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #3

Original Poster
That was my first thought. Don't have an SDM, but shall I bring my Tamron 17-50 that I bought instead?
03-13-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Haha, someone should go there and ask about SDM to the reps, or better yet bring a handful of failed SDM lenses and ask them to help.
way to encourage the presence and participation of Pentax representatives at events... pepper some poor, unsuspecting volunteer with a bunch of questions completely unrelated with the subject just because you're bitter about something. I'm sure the guy standing there, who probably has nothing to do with QC or lens design, will really appreciate it.

I'm bitter about SDM issues, too, but I wouldn't do such a thing as you're suggesting.

03-13-2010, 04:09 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
way to encourage the presence and participation of Pentax representatives at events... pepper some poor, unsuspecting volunteer with a bunch of questions completely unrelated with the subject just because you're bitter about something. I'm sure the guy standing there, who probably has nothing to do with QC or lens design, will really appreciate it.

I'm bitter about SDM issues, too, but I wouldn't do such a thing as you're suggesting.
++;

There's a time and a place for everything. However, a workshop is not the place to complain about failed SDM lenses.
03-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I discussed SDM problems when there was still a Pentax rep in my town

He told me he had handled warranty returns/repairs before becoming a rep and he said he never once had any SDM motor failure lens returned for repair. That was back when Pentax still had a inhouse repair shop so he should know. Back when I knew of several SDM owners in USA that blogged about SDM failures and repairs.

I didn't confront him with what I read otherwise. So I bought Eos stuff new instead soon after the chat. One of my few reasons to buy canon instead of more pentax. So far for me, Canon has had zero failures zero QC issues some 24 months and counting... And I still read of SDM Failures.

I say bring SDM up, respectfully, and see if the "NO SDM Failures" script remains the same
03-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #7

Original Poster
Pretty sure they'll be on the clock!

Good point, Goremanx and joakimfors. I expect that they'll be prepared to address the issue, though, since they're sponsoring an event at one of the go-to stores for camera equipment. And it says the lenses will be available to play with. Maybe they'll address it if an SDM breaks at the event.
03-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #8

Pick up an EF-S17-85mm USM zoom lens. In the store where I work, we serviced 29 of those in 2008 for the lens would not AF. I had two customers who went through three of each of those lenses before finally bailing on the lens. I will not bore you with the disproportionate number of Canon lens repairs ranging from causing Error 99 codes to lenses revealing their fragility. This is not a rant about Pentax being better than Canon (or anybody for that matter), rather it's an illustration that regardless of the brand there are frustrations abound. Every single week we have customers who switch brands due to frustration with brand reliability. Every time somebody switches out their gear, I think of Dave Justice of the Atlanta Braves divorcing Halle Barry. It just goes to show that no matter how hot you are, someone will grow tired of shaggin' you.

By the way, Pentax has not had in house repair since before the introduction of SDM focusing motors. Lastly I own all six DA* lenses. My 16-50 was purchased in July of 2007 and it is still running flawlessly. I am stil excluded from the petition...

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote

He told me he had handled warranty returns/repairs before becoming a rep and he said he never once had any SDM motor failure lens returned for repair. That was back when Pentax still had a inhouse repair shop so he should know. Back when I knew of several SDM owners in USA that blogged about SDM failures and repairs.

I didn't confront him with what I read otherwise. So I bought Eos stuff new instead soon after the chat. One of my few reasons to buy canon instead of more pentax. So far for me, Canon has had zero failures zero QC issues some 24 months and counting... And I still read of SDM Failures.

I say bring SDM up, respectfully, and see if the "NO SDM Failures" script remains the same

03-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote
My 16-50 was purchased in July of 2007 and it is still running flawlessly. I am stil excluded from the petition...
That's good to know that it has lasted for 3 years and still no SDM problems. Puts some thoughts that good batches may keep it's value as the old MF lenses; yet again I don't know what makes a good SDM and a bad SDM because I don't really know what causes the problem.

Although this is a workshop, I'm pretty sure if you bring up some SDM problems, it will add on some more pressure and more notice to Pentax than not to mention at all; every bit helps.

To keep on topic, if anybody here goes, you all should take a bunch of pictures and post them.
03-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
It just goes to show that no matter how hot you are, someone will grow tired of shaggin' you.
I thought it wasn't that he got tired of shaggin' her, but that he couldn't stop shaggin'.

Last edited by mulanrouge; 03-13-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: OOPS! Wrong ex-husband.
03-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't mind that people start SDM threads where they can complain about issues that they have had.

I also don't mind that there has been a petition started to try to to get Pentax to address these problems. This seems totally fair.

But does there really have to be an SDM complaint in a thread that has nothing to do with SDM besides the fact that the filmmaker used those lenses effectively, and probably manually focused quite a few of the shots anyway? I could see complaining about adding manual control for video in this thread before it would make sense to complain about SDM.

Isn't it kind of cool that this workshop exists, for example? I can't go to it, but if I lived in New York I'd probably try to go.
03-13-2010, 10:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
But does there really have to be an SDM complaint in a thread that has nothing to do with SDM besides the fact that the filmmaker used those lenses effectively, and probably manually focused quite a few of the shots anyway? I could see complaining about adding manual control for video in this thread before it would make sense to complain about SDM.
That was my first thought too. I saw the title of the thread, opened it up to read it, and the first reply was "nail the Pentax rep with SDM stuff!". Kinda disappointing.

I'd love to go too, the cost seems more than fair, and I think that short film was a lot of fun to watch. But NYC is waaaay down there...
03-13-2010, 11:28 PM   #13

Original Poster
I wonder that this event is a way for Pentax to test the waters from the masses. This is the first Pentax-sponsored event I've noticed since I started investigating Adorama's workshops in October. Canon and Nikon sponsor workshops all the time. Maybe they'll do more if this one sells out.
03-14-2010, 08:48 AM   #14

Good to see Pentax is finally promoting the video-capabilities of their dslr a little more. I hope this event is going to be a success and Pentax will see how important this market is. Also Im still hoping for the firmware update offering manual control. If there is something like a perfect place for that, this is it. Otherwise Im curious to see the reaction of the Pentax Reps when people start asking questions
03-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

If past predicts the future then they'll say there are no SDM failures

If past predicts the future then they'll say there are no SDM failures

Thats my best guess, if asked that what the reply will be:

No problems with SDM lenses. Next question

QuoteOriginally posted by dom777 Quote
Good to see Pentax is finally promoting the video-capabilities of their dslr a little more. I hope this event is going to be a success and Pentax will see how important this market is. Also Im still hoping for the firmware update offering manual control. If there is something like a perfect place for that, this is it. Otherwise Im curious to see the reaction of the Pentax Reps when people start asking questions