Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bigma for Pentax

I'm on vacation and just rented a laptop for 2 weeks so i'm a little behind on the latest news on the new bigma for pentax. Has anyone in pentax land bought one or are there any reviews or pics taken with it.Adorama is getting around $1600 for the lens--thanks---charliezap

03-15-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

t's not been released yet has it?

Normally Canon and Nikon mounts come first anyway.
03-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
t's not been released yet has it?

Normally Canon and Nikon mounts come first anyway.
I just checked and adorama has it.738109 Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Pentax SLR Cameras.
03-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This lens is equipped with a Petal-type hood to block out extraneous light. The filter size of this lens is 95mm and the lens is supplied with a step down ring enabling digital cameras with an APS-C size image sensor to use an 86mm filter.

*It is not possible to use a Polarizing filter with the step down ring. If you attach a Polarizing filter, you may not be able to remove it from the lens again.

*For Pentax and Sony mounts, it is not possible to use the AF and the built-in OS function of this lens when attaching it to film SLR cameras as well as Pentax *ist series and K100D.

03-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
This lens is equipped with a .........................

Eh?

What's that all about?
03-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
They may have it listed but Sigma don't have it on their web site yet.
The new lenses were only announced a few weeks ago.
03-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
bfo

BIGMA allright. According to Adorama: 19702g (a little more than 43 lbs).
(yeah I know it's a typing error on Adoramas part).

03-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Eh?

What's that all about?
Built-in focusing motor, I guess. No AF on bodies that don't support it.
03-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Eh?

What's that all about?
All fairly self-explanatory:

QuoteQuote:
This lens is equipped with a Petal-type hood to block out extraneous light. The filter size of this lens is 95mm and the lens is supplied with a step down ring enabling digital cameras with an APS-C size image sensor to use an 86mm filter.
Filter size for full-frame is huge (95mm), requiring expensive filters. Since APS-C cameras don't reach the full extent of the frame, a step-down ring is provided to use a somewhat smaller and more economical filter size.

QuoteQuote:
*It is not possible to use a Polarizing filter with the step down ring. If you attach a Polarizing filter, you may not be able to remove it from the lens again.
Using the step-down ring only provides enough coverage to attach one filter. Polarizing filters often stand out further than most regular filters to allow for rotation of the filter when mounted. Using a polarizing filter on the step-down ring would hence result in vignetting at the corners of the frame, even on an APS-C camera.

QuoteQuote:
*For Pentax and Sony mounts, it is not possible to use the AF and the built-in OS function of this lens when attaching it to film SLR cameras as well as Pentax *ist series and K100D.
The built-in autofocus motor and stabilizer function aren't compatible with older Pentax cameras. The autofocus system used is HSM (Sigma's version of SDM / Supersonic Drive Motor), with no support for screw drive, hence older screw-drive only bodies can't use AF with the lens. Pentax doesn't have in-lens stabilization, and FWICR, the stabilizer function in Sigma's lenses is piggybacking off power from contacts used for SDM or power zoom (if anybody's confirmed which, I've not read of it). So again, older bodies without the appropriate contacts can't power the in-lens stabilization.

Also not mentioned but worth noting is that in-body stabilization should be disabled if in-lens stabilization is used (and at the focal lengths of the Bigma, that's basically all the time I'd say).
03-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

but is it worth $1600?
03-16-2010, 04:08 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cgoudie Quote
but is it worth $1600?
I guess it depends on how much you want to get to 500mm. I personally don't need to go that long, 300mm is fine for me, but there aren't many cheap really long lenses (I guess you could find an older mirror lens).
03-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
All fairly self-explanatory:

Actually I was refering to the fact he went to the link in the OP and just cut and paste a load of text. Didn't answer the original question in the slightest.

Thanks for the explanation though .........

Personally I havr the Bigma and its a cracking lens for the money.
03-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm interested to see how this new Bigma performs.

I am hoping the HSM improves the AF performance of the lens. If it does and the OS works well I made trade in my existing Bigma on part exchange.

I am hoping that the fact that it's seemingly no longer an EX lens won't effect its build quality.
03-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote

I am hoping that the fact that it's seemingly no longer an EX lens won't effect its build quality.
Apparently Sigma only designate prime lenses EX now
03-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Hmmmh,

the new 50-150 II still carries the EX designation. The new 50-500 MTF curves haven't improved (if the same at all, the OS lens group will certainly eat some % MTF...).

It will really depend on the HSM AF. If for OS alone, the Pentax wouldn't need it. Maybe time for some screw drive Bigma bargain hunting?