Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2010, 11:11 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Kungpow, I dunno but I don't care much.
I didn't expect it much before so not much change.
Let's say it is less unlikely than before now that 645d is out.

03-17-2010, 02:26 AM   #17

Looking to the Future

I love my Pentax. However, it is time for me to move up to FF. If I don't see some movement or answers by this fall I will be jumping to Nikon.
03-17-2010, 03:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Market strategy

I think this is a nice strategy. Once the 645D is launched, competitors are distracted with the attention I think it deservedly gets. When they find the appropriate moment they'll announce the much sought after FF to stir the segment and get some position instantly.

Rui
03-17-2010, 03:43 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by oppositz Quote
I love my Pentax. However, it is time for me to move up to FF. If I don't see some movement or answers by this fall I will be jumping to Nikon.
+1 but i'll be jumping to sony.

03-17-2010, 04:04 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My personal feeling is that the sequel to the K7 will be APS-C and the sequel to that will be full frame. Of course, that puts full frame at the end of next year.
03-17-2010, 04:48 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My personal feeling is that the sequel to the K7 will be APS-C and the sequel to that will be full frame.
That's a straight-forward feeling.

I felt the same until you actually posted it and I saw it printed

Now, I am wondering how that can be...

In order to generate profit, Pentax needs a new product which would Pentaxians make upgrade and/or attract new users.

The expected K-? in between K-x and K-7 is nice but doesn't do this.

And there aren't many options for an Uber-K-7 in APS-C:
- Newly developed Uber-AF?
- A video mode challenging the RED camera?
- 18MP?
- Even higher fps?
- The 15MP Exmor sensor?

Only the last option is likely. But it will only extend the life span of the K-7. Would be a K-7mkII, not an upgrade camera.

With better viewfinder, video, faster fps, a rugged magnesium body, faster AF etc., Pentax has already played its card to upgrade a K20D-like camera.

If Pentax wants sales, they need to offer a camera beyond the K-7, at about $500 to $1000 extra. What other than FF can this be?

But you're right, we may not see a K-7 successor this year. A minor upgrade, maybe. But no successor. And FF next year. If this is true, rumors should spread around the time of photokina though.
03-17-2010, 05:12 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
- 18MP?
- Even higher fps?
- The 15MP Exmor sensor?

Only the last option is likely. But it will only extend the life span of the K-7. Would be a K-7mkII, not an upgrade camera.
Is an improved AF system really unlikely?

Add to that faster contrast AF in LV mode. And more features in video mode. And how about an 1x viewfinder?
03-17-2010, 05:28 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Is an improved AF system really unlikely?

Add to that faster contrast AF in LV mode. And more features in video mode. And how about an 1x viewfinder?
SAFOX IX+ tells me that AF has an evolutionary roadmap at Pentax.

The other features (VF is 100% already and 1x still means 0.65x) are possible but would not create new sales. Just slow the devaluation of K-7mk2 prices a bit.

I talked about options for a successor, not an upgrade.

Options to create new markets (as I see them) are:
- Outstanding EVF (OLED, resolution, latency) and contrast AF, faster than phase AF (feasible but not done yet)
- Video with true downsampling, delivering stellar video quality (feasible but not done yet)
- Mirrorless (done, but an option for Pentax)
- 35mm (done, but an option for Pentax)
- digital MF (done, but an option for Nikon and Canon)
- Outstanding lens and sensor resolution (done, but an option for Pentax, e.g., 20 MP APS-C and more accurate lens/camera/AF calibration, maybe better DA Ltds.).
- Embedded electronic power horse (panorama, electronic shift, multi-image resolution enhancement/noise reduction/blur fixing etc.)
- Very aggressive entry price (made feasible by a large volume)

Being a Hoya manager, tick your choice...

Last edited by falconeye; 03-17-2010 at 05:49 AM.
03-17-2010, 06:11 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Why couldn't the K-7 successor be a simple upgrade with a new sensor (Sony's 14 Mpx?) as K20D was compared to K10D?
03-17-2010, 06:14 AM   #25
Veteran Member

That's a straight-forward feeling.

I felt the same until you actually posted it and I saw it printed

Now, I am wondering how that can be...

In order to generate profit, Pentax needs a new product which would Pentaxians make upgrade and/or attract new users.

The expected K-? in between K-x and K-7 is nice but doesn't do this.

- 18MP?
- Even higher fps?
- The 15MP Exmor sensor?

With better viewfinder, video, faster fps, a rugged magnesium body, faster AF etc., Pentax has already played its card to upgrade a K20D-like camera.

If Pentax wants sales, they need to offer a camera beyond the K-7, at about $500 to $1000 extra. What other than FF can this be?

But you're right, we may not see a K-7 successor this year. A minor upgrade, maybe. But no successor. And FF next year. If this is true, rumors should spread around the time of photokina though.
Well I feel the K7 to be very relevant IMO. Small compact and rugged camera with the controls that need a photographer. Improving the internal bits may be a relevant thing to do.

You don't have to change everything every time. The form factor of Leica M series stayed the same forever. APSC is already superior to whatever 35mm film have ever been able to do. Even when FF will be widespread and cheap enough, APSC will still be relevant as it allows smaller cameras and lenses. K7 + DA lmtd is a good example of that strength.
03-17-2010, 06:50 AM   #26
ogl
Pentaxian

SAFOX IX+ for K-8 will be with better AF-C - close to Nikon's D300.
K-8 will have ~ 7 fps.
I think it could be true.

As for sensor - a bit more MP than 14.6 MP.
I guess - new 15-16 MP SONY APS-C sensor made on base of A550's sensor or some reincarnation of A550's sensor for Pentax.
Maybe - new Samsung. I have no any info.
03-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Why couldn't the K-7 successor be a simple upgrade with a new sensor (Sony's 14 Mpx?) as K20D was compared to K10D?
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Improving the internal bits may be a relevant thing to do.
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
As for sensor - a bit more MP than 14.6 MP.
I guess - new 15-16 MP SONY APS-C
This is all nice and true. What I call K-7 mark II.

But will it create new markets for Pentax or justify to keep the development staff who did K-7 and 645D over the past few years? IMHO, no.

Again, I differentiate between K-7 successor (a game changer) and K-7 upgrade (a game keeper). *istD, K10D, K-7 and 645D have been Pentax' game changers to date. Esp. K10D.

Last edited by falconeye; 03-17-2010 at 09:30 AM.
03-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #28
Veteran Member

This is all nice and true. What I call K-7 mark II.

But will it create new markets for Pentax or justify to keep the development staff who did K-7 and 645D over the past few years? IMHO, no.
It's actually amazing how much mileage they've gotten out of the K-7 project, essentially developing a framework to develop $500, $1,000, and $10,000 camera bodies out of in a two year period. Maybe even more if they release a mid-range camera this year.

If they follow the same plan, you'd have to think they'll develop a refined and upgraded K-7 like system for release later this year, and then use that technology to bring out the cameras (with various sensors and builds) that will come out in 2011.

Lumo does bring up an interesting point, though. At some junction, for cameras priced $1,500 or greater, it could be more cost effective for Pentax to use existing technology around a full frame sensor than to greatly upgrade the existing technology around an APS-C sensor that shows minimal gains. It's at that point that Pentax would probably seriously consider going this direction.

I keep thinking Pentax should do the same thing with their full frame strategy as they did to the Leica S2 with the Pentax 645D project. They could put that 18 MP Kodak full frame sensor that it's in the Leica M9 into a retro looking Pentax k-8 (or whatever they'd call it) for a significantly more reasonable price than what M9 sells for. They really wouldn't even need to make new lenses for awhile, much like the 645D, which is being released with a whopping one new lens.
03-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I keep thinking Pentax should do the same thing with their full frame strategy as they did to the Leica S2 with the Pentax 645D project. They could put that 18 MP Kodak full frame sensor that it's in the Leica M9 into a retro looking Pentax k-8 (or whatever they'd call it) for a significantly more reasonable price than what M9 sells for.
Is it rational for Pentoya to do this before they've built a professional service network? When you spend that much for the camera, as a (hopefully) money-making tool, you're buying more than just the camera -- you want a safety net too.
03-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #30

as falconeye pointed an better aps-c camera won't be a game changer besides i don't think we would really want to see a Nikon d300 in pentax body becouse of its hipotetical price, at least for now. I think the next camera will be a game-keeper smth between k-x and k-7. The reason why so is the technology, to make smth above k7 they would have to do much R&D for that camera and its logical to me that k-5 should be released beacouse it'll use existing technology! Same was with the k-x combining new tech and older body. K7 last year made a lot of buzz for pentax, this year pentax will pressure the market with 645D. I think that FF will be the next camera after the hipothetical k-5 and maybe it'll be shown as mock-up to generate interest some time before but i don't think it'll happen. Pentax under hoya is a very mysterious company.. even more then before..