Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 03:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PENTAX Professional Services

QuoteQuote:
Need a PENTAX DA* 300mm for an upcoming shoot? The PENTAX Professional Services program is a way for photographers to “check out” the latest PENTAX photo equipment. This program is limited to professional photographers (U.S. only) who derive at least 51% of their annual income by photography. The program includes expedited repairs and technical support. Contact Customer.FollowUp@Pentax.com for more information.
This is what it says on Pentax's Facebook page.

03-21-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

1) only US
2) have you seen lots of really pro Pentax photographers?
3) no lenses longer 300mm

:ugh:

Pentax, make a world-wide professionals support program!
03-21-2010, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It has to start somewhere. Good news.
03-21-2010, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

The pro program has been around for about two years now. I have been a member since just after it started. There were not many people on the list last time I asked. They really do require that you are a true pro to be in the program.

03-21-2010, 04:41 AM   #5
Forum Member

Professional services, eh? How much per hour then?
03-21-2010, 05:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
2) have you seen lots of really pro Pentax photographers?
No, because most pro photographers need a "professional services" program. We're looking at a chicken/egg situation here and the chicken just hatched. Which is cool.
03-21-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
No, because most pro photographers need a "professional services" program. We're looking at a chicken/egg situation here and the chicken just hatched. Which is cool.
I'm pretty sure eggs hatch, chicken are born as a result. But that's just semantics

03-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
Damn Brit

Pentax seem to really have lost the plot when it comes to Customer Service and Marketing in the US.
03-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AlbertSiegel Quote
The pro program has been around for about two years now. I have been a member since just after it started. There were not many people on the list last time I asked. They really do require that you are a true pro to be in the program.
Well, even if it only serves a few headliners, that's useful for them, I suppose.

*smirkingly wondering if getting to where half of a really *low* income from photography means you can use some nice stuff, though. *
03-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Remember that Pentax only has half a Pro camera,
The K-7 is not for a sports pro, so most people would not really even require the pro service, even if they were pro. The 645D will be the first real pro camera, and will require a pro network to take on Hassy and Phase. The K8, or whatever camera comes, could be more pro orientated if it had a dual card slot, a faster sync speed, a better high Iso performance and better AF. then a traditional pro could use it instead of a D300 or 7D/50D. Oh and a better flash along with some LONG lenses.
Anyway, I think all of the above are in the works.
03-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
whatever camera comes, could be more pro orientated if it had a dual card slot, a faster sync speed, a better high Iso performance and better AF. then a traditional pro could use it instead of a D300 or 7D/50D.s.
You got that a little wrong, the K-7 has just as good high ISO noise levels as the D300 and if not better than the 50D due to it's banding. This is when you shoot in RAW, but then again tell me which pro doesn't shoot in RAW. As far as AF goes, the K-7 does just as good as D300s in AF.S but however in AF.C it is behind. As far as longer lenses and and a better flash, I could agree.

Last edited by LeDave; 03-21-2010 at 03:31 PM.
03-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
You got that a little wrong, the K-7 has just as good high ISO noise levels as the D300 and if not better than the 50D due to it's banding. This is when you shoot in RAW, but then again tell me which pro doesn't shoot in RAW. As far as AF goes, the K-7 does just as good as D300s in AF.S but however in AF.C it is behind. As far as longer lenses and and a better flash, I could agree.
A lot of pros don't shoot raw, actually.. Or, at least, they shoot raw situationally. This is especially true if you're shooting sports or event photography for a newspaper or magazine, where you will be shooting a ton of images that are time-sensitive. No matter how streamlined your raw workflow is, it's still faster to hand off a CF card of JPGs straight to the editor doing the page layout.
03-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirivon Quote
A lot of pros don't shoot raw, actually.. Or, at least, they shoot raw situationally. This is especially true if you're shooting sports or event photography for a newspaper or magazine, where you will be shooting a ton of images that are time-sensitive. No matter how streamlined your raw workflow is, it's still faster to hand off a CF card of JPGs straight to the editor doing the page layout.
perhaps, but it's a lot more fun to try guessing what the pros do without actually knowing first-hand. For example, do they have special razors that leave the perfect amount of stubble on their cheeks? I think they do. Do they have sex with lots of gorgeous women? The movies say "yes". Do they absolutely require longer lenses than 300mm for anything respectable? Of course they must! Do they all photograph sports? Well duh, they can't be "professionals" unless they do. The list of random guesses goes on and on...
03-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Hey Frank, you also forgot that all pros shoot full frame

03-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Pentax seem to really have lost the plot when it comes to Customer Service and Marketing in the US.
Oh, whinge harder, why don't you?