Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2010, 01:36 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
You got that a little wrong, the K-7 has just as good high ISO noise levels as the D300 and if not better than the 50D due to it's banding. This is when you shoot in RAW, but then again tell me which pro doesn't shoot in RAW. As far as AF goes, the K-7 does just as good as D300s in AF.S but however in AF.C it is behind. As far as longer lenses and and a better flash, I could agree.
Its lack of High Iso dynamic range prevent it from having a flexiblehigh Iso image over 1600, the higher it gets the worse the dark parts look. The canon has detail in the shadow, which the Pentax does not. The Nikon performs similarly to the Pentax K-x , which is almost universaly accepted as being better than K-7 at isos over 1600. I agree that banding could be a problem, but its also the first I have heard of it. Its the AF-c thats importaint to what a media traditional pro looks like. they are the ones that could use a fast service the most.
I always shoot raw now, just in case, the K-7 is the almost perfect camera for me, if it was not for the lack of DR in the high Iso department, and the tendency to clip highlights, I would be owning one. That and it was expensive at launch. I am waiting for its replacement.

Last edited by Steelski; 03-22-2010 at 01:47 AM.
03-22-2010, 02:18 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kirivon Quote
No matter how streamlined your raw workflow is, it's still faster to hand off a CF card of JPGs straight to the editor doing the page layout.
Which is why RAW+ wins it all
03-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Which is why RAW+ wins it all
True -- unless you need high FPS for sports.
03-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #19
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Oh, whinge harder, why don't you?
Pentax seem to really have lost the plot when it comes to Customer Service and Marketing in the US.
And Lithos always takes it out on me when he's in a bad mood (which happens to be, whenever he's awake).

03-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PPS member here Ok, reality is that the "loaner" pool is rather shallow however the main benifit is the speedy repairs (often less than 1 week w/ shipping
As to thoes "pentax has no pro cameras etc... I shale have you know that I and alot others are hard at work shooting everything from a landscape or macro to daily news which includes... SPORTS, wow! I have been using Pentaxes to cover everything the papers have thrown at me since 2000 and no one can tell the diff once they have only the image infront of them. Sure I may not have 8-12fps, or AF thats faster than lite but I get buy and love the cameras.
03-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
As to thoes "pentax has no pro cameras etc... I shale have you know that I and alot others are hard at work shooting everything from a landscape or macro to daily news which includes... SPORTS, wow! I have been using Pentaxes to cover everything the papers have thrown at me since 2000 and no one can tell the diff once they have only the image infront of them. Sure I may not have 8-12fps, or AF thats faster than lite but I get buy and love the cameras.
Surely you jest. It's been proven time and time again with anecdotal evidence and random, uneducated guesses that Pentax is worthless for professional photographers. After all, since most of us are not professionals, clearly we know better what the needs of a professional are.</sarcasm>
03-23-2010, 08:09 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Surely you jest. It's been proven time and time again with anecdotal evidence and random, uneducated guesses that Pentax is worthless for professional photographers. After all, since most of us are not professionals, clearly we know better what the needs of a professional are.</sarcasm>
+1

Canikon usual brainwashing machine results.

03-23-2010, 08:10 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirivon Quote
True -- unless you need high FPS for sports.
Sure but Pentax isn't suited for that use anyway, isn't it?
03-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I've been part of the PPS since shortly after it came into existence. Of course I was hoping they'd have a stockpile of 600mm F4 lenses for me to borrow at will - but really it was all about getting speedy repairs.

I am also a member of the Canon professional services program and what would be really nice for Pentax to do is to offer the cleaning services Canon offers. Even at the base level of the Canon program you can send in 2 pieces of equipment each year for cleaning.
03-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
+1

Canikon usual brainwashing machine results.
I'm attending a state photographic convention through tomorrow. I thought I would hear the worst drivel coming out of the Canon table (I heard a little while checking their equipment out, mostly from other photogs), but I got the shock of my life when the Sigma Lenses rep flat out said that if he was me, he'd be worried about the future of Pentax in the business.

Too bad Sigma currently sells 35 Pentax mount lenses... The end of days is here, repent!
03-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
I'm pretty sure eggs hatch, chicken are born as a result. But that's just semantics
I guess that it why chicks are referred to as bornlings? Chicks hatch as surely as humans are born. Eggs hatch into chicks. Chicks hatch from eggs.

Steve
03-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
I got the shock of my life when the Sigma Lenses rep flat out said that if he was me, he'd be worried about the future of Pentax in the business.

Too bad Sigma currently sells 35 Pentax mount lenses... The end of days is here, repent!
HAHAHA!!!

"Oh, yeah, Pentax is gonna be dead in two, three years."

"Really? Why?"

"We don't sell many lenses for them."

"Oh, please elaborate."

"It's true. Sigma's actually the world leader in digital photography, and we set entire trends that the market always ends up following. And, frankly, if people aren't putting our glass on their cameras, there's no way they're gonna stay in business."

"Oh, really? How many people are putting Sigma glass on Sigma cameras?"

"I- um...er-" *pause*

*Frogroast grins nervously*

*Sigma rep lunges for Frogroast's throat*

Tell them the only way Sigma ever sold any lenses in Australia was by being bundled with Pentax cameras...

It did untold damage to Pentax's reputation down here.
03-28-2010, 02:48 AM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
HAHAHA!!!

"Oh, yeah, Pentax is gonna be dead in two, three years."

"Really? Why?"

"We don't sell many lenses for them."

"Oh, please elaborate."

"It's true. Sigma's actually the world leader in digital photography, and we set entire trends that the market always ends up following. And, frankly, if people aren't putting our glass on their cameras, there's no way they're gonna stay in business."

"Oh, really? How many people are putting Sigma glass on Sigma cameras?"

"I- um...er-" *pause*

*Frogroast grins nervously*

*Sigma rep lunges for Frogroast's throat*

Tell them the only way Sigma ever sold any lenses in Australia was by being bundled with Pentax cameras...

It did untold damage to Pentax's reputation down here.
Haha

It's true - why on earth would CRK use the Sigma kit lenses why the Pentax ones are so good??
03-28-2010, 03:18 AM   #29
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Reading all the above comments with interest and a wry smile, I make a living using Pentax equipement, have I been going wrong all these years and will make a better living by switching camera brands.....................

There was me thinking it was all down to the captured image that counted, as BrendanPK has already said
03-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
I've been part of the PPS since shortly after it came into existence. Of course I was hoping they'd have a stockpile of 600mm F4 lenses for me to borrow at will - but really it was all about getting speedy repairs.

I am also a member of the Canon professional services program and what would be really nice for Pentax to do is to offer the cleaning services Canon offers. Even at the base level of the Canon program you can send in 2 pieces of equipment each year for cleaning.
Note: This is coming from a rank amateur.

I was going to ask who was a member of another Pro org. Does anybody else have Nikon, Phase1, Mamiya, Hassy or even Olympus Pro coverage?

What other services do they offer. What other things does Pentax need to offer?