Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 03:18 AM   #1
Pentaxian
LeDave's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis - St. Paul
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,895
PENTAX Professional Services

QuoteQuote:
Need a PENTAX DA* 300mm for an upcoming shoot? The PENTAX Professional Services program is a way for photographers to “check out” the latest PENTAX photo equipment. This program is limited to professional photographers (U.S. only) who derive at least 51% of their annual income by photography. The program includes expedited repairs and technical support. Contact Customer.FollowUp@Pentax.com for more information.
This is what it says on Pentax's Facebook page.

03-21-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Zebooka's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Russia, Siberia, Novosibirsk
Posts: 323
1) only US
2) have you seen lots of really pro Pentax photographers?
3) no lenses longer 300mm

:ugh:

Pentax, make a world-wide professionals support program!
03-21-2010, 03:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 410
It has to start somewhere. Good news.
03-21-2010, 04:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Albert Siegel's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 343
The pro program has been around for about two years now. I have been a member since just after it started. There were not many people on the list last time I asked. They really do require that you are a true pro to be in the program.

03-21-2010, 04:41 AM   #5
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vienna
Posts: 96
Professional services, eh? How much per hour then?
03-21-2010, 05:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Umeċ, Sweden
Posts: 755
QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
2) have you seen lots of really pro Pentax photographers?
No, because most pro photographers need a "professional services" program. We're looking at a chicken/egg situation here and the chicken just hatched. Which is cool.
03-21-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member
GoremanX's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgia, VT
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,652
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
No, because most pro photographers need a "professional services" program. We're looking at a chicken/egg situation here and the chicken just hatched. Which is cool.
I'm pretty sure eggs hatch, chicken are born as a result. But that's just semantics
03-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
Damn Brit
Guest




Pentax seem to really have lost the plot when it comes to Customer Service and Marketing in the US.

03-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,464
QuoteOriginally posted by AlbertSiegel Quote
The pro program has been around for about two years now. I have been a member since just after it started. There were not many people on the list last time I asked. They really do require that you are a true pro to be in the program.
Well, even if it only serves a few headliners, that's useful for them, I suppose.

*smirkingly wondering if getting to where half of a really *low* income from photography means you can use some nice stuff, though. *
03-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Steelski's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Varna
Posts: 468
Remember that Pentax only has half a Pro camera,
The K-7 is not for a sports pro, so most people would not really even require the pro service, even if they were pro. The 645D will be the first real pro camera, and will require a pro network to take on Hassy and Phase. The K8, or whatever camera comes, could be more pro orientated if it had a dual card slot, a faster sync speed, a better high Iso performance and better AF. then a traditional pro could use it instead of a D300 or 7D/50D. Oh and a better flash along with some LONG lenses.
Anyway, I think all of the above are in the works.
03-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian
LeDave's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis - St. Paul
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,895
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
whatever camera comes, could be more pro orientated if it had a dual card slot, a faster sync speed, a better high Iso performance and better AF. then a traditional pro could use it instead of a D300 or 7D/50D.s.
You got that a little wrong, the K-7 has just as good high ISO noise levels as the D300 and if not better than the 50D due to it's banding. This is when you shoot in RAW, but then again tell me which pro doesn't shoot in RAW. As far as AF goes, the K-7 does just as good as D300s in AF.S but however in AF.C it is behind. As far as longer lenses and and a better flash, I could agree.

Last edited by LeDave; 03-21-2010 at 03:31 PM.
03-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 173
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
You got that a little wrong, the K-7 has just as good high ISO noise levels as the D300 and if not better than the 50D due to it's banding. This is when you shoot in RAW, but then again tell me which pro doesn't shoot in RAW. As far as AF goes, the K-7 does just as good as D300s in AF.S but however in AF.C it is behind. As far as longer lenses and and a better flash, I could agree.
A lot of pros don't shoot raw, actually.. Or, at least, they shoot raw situationally. This is especially true if you're shooting sports or event photography for a newspaper or magazine, where you will be shooting a ton of images that are time-sensitive. No matter how streamlined your raw workflow is, it's still faster to hand off a CF card of JPGs straight to the editor doing the page layout.
03-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member
GoremanX's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgia, VT
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,652
QuoteOriginally posted by Kirivon Quote
A lot of pros don't shoot raw, actually.. Or, at least, they shoot raw situationally. This is especially true if you're shooting sports or event photography for a newspaper or magazine, where you will be shooting a ton of images that are time-sensitive. No matter how streamlined your raw workflow is, it's still faster to hand off a CF card of JPGs straight to the editor doing the page layout.
perhaps, but it's a lot more fun to try guessing what the pros do without actually knowing first-hand. For example, do they have special razors that leave the perfect amount of stubble on their cheeks? I think they do. Do they have sex with lots of gorgeous women? The movies say "yes". Do they absolutely require longer lenses than 300mm for anything respectable? Of course they must! Do they all photograph sports? Well duh, they can't be "professionals" unless they do. The list of random guesses goes on and on...
03-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member
Miserere's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,994
Hey Frank, you also forgot that all pros shoot full frame

...
03-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #15
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, AUS
Posts: 3,262
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Pentax seem to really have lost the plot when it comes to Customer Service and Marketing in the US.
Oh, whinge harder, why don't you?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, photographers, program, services
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone use a Pentax LX for professional use ? lesmore49 Pentax Film SLR Discussion 26 04-14-2010 08:49 PM
Attention Pentax Professional Services members... CaymanImaging Photographic Industry and Professionals 3 04-01-2010 11:47 AM
Your satisfaction with Pentax Customer/Support Services jpzk Photographic Technique 4 02-09-2010 09:32 AM
Pentax Pro Services Program nosnoop Pentax News and Rumors 14 08-25-2008 08:28 AM
No response from Pentax services (EU) bc_the_path Photographic Technique 6 09-16-2007 05:09 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:51 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top