Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2010, 02:11 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very positive K-x review again

I apologize if someone already has posted this, but a colleague of mine asked me about DSLRs yesterday, and said that the K-x was best in test in a Norwegian test. I think this site is read by a lot of first time users, and the tests are done in cooperation with the second largest TV channel.

Interestingly, they tested the entry model of each brand, which was really an advantage to the K-x which is a step above the others in features. It seems like Pentax's decision to make a feature-rich entry camera is being well received.

The test (in Norwegian):
Test: Best i test - DinSide Data

The pros: Very fast, "an ocean of features", very good image quality.
The only con: No focus indicators in the viewfinder.

I wonder why Sony redesigned their grips? They write that they let several people try to hold the A230, and almost everyone agreed that holding the camera was uncomfortable. The A230 seems to have about the same features as the A200, so it seems like the only thing Sony did was to make a decent no-frills camera less enjoyable to use....

While holding the K-x was "delightful" ("deilig")...

03-23-2010, 02:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I wonder why Sony redesigned their grips?
So they can pretend there's something unique, new and/or interesting in cameras that are otherwise essentially the same old tired Konica-Minolta 5D all over again?
03-23-2010, 02:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
So they can pretend there's something unique, new and/or interesting in cameras that are otherwise essentially the same old tired Konica-Minolta 5D all over again?
Heh! But one would at least think that a company like Sony would use ergonomics experts when redesigning the grips...
03-23-2010, 04:14 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It does seem like if possible you should change the body style at least a little bit between models, otherwise the perception is that the cameras are exactly the same. Of course, if you are going to change things, it should be for the better.

I don't really think that Sony cares about entry level users, they just want to get people to buy their first SLR for a very low price and then when they are dissatisfied with it, move up and buy a more expensive Sony SLR.

03-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for posting this, but is there an English version of their K-x review?

I am enjoying my K-x very much. It plays very well will ALL of my old M and A lenses - especially in low light (wow).
03-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It does seem like if possible you should change the body style at least a little bit between models, otherwise the perception is that the cameras are exactly the same. Of course, if you are going to change things, it should be for the better.

I don't really think that Sony cares about entry level users, they just want to get people to buy their first SLR for a very low price and then when they are dissatisfied with it, move up and buy a more expensive Sony SLR.
Or camera of another brand. Sony was really down last year market-wise. Technically their cameras may not be bad, but their marketing decided not to jump the HD video train and that killed them.
03-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Or camera of another brand. Sony was really down last year market-wise. Technically their cameras may not be bad, but their marketing decided not to jump the HD video train and that killed them.
Yes, and the fact that the entry series has the worst grip ever.

03-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
Thanks for posting this, but is there an English version of their K-x review?
Not that I'm aware of, but you can of course run it through Google Translate with reasonably understandable results.
03-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A good read. Also that the AF is working very well, compared to competition; e.g. the Nikon.
03-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Yes, and the fact that the entry series has the worst grip ever.
After handling and being very very impressed with the A700, A850, and A900 I tried some of their entry models on a whim.

Without a doubt, their entry level cameras have the worst ergonomics of any camera I've used. Ever.