Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quantum Dots Promise More Sensitive Sensors

Hmmm,
Maybe I will wait for the next generation?!

"Technology developer InVisage Technologies has announced sensors it says can offer four times better performance than conventional CCD and CMOS sensors. The company's 'QuantumFilm' technology uses the unique electronic behavior of quantum dots (precisely-sized nano-scale crystals trapped in a polymer film) to replace conventional silicon photodiodes. The company says the quantum dots themselves are twice as sensitive to light as conventional photodiodes and that their placement on the sensor surface offers a further doubling of sensitivity over front-illuminated CMOS designs. The film can be positioned on conventional circuitry, allowing the chips to be produced more cheaply than CMOS or CCD designs. The first application will be in mobile phones sensors later this year."

03-24-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for sharing this very good piece of news. It amazes me the technology is expected to be implemented in cell phones as soon as the end of this year. Makes it very reasonable to want to expect the new generation of dslr sensors.

If only they could create bodies with interchangeable sensors
03-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
so this would allow more light to pass to the color filter array? But it doesn't change how much loss there is through the filter array correct?
03-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote

If only they could create bodies with interchangeable sensors
Mamiya, Phase One, Hasselblad, Leaf, to name but three and a half.

03-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ok, then affordable bodies with interchangeable sensors But I didn't know there were such bodies, so thanks.
03-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Interesting.

This suggests me to thing that it could allow for affordable large size sensors as well. If with the conventional circuitry is meant PCB. Even if it's not, you can make full sized wires and electronics with no silicone thinning and other trade-offs, that require high precision/quality wafer. Just leave contact pads and apply the film.

If the sensor uses nano sized crystals, probably it's spectral response is determined by the size, shape and material of those crystals. In CMOS/CCD it was mostly dependent on diode material (silicone) and thickness.
This means you can make a film with different size crystal pattern, where each crystal matches specific wavelength.

Nomad, can you give us a reference to the quote?..naaah, i googled:
Quantum dots promise more sensitive sensors: Digital Photography Review

"2x higher dynamic range" I wonder to what scale does this refers, logarithmic (dB) or linear (min:max value).
03-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hi all,

I found this tid bit on P review news seciton (front page).
i do understand that the color filter will still be a limiting factor but this is interesting in the possibility of prices dropping......I hope.

03-24-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Moore's Law strikes again.

I still want a 6x9cm digital folder. It's feasible. But it won't happen. Bother.
03-25-2010, 03:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Ok, then affordable bodies with interchangeable sensors But I didn't know there were such bodies, so thanks.
Interesting, I set out to see what a Mamiya AFD cost nowdays as it was always considered the poor man's route into digital MF being comparable to a high end dSLR, and I find that the price has firmed up considerably. A couple of years ago when I bought mine they were more or less giving them away when you bought a digital back, well, there were some darn good deals to be had anyway. Now Calumet list them at $3,500 for body only although I haven't looked much further.

It would be interesting to compare the price of a 646 Pentax kit with that of the basic Mamiya kit when the former is readily available, but now we are way off subject.