Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-03-2010, 03:10 AM   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
IMHO, the community should exercise some pressure now to make clear to Pentax that we want LR tethering (driving the MSC/PTP-API) rather than yet another crap version of Remote Assistant.
Given this choice, I'd prefer a working LR integration.

The coolest version would be a programmable RA, so that you could for instance run a sequence of shots with varying lens AF adjustment. Given that this is a pipe dream, a stable basic version (e.g., LR integration) would be much preferable over something more extensive but more buggy. At least for me personally.

Not sure how the community ought to exercise pressure. It hasn't worked in the past, has it?

12-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
This isn't what is addressed by this thread. Of course, one always could use RA (with cameras supporting it) with LR in conjunction.

This thread is about LR tethering, where LR drives the MSC/PTP-API itself.

But maybe, it is a good idea to revive this thread. After the promising success to drive the newer cameras via the MSC/PTP-API.

IMHO, the community should exercise some pressure now to make clear to Pentax that we want LR tethering (driving the MSC/PTP-API) rather than yet another crap version of Remote Assistant.

I think the cost to make a good version of RA is what is stopping Pentax from doing it. Or even worse, they do it while we speak and we don't actually want it.

Pentax: Less is more. Fix the MSC/PTP-API just to a degree LR can use it. And you get tethering almost for free. And you make us happy.

Right? Do I speak for the community here? Or is it just me?
+1
Update camera firmware to enable LR3 based tethering. Provide lens correction profiles. Get recognised as a fully supported workflow camera in the professional segment (Yes, I mean the 645D and recent K series bodies).
12-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Count me in... I'm all for tethered shooting from Lightroom, and would prefer that to an external solution. Since Lightroom doesn't currently allow you to change camera settings remotely (as far as I know, haven't had a chance to try it with a currently supported camera), I'd still like to see support for either an official app or SDK for third parties that would allow remote settings changes, and a remote live view. Even just the basic Lightroom shutter button-only approach with settings changes made on the camera body itself would be a step in the right direction, though.
12-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #79
Veteran Member

So what do you think would be the most appropriate and effective means of putting pressure on, or communicating the group desire for tethered LR shooting?

12-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #80

Selling up would put pressure on. But I am a Pentax fan and would find that a hard pill to swallow if I opted for that. It is a choice.

Do I need the ability to tether my shooting? My answer is yes as I intend to shoot with clients and art directors viewing the images on a screen for selection purposes. I would hate to have to switch to C&N or a Blad to do that.

If it is a software fix, Pentax please consider producing the goods. The 645D is now up against some very reputable Hassellblad systems that do offer this functionality.

Tether me up I'm going in!
12-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #81
Veteran Member

I believe Pentax works on tethering for the 645D.

What I can do is print out this thread (PDF) and make Pentax Europe aware about our preference. I just would like to avoid communicating my personal preference, though.
12-06-2010, 09:01 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Add this:

Attached Images

12-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I believe Pentax works on tethering for the 645D.

What I can do is print out this thread (PDF) and make Pentax Europe aware about our preference. I just would like to avoid communicating my personal preference, though.
Thanks Falk, that would be very helpful.
12-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #84

So is tethering is the capability of wireless photograhpy??? Like setting up my cam. via wireless to my comp. and making focus and zoom options from my comp???Sounds like i dont need that with my k7. And if I have to set up my cam with a HDMI, well I guess I'll have to "suffer".
12-19-2010, 10:56 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rubbertoy74 Quote
So is tethering is the capability of wireless photograhpy??? Like setting up my cam. via wireless to my comp. and making focus and zoom options from my comp???Sounds like i dont need that with my k7. And if I have to set up my cam with a HDMI, well I guess I'll have to "suffer".
Tethering doesn't imply wireless, although it can conceivably be done wirelessly with cameras that have built-in wireless networking capabilities.

What we're talking about here is much simpler, though. Just the ability to connect the computer and camera via the standard USB cable (hence, 'tethering') and then control shooting from the attached computer. In other words, I can set things like the aperture, shutter speed, ISO sensitivity, and maybe some other variables from the computer itself, then click a button to take a picture which near-immediately appears in my Lightroom catalog.

The camera hardware, it turns out, is definitely capable of it even for recent Pentax cameras that don't include any tethering software in the package (K-7, K-x, K-r, K-5.) The 645D should soon be compliant too, if it isn't already, as Pentax has announced it's developing its own tethering software for that camera.

I'm honestly not sure if it's possible to have the best of both worlds, and allow both tethered shooting *and* a big HDMI monitor preview simultaneously. Need to get around to trying the third-party software with my own K-7, but I have a feeling the LCD is probably going to switch off during tethering, in which case HDMI probably won't work either. Hope I'm wrong, though!

Edit: Just got around to trying the third-party tethering software myself, and interestingly, it doesn't disable the LCD (although on my K-7, the display locks up shortly after commencing tethering). The author doesn't recommend using live view or movie modes with the tethering software yet, so I've not tried that, but it does leave the door open for eventually enabling simultaneous tethering and HDMI live view preview. In the meantime, it should be possible to see menus and settings via HDMI while tethered, although I've not tried this yet as I've misplaced my HDMI cable.

Last edited by knoxploration; 12-19-2010 at 11:30 AM.
12-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #86

Edited to clarify: After searching this forum I have been unable to find any previous post positively documenting that a Pentax representative has expressed that tethering was not possible, so feel free to disregard the following remark.

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
So what do you think would be the most appropriate and effective means of putting pressure on, or communicating the group desire for tethered LR shooting?
Didn't Pentax specifically state that tethering was not physically possible, even with firmware upgrade, due to the design of the camera? You're working against more than reallocation of development hours; you're working against a company misrepresenting the capability of their product. I'm not sure if it's worse whether it's deliberate or not. If it was just ineptitude, you will first have to convince them their camera does something they think it doesn't. If it was deliberate ..

Last edited by kxr4trids; 12-19-2010 at 08:36 PM.
12-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
Didn't Pentax specifically state that tethering was not physically possible, even with firmware upgrade, due to the design of the camera? You're working against more than reallocation of development hours; you're working against a company misrepresenting the capability of their product. I'm not sure if it's worse whether it's deliberate or not. If it was just ineptitude, you will first have to convince them their camera does something they think it doesn't. If it was deliberate ..
I've never seen any such statement from (or directly attributed to) Pentax, and I think given the tone of your post, it's important that you either provide a citation to back it up, or retract the comment as being misguided.

As is, you're attributing either malice or incompetence -- negative attributes, no matter how you look at it -- based on your claim, without anything to back it up.
12-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #88

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
I've never seen any such statement from (or directly attributed to) Pentax, and I think given the tone of your post, it's important that you either provide a citation to back it up, or retract the comment as being misguided.

As is, you're attributing either malice or incompetence -- negative attributes, no matter how you look at it -- based on your claim, without anything to back it up.
It was read as common knowledge, though third-hand. As I recall, a European forum member got the word from someone at Pentax at a tradeshow - but my recollection (or the member's telling) may be flawed. I am currently searching for the post, but in the meantime leave you with this reference, just so that it is clear that prior discussion ascertained hardware incompatibility as the reason for lack of tethering: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/120241-tether-my-k-7-k-5...ml#post1243215

edit 1: So here is evidence that Pentax is aware that the hardware is capapble. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/119332-k-5-yes-but-does-...ml#post1303565

edit 2: Evidence Pentax's public line is "not physically possible" (but not the post I am looking for) https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/89955-bring-back-t...tml#post923551

edit 3: I am not alone. But I am still looking. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/107113-lets-discus...ml#post1103693

edit 4: From the same thread - John Carlson is Pentax USA Sr. Manager of Sales & Marketing. Still third or fourth hand info and running out of links to click. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/107113-lets-discus...ml#post1103765

edit 5: More recent info that Pentax rep states tethering is planned for K-5 https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/115076-pentax-photokin...ml#post1191959
which is contradicted by a post by member of same name, so scratching my head over that. Probably language barrier. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/115076-pentax-photokin...ml#post1196909

edit 6: Unable to find positive documentation; amended previous post.

Last edited by kxr4trids; 12-19-2010 at 08:38 PM.
12-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
edit 6: Unable to find positive documentation; amended previous post.
Thanks for taking the time to research, and to clarify your comment. It takes a big person to do so, and if more folks could, the world would be a lot better place.

The reason I questioned the contention in the first place is because honestly, stating that it wasn't physically possible when it clearly was just didn't seem like something anybody in a position to make representations like that on behalf of any major company would say. All along, the statements I'd seen were more typical of what you'd expect, simply suggesting that there are limited resources, and decisions have to be made as to what features are most worth expending those resources on.

Unfortunately, posts like these have a way of becoming what I refer to as received knowledge, whereby if you read enough people saying that something's true, you'll eventually believe it to be so even without ever having seen any evidence to back up the assertion. These things can start with somebody low on the totem pole presenting personal opinion or simply incorrect information as fact, because they're directly faced with the customer and feel the need to say *something* to answer that customer's questions. (I've worked in tech support / customer service myself, and know how easily that can happen.) From there, it's easy to snowball into becoming a quasi-official corporate line, even becoming attributed to specific individuals who may never have said anything of the sort. ("I think that maybe..." becomes "I read that probably...", and eventually somewhere down the line, "it's beyond question that...")

That's not to say it was ever impossible that the statement is true, and if you'd indeed read a direct statement somewhere I'd have been very interested to do so myself. I think we always have to be careful to couch information in a manner that makes clear a separation between one's beliefs, and incontrovertible fact, though.

Anyway, I'm rambling, but the important thing is that I wanted to say thanks for taking the time and effort to revisit your post.
12-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Tethering doesn't imply wireless, although it can conceivably be done wirelessly with cameras that have built-in wireless networking capabilities.

What we're talking about here is much simpler, though. Just the ability to connect the computer and camera via the standard USB cable (hence, 'tethering') and then control shooting from the attached computer. In other words, I can set things like the aperture, shutter speed, ISO sensitivity, and maybe some other variables from the computer itself, then click a button to take a picture which near-immediately appears in my Lightroom catalog.

The camera hardware, it turns out, is definitely capable of it even for recent Pentax cameras that don't include any tethering software in the package (K-7, K-x, K-r, K-5.) The 645D should soon be compliant too, if it isn't already, as Pentax has announced it's developing its own tethering software for that camera.

I'm honestly not sure if it's possible to have the best of both worlds, and allow both tethered shooting *and* a big HDMI monitor preview simultaneously. Need to get around to trying the third-party software with my own K-7, but I have a feeling the LCD is probably going to switch off during tethering, in which case HDMI probably won't work either. Hope I'm wrong, though!

Edit: Just got around to trying the third-party tethering software myself, and interestingly, it doesn't disable the LCD (although on my K-7, the display locks up shortly after commencing tethering). The author doesn't recommend using live view or movie modes with the tethering software yet, so I've not tried that, but it does leave the door open for eventually enabling simultaneous tethering and HDMI live view preview. In the meantime, it should be possible to see menus and settings via HDMI while tethered, although I've not tried this yet as I've misplaced my HDMI cable.
thanx knoxploration for your indeapth advise and knowledge...true gentleman and scholar.