Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #91

I know this may be old news to most... but im surprised no one on this thread mentioned.... PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras its free, windows compatible and works with the k5 k7 kx kr etc......

06-10-2011, 01:48 AM   #92

QuoteOriginally posted by bschran Quote
I know this may be old news to most... but im surprised no one on this thread mentioned.... PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras its free, windows compatible and works with the k5 k7 kx kr etc......
...And is unfortunately extremely buggy. So much so that it hangs every time I burst two maybe three images. Not only does it hang the computer it also completely bricks my K-r. I literally have to take out the battery for half a minute and reinsert the memory card for the camera to be usable again.

I gasp every time, instantly thinking when is the last time I backed up my shots. It would be much better for the Pentax community as a whole if such software were made opensource and ideally sponsored by the Pentax corporation to some extent.

Kind regards,

Vince
06-10-2011, 02:10 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
opensource..? Here it is...
pkTriggerCord

works fine for my K200D under Ubuntu.
so far supports ..
Pentax K-x
Pentax K10D (Samsung GX-10)
Pentax K20D (Samsung GX-20)
Pentax istDS
Pentax K200D (NEW)

This is a fork of PKRemote also open source.

Last edited by bobD; 06-10-2011 at 02:18 AM.
06-10-2011, 05:20 AM   #94
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vincenc Quote
...And is unfortunately extremely buggy. So much so that it hangs every time I burst two maybe three images. Not only does it hang the computer it also completely bricks my K-r. I literally have to take out the battery for half a minute and reinsert the memory card for the camera to be usable again.

I gasp every time, instantly thinking when is the last time I backed up my shots. It would be much better for the Pentax community as a whole if such software were made opensource and ideally sponsored by the Pentax corporation to some extent.

Kind regards,

Vince
I have used PK_tether with my K20d with no hitches so far. I like it better than the Pentax tethering software, which IMHO was very, very poor.

I love Pentax quality, but find it VERY annoying that they don't have tethering ... it is a very useful tool.

wll

06-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #95

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
opensource..? Here it is...
pkTriggerCord

works fine for my K200D under Ubuntu.
Cool, thanks for the link! I just tired it (the program, not the source) and it seems nice, although rough on the edges. It sure could use some documentation. Is the maintainer still working on the software?
06-10-2011, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #96
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Kind regards,

Vince
It is a whole lot less buggy than the CrapWare that Pentax packaged with my K20d which btw didn't work with my K200d.
06-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tranzistors Quote
Cool, thanks for the link! I just tired it (the program, not the source) and it seems nice, although rough on the edges. It sure could use some documentation. Is the maintainer still working on the software?
Yes, you can contact him through the link on the sourceforge page.

I had some slight troubles initially and he was most helpful in advising and trouble shooting.

Yes, the info seems more aimed at command line users but the GUI version is fairly self explanatory.
As PKTether, PKRemote, and PKTriggercord are all using the same base and have similar interfaces then any of the other help files would be a good starting place.
Then experiment from there.
06-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #98
Pentaxian

...And is unfortunately extremely buggy.
I have found that PKTether works more reliably if you turn the 'autosave' to disk feature on. If you didn't use it that way, it may be worth a second try of PKTether.

06-13-2011, 12:11 AM   #99

Thank you very much for that link bobD, I will most definitely give that a try.

Edit to add: I see I was totally wrong on the opensource issue, which makes me rather pleased. Off I go to get the source

Kind regards,

Vince

Last edited by Vincenc; 06-13-2011 at 01:16 AM.
06-15-2011, 03:05 AM   #100
Veteran Member

I was quite excited when I saw the link for pkTriggerCord, but it doesn't support anything newer than the K20d

Has there really been no response from Pentax about this - I can see why they don't bundle it as it's clearly not a deal breaker for many - especially those who have lots of lenses - but it's be nice to have as a bought extra. The software that came with my K10d wouldn't need much updating, surely?

I am hoping to move to a house with a garden in the next year, and one of the things I'm looking forward too most is to taking pictures of the wildlife there. I'd really like to take advantage of my WR lens and body by leaving them in the garden whilst I take pictures from the sofa with a cup of tea and some biscuits - but without a proper tethering program that a) works on my mac with my K-7 and b) allows me to use the HDMI connection to see what the camera sees, I can't do that.

I note, incidentally, that Aperture 2 supports tethered shooting with the D40x for goodness sake - it's a massive oversight to miss it from top of the range (on release) cameras like the K-7, K-5 and 645d.

Has anyone ever had a response from anyone who works for Pentax on this issue? Is there hope?
06-15-2011, 06:44 AM   #101
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
I was quite excited when I saw the link for pkTriggerCord, but it doesn't support anything newer than the K20d

I note, incidentally, that Aperture 2 supports tethered shooting with the D40x for goodness sake - it's a massive oversight to miss it from top of the range (on release) cameras like the K-7, K-5 and 645d.
I agree 100%, this is a huge oversight and blunder IMHO.

wll
06-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #102
Pentaxian

I contacted the PKTriggerCord author, providing my testing with my K7.
Maybe, if most would agree to do so, we'd get a useful software, as Pentax does not find it very useful
06-15-2011, 07:50 AM   #103
Veteran Member

I don't have a Linux install at the moment, sadly. Just OS X 10.5.8
06-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
I don't have a Linux install at the moment, sadly. Just OS X 10.5.8
He built it for Win for me. Ask him, he may build it for OSX or tell you how to.
It needs GTK though.
06-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #105
Pentaxian

Andras (PKTriggerCord author) confirmed to me that next version will support K7.
Mine works well enough, at least for my currently limited testing.