Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Not sure I follow the logic there.
You're right and my comment wasn't very serious. I only thought it is funny that three stone age Pentax P&S are listed and nothing else. But as you note, gphoto at the time was needed to connect cameras at all. Not anymore as they normally appear as USB mass storage devices.

03-29-2010, 03:38 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
You're right and my comment wasn't very serious. I only thought it is funny that three stone age Pentax P&S are listed and nothing else. But as you note, gphoto at the time was needed to connect cameras at all. Not anymore as they normally appear as USB mass storage devices.
Gotcha - sense of humor fail on my part. ;-)
04-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #33

Just tried the eye fi x2 pro in a K10 / Kx with lightroom and it works for me via a router (with jpeg and raw+). I have not tried it with an ad hoc network yet.
05-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I just hope the guys at pentax are working on remote software for the 645D.. Which should work with the k-7.. The 645D will become a joke very fast if it dosn't have a Remote software option..

05-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adrian Owerko Quote
I just hope the guys at pentax are working on remote software for the 645D.. Which should work with the k-7.. The 645D will become a joke very fast if it dosn't have a Remote software option..
I have no information either way, but given the fact Pentax are promoting the 645D as a rugged, outdoor camera, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see them leave tethering out again. That, plus if they were intending to share a tethering feature between both the K-7 and 645D, I would personally have expected them to release it for the K-7 as early as possible, where it might help them boost sales (or slow street prices from eroding as quickly).

I'd really love to be wrong about this, because for my own personal usage it's probably the single biggest thing the K-7's lacking, but I'll be very surprised if tethering ever becomes possible for the K-7 at this point.
05-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Potential studio buyer of 645D: "I'd like to have a live workflow in my studio, with direct control of and import into my editing suite - what can you tell me about the 645D".

Pentax salesman: "Err, not a lot".

Well maybe not that bad, but I don't think that there are too many pros out there that are going to use the 645D only for outdoor work (and how many sealed lenses are there for the 645 system?).
05-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wish Pentax would forget about their Remote Assistant (or make it open source), but create an API supported by their cameras and publish it. Let the open source community create a PC based external capability to control the camera and down load the images. It would be another reason to ACTUALLY buy a Pentax - rather than a reason NOT to buy a Pentax.

05-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Let the open source community create a PC based external capability to control the camera and down load the images.
Not K-7 or K-x, but ...

PK-Remote | Get PK-Remote at SourceForge.net

Thank you
Russell
05-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Yes. I hope Pentax is listening to this. PLEAE MAKE ALL YOUR CAMERAS TATHERING CAPABLE!!! That includes the K-7, 645d and anything else that comes out. No cameras will ever be considered professional if it doesn't have tethering capabilities. I have a K10, K20 and K-7, and I do about an equal part of location/outdoors shooting and inside/studio shooting. When shooting product or models in a studio, it's so ridiculously helpful to be tethered. I love my K-7 for action, but in the studio I will use my K20, and would even use my K10 if I didn't have K20, over the K-7 simply because I can tether them. I understand that Pentax is perhaps targeting the outdoor enthusiasts, although they have made no claim, but they ostracize a huge user group that would potentially also be interested, by no having tether support. Pentax, PLEASE enable tethering with software that doesn't crash every 15 minutes and take 45 seconds to download each photo!!
07-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #40
Inactive Account

I add my request for tethered K7 or the next Pentax top of the line SLR -- compatible with Mac OS and Adobe Lightroom.
07-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
to be completely candid, the whole K7 tethering issue is a big reason I have put off buying the K-7, which was my original plan when I bought my K20D. I planed to move to the K7 once the firmware was shaken out and the price reached a level I was comfy with. But I assumed, apparently naively, that Pentax was producing bodies in line with what every other brand seems to be able to do...but this whole tethering thing combined with the fact of the SDM issues really makes the cost returning to Canon a not unreasonable option. It's getting old making constant compromises every time I turn around. Love the primes but the bodies just keep missing the mark by just enough to be embarrassing.

It almost seems as if HoyaTax is intentionally NOT making a more complete body in order to force users to upgrade every 2-3yrs to get the same features other brands have had for a decade.

With the K7 I have to wonder if there is an overheating issue as the reason to not enable tethering. There already was the whole "green line syndrome" at release and thinking about it now after seeing a few other K7 users reporting some noise issues which sure could be related to the sensor having heat tolerance issues, well at least some of the sensors, makes me ponder if the current K7 sensor is on the very fringe of it's temp range much of the time. So if tethering were enabled the odds of overheating enough to induce sensor IQ issues is increased.
07-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #42
Veteran Member

But tethering doesn't have to be in live view mode. I don't see how tethering capabilities would increase sensor heat, even if the sensor has overheating problems and is on the edge a lot, which I believe is likely true. I just need something that can quickly dump files to my laptop in real time, as I take them. I don't care if I can see live view on the monitor. If that's what you want, it's as easy as the HDMI output to any compatible monitor.
07-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
But tethering doesn't have to be in live view mode. I don't see how tethering capabilities would increase sensor heat, even if the sensor has overheating problems and is on the edge a lot, which I believe is likely true. I just need something that can quickly dump files to my laptop in real time, as I take them. I don't care if I can see live view on the monitor. If that's what you want, it's as easy as the HDMI output to any compatible monitor.
then, to me it seems, you want pseudo-tethering not true tethering. In camera LiveView has zero to do with tethering, but true tethering does involve sending the live image to the computer real time which is where the sensor heat might be an issue. I am used to this from the 40D I used to have and assumed the K20D had as well as the "new" K7 would support...it's a huge let down in the level of sophistication, or the lack there of, in the Pentax bodies/firmware in this area.

Either way there needs to be some way to get files directly to your PC other than an EyeFi card and it's slowness.

No matter I have gone from enthusiastic about going with a K7 this year to a real debate as to it being worth staying in the Pentax camp. It just seems to me that there has been a known heat issue with the revised sensor in the K7 from day one so HoyaTax designed their firmware around whatever functions could push it over the edge...perhaps it's simply a production line issue which has or has never been fixed only patched.

Still the darned thing does video just fine so I dunno how that blows holes in the overheating theory but I am sure it has to...Maybe it's just time to go back to a rock and chisel to capture images.
07-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #44
Veteran Member

The question is why has been out for a year hasn't it actually been done yet, especially if it's just a firmware thing?
07-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
to be completely candid, the whole K7 tethering issue is a big reason I have put off buying the K-7, which was my original plan when I bought my K20D. I planed to move to the K7 once the firmware was shaken out and the price reached a level I was comfy with. But I assumed, apparently naively, that Pentax was producing bodies in line with what every other brand seems to be able to do...but this whole tethering thing combined with the fact of the SDM issues really makes the cost returning to Canon a not unreasonable option. It's getting old making constant compromises every time I turn around. Love the primes but the bodies just keep missing the mark by just enough to be embarrassing.

It almost seems as if HoyaTax is intentionally NOT making a more complete body in order to force users to upgrade every 2-3yrs to get the same features other brands have had for a decade.

With the K7 I have to wonder if there is an overheating issue as the reason to not enable tethering. There already was the whole "green line syndrome" at release and thinking about it now after seeing a few other K7 users reporting some noise issues which sure could be related to the sensor having heat tolerance issues, well at least some of the sensors, makes me ponder if the current K7 sensor is on the very fringe of it's temp range much of the time. So if tethering were enabled the odds of overheating enough to induce sensor IQ issues is increased.
I hear ya on that! I was going to add the K7 to my K20 so that I'd have a faster AF camera for action and keep the tethering option in studio with the K20. I'm holding off on getting it. I wonder if playing loosy goosy with features can backfire on Pentax since I can't be the only one holding off on buying a newer camera because it doesn't do what my older one can, and with the K20/K7 being way similar people can wait till something else whets their whistle.