Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-09-2010, 07:17 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jboyde Quote
and with the K20/K7 being way similar people can wait till something else whets their whistle.
which is very wrong. Of course if your sole interest in the sensor, OK. Otherwise, very wrong.

07-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
then, to me it seems, you want pseudo-tethering not true tethering. In camera LiveView has zero to do with tethering, but true tethering does involve sending the live image to the computer real time which is where the sensor heat might be an issue.
Your distinction between "pseudo" and "true" tethering is yours alone. There have been many, many DSLRs and fixed-lens digicams over the years that offered what you call "pseudo" tethering, and until today I've never heard anybody refer to them as anything other than tethering.

There are different kinds of tethering, yes. They each bring advantages and disadvantages. What you call "pseudo" tethering would be very useful for me, and I imagine for many other Pentax K-7 shooters.
07-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #48
Pentaxian

I think eye-fi wifi sd cards would be your best option, although not ideal.
07-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #49

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jboyde Quote
I hear ya on that! I was going to add the K7 to my K20 so that I'd have a faster AF camera for action and keep the tethering option in studio with the K20. I'm holding off on getting it. I wonder if playing loosy goosy with features can backfire on Pentax since I can't be the only one holding off on buying a newer camera because it doesn't do what my older one can, and with the K20/K7 being way similar people can wait till something else whets their whistle.
Count me in that camp; the K7 was too similar in spec to the K20D - BUT - and this is the important part - had too many negative differences for me to "upgrade". Tethering, different battery & grip, and I think a few firmware things that got dropped. For the price (at the time)... Meh. Buying the body now means also buying a new grip & a pile of batteries.

Like you said... nothing there to whet the whistle. FF? Ya. 12MP@8fps? Sure.

I don't know if 'the new cameras' can keep me with Pentax. I hope so, switching = $$$.

08-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #50
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Not K-7 or K-x, but ...

PK-Remote | Get PK-Remote at SourceForge.net

Thank you
Russell
Will this work for the K-7?
08-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikro Quote
Will this work for the K-7?
Nope, because the camera firmware itself lacks any protocol for the software to communicate with.
08-31-2010, 05:03 AM   #52
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Nope, because the camera firmware itself lacks any protocol for the software to communicate with.
WTF is wrong with Pentax?

I checked all the specs on this thing before buying, but never thought to check whether or not tethering would be supported...I figured it being a "pro" level body that should be a given.

again...

08-31-2010, 05:06 AM   #53
Pentaxian

I checked all the specs on this thing before buying, but never thought to check whether or not tethering would be supported...I figured it being a "pro" level body that should be a given.

again...

Or WTF is wrong with you not checking a feature which is so damn important for you ?
08-31-2010, 05:10 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Well, the K-7 and the K-x both support the PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) protocol, which theoretically enables remote camera control to some degree. As I understand it, for example, PTP is how Lightroom tethering using the D90 works. But Pentax just have not written the code to enable tethering via PTP. PTP is certainly in there though.
08-31-2010, 06:22 AM   #55
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Or WTF is wrong with you not checking a feature which is so damn important for you ?
wtf is wrong with your reading comprehension?
08-31-2010, 06:24 AM   #56
Pentaxian

wtf is wrong with your reading comprehension?
None at all, you explicitly writes you didn't look it up although you should have.
08-31-2010, 06:36 AM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
this is a bit provocation no?

When you buy a DSLR liek the K7 (the "flagship" as they say), you should expect a minimum of features.

Mikro, change you signature photo (K7 proud owner)
08-31-2010, 06:49 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Just on the subject of tethering, after reading this:
Choosing Tethered Shooting Software for Nikon DSLR Cameras | The Photo Geek

I played with several of the freeware tethering applications mentioned (using Windows XP). Several managed to talk to the K-x via PTP - eg DIYPhotobits.com Camera Control, Loligo Tether and PhotoRemote. So PTP is there and works in the K-x and the K-7 for sure.

The camera compatibility chart for PhotoRemote indicates K-x support, and has ? next to the K-7. However when I ran the camera compatibility checking application, it indicated that remote shutter activation was not supported on the K-x, but other stuff was.

So it seems PTP is there in Pentax, and at least partly works with tethering apps mainly designed to run against Nikons. I certainly now have the impression that full tethering support isn't completely impossible on either the K-x or the K-7. The code in these freeware applications seems to be ALMOST capable of delivering full tethering support, but maybe the developers just haven't devoted any energy to make the code work with Pentax.

It is also to be noted that the tethering support of LR isn't for all models of all cameras, even by Nikon and Canon. Pentax tethering isn't alone in not being supported by LR.
08-31-2010, 08:07 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Well, the K-7 and the K-x both support the PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) protocol, which theoretically enables remote camera control to some degree. As I understand it, for example, PTP is how Lightroom tethering using the D90 works. But Pentax just have not written the code to enable tethering via PTP. PTP is certainly in there though.
Well, yes, that's true -- but try connecting via PTP. You'll find the camera itself shuts down imaging functions while PTP is active -- so it's not accessible to third parties to hook into for tethering purposes, either. (You'd have to disconnect the camera between shots, and then offload them, whether via PTP or Mass Storage, when tethered -- hardly the accepted definition of "tethering".)

My point wasn't whether or not the code was there (for all I know, Pentax's tethering code from the K20D is in the K-7's firmware, but not activated for whatever reason.)

The point was simply that, as stands, there's nothing that even third-party software can hook into to activate tethering on the K-7. It would require a firmware update from Pentax or a third-party, before the K-7 could offer tethering with *any* software.
08-31-2010, 08:31 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Can you show me where it says Pro in the spec? Can you show me where is says Pro anywhere in the literature put out by Pentax? So where did you get Pro from then?

Thank you
Russell