Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Tethered support fo Pentax Cameras through Lightroom?

Apparently only Canon and Nikon right now, but intriguing given Pentax support of DNG.
Adobe Link

Maybe shorten the workflow some more!

03-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I haven't tried with my K20, but when I plug my K7 into a computer it shuts down all picture taking functions.
I had a hoped that I could tell Lightroom to watch the 100Pentax folder on the card as a hot folder and so get tethered file transfers for small product and studio photography.
But alas, it wasn't to be.
Perhaps they'll introduce a firmware version that will allow this on the K7.
At some point I'll dig my k20 out of storage and see how it behaves, at least it has remote software support, so it may be possible to have Lightroom look in on it while shooting.
03-26-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Apparently only Canon and Nikon right now, but intriguing given Pentax support of DNG.
Adobe Link

Maybe shorten the workflow some more!
Possible but unlikely with the K10/K20 as they supported this through Pentax's own software (and so could be made to support it with third party software). I say unlikely though because they're not current models, and I can't see Adobe investing the money in programming a feature like that for discontinued models.

For the K-7, anybody's guess has a 50/50 chance of being right. The K-7 doesn't currently support tethering, but there's nothing to say it *couldn't*. Adobe can't add tethering for the K-7 unless Pentax enables it in their firmware though.
03-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Possible but unlikely with the K10/K20 as they supported this through Pentax's own software (and so could be made to support it with third party software). I say unlikely though because they're not current models, and I can't see Adobe investing the money in programming a feature like that for discontinued models.

For the K-7, anybody's guess has a 50/50 chance of being right. The K-7 doesn't currently support tethering, but there's nothing to say it *couldn't*. Adobe can't add tethering for the K-7 unless Pentax enables it in their firmware though.
Does this mean the K-7 doesn't work with Pentax Remote Assistant?

03-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Does this mean the K-7 doesn't work with Pentax Remote Assistant?
Yep, at the current time there is no tethering support for the K-7 in any program, because the camera itself simply doesn't support it.

The closest thing we have to a tethering solution so far is that the K-7 is now compatible with Eye-Fi X2 cards, meaning that images (including Raw) can be immediately offloaded via 802.11 b/g/n wireless network as they're captured. The downsides are that it's slower than a USB tether would be, doesn't allow the camera to be remotely configured or operated via the tether, and doesn't allow a remote live view stream.

That said, in certain circumstances it would still be significantly better than nothing. ;-)
03-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

One of the big let down's I found in moving to Pentax was I took it for granted that true tethered shooting was possible with the K7. I used it a lot with my old Canon gear...

It just seems Pentax has this habit of just missing the mark yet hitting it out of the park in other areas...still they miss on the small, yet significant, stuff. Weird...
03-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote

In theory, it's possible to shoot tethered (on screen review, not complete camera control) with a K10/20 via LR right now, just create a watch folder, and use the Pentax sw to auto save images to the watch folder when you're tethered. A couple of seconds after the snap, the picture appears. The problem is I've never been able to get the Pentax software to run for more than a few minutes w/o locking up or crashing. Keep meaning to try it with an EyeFi card, which should work.

Last edited by junyo; 03-26-2010 at 02:14 PM.
03-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
In theory, it's possible to shoot tethered witha K10/20 via LR right now, just create a watch folder, and use the Pentax sw to auto save images to the watch folder when you're tethered. A couple of seconds after the snap, the picture appears. The problem is I've never been able to get the Pentax software to run for more than a few minutes w/o locking up or crashing. Keep meaning to try it with an EyeFi card, which should work.
Yep, that's a good point. I was referring to it being integrated in the same manner as Adobe's done for Canon and Nikon, obviously, where you can see basic settings and trigger the shutter from within Lightroom itself.

(Nice screenshot here: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.0 Public Beta 2 Feature Feature Preview)

03-26-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It kind of bugs me that the G10 had full tethering support, and the flagship Pentax does not.
I hope at least third party support can be given going forward.
03-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Either we'll get official support, or there will be no support. Third parties can't add the feature if the camera body itself doesn't support it, and Pentax are pretty unlikely to change the firmware to allow it unless they're planning on updating (or remaking) their own tethering software.

So our options are basically a first-party solution (and third-party equivalents may possibly then spring up *as well*), or nothing.
03-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It kind of bugs me that the G10 had full tethering support, and the flagship Pentax does not.
The pentax equivalent (K10D) also had teathering. It is only the most recient that doesn't.

Probably because the Pentax Remote Assistant software was buggy as heck.
03-27-2010, 07:56 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
The pentax equivalent (K10D) also had teathering. It is only the most recient that doesn't.

it's not a question of software but of hardware (ie the camera).

If Pentax would "allow" the tethering in the K7, then the Pentax rem. ass. or Lightroom or any other softwares would work with that camera.
And probably some enthusiasts developpers could produce some free alternatives.
03-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
it's not a question of software but of hardware (ie the camera).

If Pentax would "allow" the tethering in the K7, then the Pentax rem. ass. or Lightroom or any other softwares would work with that camera.
And probably some enthusiasts developpers could produce some free alternatives.
Precisely why I posted, given that Pentax has adopted tools which assist workflow (DNG) based on another manufacturer (Adobe, who has some serious clout).

QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
Very true on both fronts. If it is a firmware issue, and can easily be enabled as per the K10d/supported by a third party software framework, why not take advantage of someone else doing the work for you.
03-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Remember the K10D did not offer it at first.
Users moaning because istD had it but not K10D brought it back so we should moan louder IMO
03-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #15
Pentaxian

So in summary the current 'almost or partial tethering' solutions for the K-x and K-7 are:

- plug in an external monitor (via HDMI on the K-7 and the USB/AV cable on a K-x) and use a wireless remote;

- use an Eye-fi card and a wireless remote;

- others?

And does 'full tethering' normally mean not only tripping the shutter remotely and transferring the files out of camera, but also adjusting focus, aperture etc remotely?