03-26-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
Banned

K-7 18-55mm $899 + 5% Bing Cashback

At J&R
http://www.jr.com/.../pentax/pe/PEN_K7BODY/?JRSource=chemail.Weekend.03262010

http://www.bing.com/shopping/pages/stores.aspx?scope=cashback&FORM=R5FD1

03-26-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
Banned

I actually just pulled the trigger on this deal less than an hour ago. It doesnt say if its the WR kit lens or not, but with a free 18-55 (not that I need it) and a sub 900 price tag, it really is the best deal around. I have been wanting a K7 for a while now. glad I waited and got such a good deal.
03-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Found it now. Tough decisions!
03-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #4

It says "Free Pentax 18-55MM Lens w/Purchase 4/10 " . No indication that you get the lens later if you buy it now?

03-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
make sure and read the "free lens" specs, I sincerely doubt they care giving away the WR version of the lense. I suspect they are looking to dump old stock standtard I & II builds of the 18-55 lense, so do not assume it is the WR...write or call to confirm, If it is the WR, WOW great deal!! I almost decided wure why not a few hours ago but then reaized what the ad was not saying...and that was a "free" 18-55WR. It was just saying a "free" 18-55

BTW, someone needs to lose the handoff through linksynergy (a web user metrics tracing service) because right now it's a no go for my systems as all such tracking services are blocked in my HOSTS file.

Last edited by brecklundin; 03-26-2010 at 02:14 PM.
03-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
copy of J&R email showing free Pentax 18-55mm

03-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
make sure and read the "free lens" specs, I sincerely doubt they care giving away the WR version of the lense. I suspect they are looking to dump old stock standtard I & II builds of the 18-55 lense, so do not assume it is the WR...write or call to confirm, If it is the WR, WOW great deal!! I almost decided wure why not a few hours ago but then reaized what the ad was not saying...and that was a "free" 18-55WR. It was just saying a "free" 18-55

BTW, someone needs to lose the handoff through linksynergy (a web user metrics tracing service) because right now it's a no go for my systems as all such tracking services are blocked in my HOSTS file.

you assumption is correct. the free 18-55mm is the non WR, smc P-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II

of course, since its free (and yes, when one considers the price (and deal) of the body alone, a "free" 18-5mm II really is free) you could always turn around and sell it. with the combined bing cash back (45 bucks at 5%) you could purchase the WR version. or use it for another lens fund, or just put it back in your bank account to help cover the cost of the body if you didnt pay on credit.

all in all, this really is the best deal around right now for anyone looking to purchase a K7. I have been waiting for quite some time. while I probably should have waited longer for the next price drop, it will only drop so far. so I jumped on this, and I recommend anyone looking to get a K7 soon to do the same.

03-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
you assumption is correct. the free 18-55mm is the non WR, smc P-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II

of course, since its free (and yes, when one considers the price (and deal) of the body alone, a "free" 18-5mm II really is free) you could always turn around and sell it. with the combined bing cash back (45 bucks at 5%) you could purchase the WR version. or use it for another lens fund, or just put it back in your bank account to help cover the cost of the body if you didnt pay on credit.

all in all, this really is the best deal around right now for anyone looking to purchase a K7. I have been waiting for quite some time. while I probably should have waited longer for the next price drop, it will only drop so far. so I jumped on this, and I recommend anyone looking to get a K7 soon to do the same.
I agree, it's a really nice deal and one of the better so far. I just wanted to point out that some people might, incorrectly assume this is the "kit" with the WR 18-55mm and people need to look for what is not present in an ad before being disappointed when they either realize they received the "old" version of the lense or just keep assuming it's the WR version and take it out in the rain only to kill their lense and/or brand new K7 when the lense shorts out, fogs up or whatever.
03-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
the free 18-55mm is the non WR, smc P-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II
Just curious, did you contact the store to verify which lens they'd send?

I was waiting for lower prices, but I don't want to wait too long and this deal seems good enough to cut a month off my waiting, so I bought. I find having extra kit lenses to give away is helpful when convincing others (mostly family) to buy into Pentax.
03-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Changa, I am feeling the same way, but I suspect Seamuis is dead on that it's best to assume it's NOT the 18-55WR then is by some weird bit of luck it is, then ya got an even better deal. Still if you get $50 for the lens and the 5% Bing cashback, that makes the body only $800. The nest step is to ensure J&R is an authorized Pentax retailer, I am assuming they are because they are just too big. But this matters for the added 2-yrs on the warranty for the body when registered (should be a card ,for the extra 2-yrs, in the box as I recall).
03-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Changa, I am feeling the same way, but I suspect Seamus is dead on that it's best to assume it's NOT the 18-55WR then is by some weird bit of luck it is, then ya got an even better deal. Still if you get $50 for the lens and the 5% Bing cashback, that makes the body only $800. The nest step is to ensure J&R is an authorized Pentax retailer, I am assuming they are because they are just too big. But this matters for the added 2-yrs on the warranty for the body when registered (should be a card ,for the extra 2-yrs, in the box as I recall).
I did check on the authorized dealer part. The Pentax website listed them as authorized.
03-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Changa Quote
Just curious, did you contact the store to verify which lens they'd send?

I was waiting for lower prices, but I don't want to wait too long and this deal seems good enough to cut a month off my waiting, so I bought. I find having extra kit lenses to give away is helpful when convincing others (mostly family) to buy into Pentax.
it says so in the email sent after you place the order. use the link to 'check order status' and it will show you the contents of the order. here is a screenshot from my order status page:

and yes they are authorized.
Attached Images

03-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #13
Banned

Original Poster
I purchased my K-7 from them with $65 Bing cashback when the K-7 first came out since it was the lowest price at that time.
03-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #14
Banned

just thought id inform anyone that cares, that J&R shipped my K-7. same day, only a few hours after placing the order. im not accustomed to many retailers giving free same day shipping. now I must play the waiting game to get my K-7. I havent been this excited in a while, as I passed on both the K10 and K20. I even 'downgraded' from my k110 to a istD in the process. im really looking forward to getting my hands on this camera.
03-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #15

Photos: Gallery
I believe that J&R is offering the K7 & WR lens for $1119. That leads me to believe that the $899 price is with the non-WR version of the lens. Additionally, they are not specifying that which lens the $899 includes so their vagueness also leads me to believe it's a non-WR.
As far as J&R goes they are located in downtown Manhattan and are reputable and authorized Pentax dealers.
I doubt you'll be disappointed unless you're expecting a WR lens.