Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2010, 04:59 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
The K-7 is an excellent camera, whatever is your final choice.
You can't go wrong buying it, IMO that's the most important: you don't risk much.
Thanks Thibs! In a way I wish I'd bought the K20 in the first place, but I'll settle for buying the K7 now. It has video, which the K20 didn't, as well as other new features that are useful.

Rob

03-28-2010, 05:07 AM   #17
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Might be a month or two off, but the dates I could dig up from the web are;
K10d - released Sept 06
K10d Grand Prix - released June 07
K20d - released Jan 08
K20d Titan - released Mar 09
K-7 - released May 09
K-7 Silver - released Mar 10
There might be some truth in this as the modus operandi of Pentax seems to be to release a super duper version of a camera some months before replacing it.
03-28-2010, 05:28 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
The K7 silver doesn't seem to have any feature differences other than (I think) the focussing screen? That and the colour.
03-28-2010, 08:19 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
I'd guess no. This year, there would mostly likely be such a camera but it would
probably be announced in September with a ship date of November or December.

Pentax will probably introduce upgrades to the K-x and K-7 this year, both in of the same form-factor as their predecessors. I know people want something different (larger sensor) or a K20D successor (I personally find that body much more comfortable buy can't do without a 100% viewfinder anymore) but those are highly unlikely for at least one more year, IMHO.

- Itai
Digital Camera Buying Guide, Photography Articles and Reviews | NeoCamera.com

03-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #20

The only thing in K7 that should be better is the sensor.
I see no way for Pentax to get and adopt better sensor in reasonable time.
So, K7 is a right choice now.
03-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Hi All,
I'm curious whether anyone believes there is any likelihood of a successor to the K7 before July 2010. I'm thinking of buying one right now, but if there was a successor likely in that timeframe I would more likely wait to see its spec. It would presumably also bring the K7 price down prior to switching to the new model.

Rob
I see major sales push to get K-7 's out the door at the moment, so I wouldn't be surprsied if the new model is to be known soon.
03-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Common sense guesses based on Pentax's past release dates:
  • The K-7 successor will be announced at the Photokina in the (North Hemisphere's) Autumn. It should ship by November-December this year.
  • A K200D replacement might be announced before the Photokina so it's already shipping by that date and working units are available for Photokina attendants to try out. Then again, given the economy, Pentax might have decided to forego the middle rung camera and just stick to entry-level and high-end DSLRs.
  • A K-x replacement probably won't be announced until 2011, or maybe late 2010 for early 2011 shipping.

I'm willing to bet this is how it's going to pan out given past trajectories, but there is one thing that could change all this: The introduction of a full-frame DSLR. A FF Pentax will mean resources from the APS-C division have been diverted for its development, which might also imply there will be no K-7 successor, ever. APS-C would have two cameras: A K-x type camera, and a K300D. The top DSLR would now be a single Pentax FF. I'm hoping this doesn't happen.

We'll find out in a few months.

03-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #23
Veteran Member

From the looks of things Pentax is getting better at hiding release dates and product info aside from the 645D. I think they like it this way, it builds anticipation and excitement from followers and when news does break it gives the photo world as of late a big stir.

The News and Rumors section isn't swimming with spec's and blurry photos like it once was. I did enjoy reading 20 page threads on the next 'what comes after...' as there was something concrete to go on and kept my interest, less so in the past year. Pentax reps, people like Ned, read this and I'm sure they'd rather leave it for a surprise while gathering free R&D ideas off the continuous speculation and 'what I'd like to see next' ideas. The K-7 was testament to that.

I'd say tweak a few features on the K-7 with a new sensor, make it the K-7II, keep the price where it is since the drop; the K-x can keep going as is unless a mid life refit needs to be done; release a Pro level FF and you'd have a well rounded family and a powerhouse brand that commands attention. Something for most everyone.

My guess is the fall on the next camera, the K-7 is still to fresh to trump.
03-29-2010, 03:44 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Everyone says stick a new sensor in the K7, but what new sensor is out there? The kx sensor isn't fast enough and Canon isn't going to sell its 18 megapixel sensor to Pentax. I just don't know what better sensor is out there right now from Sony.
03-29-2010, 03:57 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
The K7 silver doesn't seem to have any feature differences other than (I think) the focussing screen? That and the colour.
The Silver edition isn't trying to be a different camera, so basically you've outlined the changes (and a different cover for the display on the back of the camera......tempered glass I think)

If you like the K7, you can get one that is a little special. This has been done by Pentax for decades with their consumer models (look at the K1000 SE, or the ME Super SE etc etc).

QuoteOriginally posted by Male Gorilla Quote
The only thing in K7 that should be better is the sensor.
I see no way for Pentax to get and adopt better sensor in reasonable time.
So, K7 is a right choice now.
While better ISO would be nice, the Samsung sensor is a strong point in other areas. I agree that we would need to see some improvement for ISO a new camera...that and I'd like to see an increase in AF.
03-29-2010, 05:16 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Everyone says stick a new sensor in the K7, but what new sensor is out there? The kx sensor isn't fast enough and Canon isn't going to sell its 18 megapixel sensor to Pentax. I just don't know what better sensor is out there right now from Sony.
Sony EXMOR CMOS 14.2Mpix from a550/a450.
Or that one soon ?:
Interesting Samsung sensor ?
03-29-2010, 07:42 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I'm actually almost more interested to see if they are going to release any new lenses this year. Besides the D-FA WR 100 f/2.8, which came out of nowhere, and a few rumor threads, there hasn't really been any rumblings about new lens releases.

What other lenses would they release, you ask? I don't know. The long lost super telephoto lens. Maybe that DA*30 mm (cue Janneman). A teleconverter. Those were the last items on the old road map that haven't been released.

Speaking of new camera bodies, in a previous interview this year someone at Hoya/Pentax said that they are currently working on new camera bodies (or, more accurately, that the 645D project would not interfere with the plans they already have going on these bodies) I wish I had a link back to the interview, I think it was around PMA? Anybody remember what I'm talking about?

Anyway, while this doesn't necessarily mean that new cameras will be released this year, it would suggest that things are in motion.
03-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Everyone says stick a new sensor in the K7, but what new sensor is out there? The kx sensor isn't fast enough
Could you substantiate this, please?

QuoteQuote:
and Canon isn't going to sell its 18 megapixel sensor to Pentax. I just don't know what better sensor is out there right now from Sony.
Personally, I'd be happy with the K-x sensor (fast enough or not) in a K-7 body. I'm really banking on that.

03-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I'm thinking we see something to replace the k7 this fall. If not that then AT LEAST new lenses. The K7 will be nearly a year and a half old when Photokina rolls around. That's about how long the k20 was out before the k7 was released. Then again, it is Pentax and their logic seems to defy understanding.
03-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Personally, I'd be happy with the K-x sensor (fast enough or not) in a K-7 body. I'm really banking on that.

If the K-x sensor can't do 5fps (or 4.5 fps), there's no hope at all. That would be seen as a regression (true or not is another point).