Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
If the K-x sensor can't do 5fps (or 4.5 fps), there's no hope at all. That would be seen as a regression (true or not is another point).
It is not just that, but also the fact that the kx sensor can only do 24 fps video (not at full HD). I would guess that the follow up to the K7 would have full HD capability at 30 fps. That is just my guess, but anything else would feel like a step backward.

03-29-2010, 01:35 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is not just that, but also the fact that the kx sensor can only do 24 fps video (not at full HD). I would guess that the follow up to the K7 would have full HD capability at 30 fps. That is just my guess, but anything else would feel like a step backward.
Depends who you ask; a camera that can perform better at high ISO will be a step forward for those that take photographs at high ISO. If a DSLR's performance is not going to be improved for still picture taking because its movie mode needs to be upgraded, then maybe it's time to run for the hills

03-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Depends who you ask; a camera that can perform better at high ISO will be a step forward for those that take photographs at high ISO. If a DSLR's performance is not going to be improved for still picture taking because its movie mode needs to be upgraded, then maybe it's time to run for the hills

I personally agree, but looking at the Canon 550/T2i, I think more video seems to be the area of improvement that we are looking at. I just don't see any way that Pentax can release a camera to compete without equivalent video specs. Why else has Sony fallen so far behind in the SLR market, except for their dogged resistance to putting video in their SLRs?
03-30-2010, 04:13 AM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
The Silver edition isn't trying to be a different camera, so basically you've outlined the changes (and a different cover for the display on the back of the camera......tempered glass I think)
Fair enough! I guess I'll have to wait and see how my vanilla K7 turns out. Thanks again to everyone for the feedback!
(alas the vendor didn't have them in stock so it wasn't in time for my birthday)

03-30-2010, 06:21 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Depends who you ask; a camera that can perform better at high ISO will be a step forward for those that take photographs at high ISO. If a DSLR's performance is not going to be improved for still picture taking because its movie mode needs to be upgraded, then maybe it's time to run for the hills ...
well yes and no. Some will cry because fps didn't go faster some will cry because they can't shoot 25600 ISO without noise and some other cry because the can't get FullHD@120 fps. You can't please everyone.

I know cameras are supposed to take pictures but this is changing (rightly or not is not the point). What drives the market will get more attention from manufacturers, and very logically so (again, I may disagree with what drives the market).
03-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
You certainly know that the new camera will be price above the K7's current price, and in this economy I do not think that you will see any aggressive price reductions to clear the shelves. I also think that the K20's price floor at $700 or so, shows to some degree the amount of price elasticity or softness there could be. So right now, I would guess that your playing with about a $200 or about a 20% margin. I can only guess that if they intend to come out with a new model, this year, that they would need it out and available for Christmas. So looking back to the KX again - which was out for last Christmas, it was announced in September (searching back on the web). So if Pentax intends to do something this year, it will probably be within the next 6 months and your probably risking at most $200 in price.
This is my view, exactly, and it is why I just bought a K-7 for $920. If I decide to sell it one year from now to upgrade to a K-8, I will be out of pocket no more than $300, which is not bad for a full year of use. On the other hand, I may find myself so satisfied with the K-7 that I will feel no need to upgrade. For $920, it is a whole lot of camera. The K-x is even less expensive, but except for its high ISO noise superiority, it suffers in terms of AF, metering, weather-sealing, construction, shutter noise etc.

The K-7 is a tremendous value right now. The competition cannot touch it.

Rob
03-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
The competition cannot touch it.
and they don't - they just sell more of their own cameras and Pentax sells more Kx...

03-31-2010, 12:58 PM   #38
Forum Member

Bonsoir,

My buying strategy is to
  1. buy every second generation of camera
  2. wait after the 6 first months in order to have enough feed-back
  3. and / or buy the previous generation when a new one is launched

I had a K10D, didn't change for a K20D, and waited till the K7 was fully reviewed and below the EUR / USD 1,000 price-tag. I also monitor the used cameras market to sell the previous one: I usually get 40~60% of the initial price.

The K7 is really an excellent camera, with high picture quality and many, many parameters to play with.

Remember the camera is only part of the cost: don't forget about the lenses. The K7 deserves DA* lenses, so lenses have to be planned along camera.

Best regards,
03-31-2010, 05:53 PM   #39
Inactive Account

Well by now everyone knows that Pentax came out with a medium format. They did not come out with a replacement for the K-7 yet. The K-x appears to be selling really well and is a sharp little camera. High or Low may be Pentax's nitch in this camera world. It should also be noted that the two big guys did not come out with replacements unless you consider Canon's 7D a replacement but it doesn't appear to be being pitted against the 50D. They all came out with some inexpensive entry level cameras. My opinion is they will all take a wait-and-see approach to the economy. I was really hoping for a FF. I ownd the K-10, K-20, K-7, and K-x. Great pictures generated from the K-20. Camera with the best functioning options for me is the K-7. With all this said I broke down and bought a Nikon D700 FF because I did not want to wait for Pentax to come out with one. So far the Nikon 700D is pretty amazing but I still love my Pentax camera's and carry the K-7 with me as my walk-around-camera. O and I own just about all the Pentax lenses so I won't be getting rid of my Pentax cameras anytime soon.
04-01-2010, 02:41 AM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The K7 kit arrived today. A very different user interface, so it will take a little getting used to! Luckily, it's Easter, so I have a 4 day weekend to find things to try it on.