Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
These Pentax rumours are almost a standing joke. People have been claiming that Pentax is going out of business for years.

Still, I wonder why this rumour has become so embedded in the US camera sales channel. I've seen stories like this repeatedly on this forum and on other sites.

It isn't something I've ever heard any sales person or photographer mention in Australia though. Must be an issue with Pentax USA.
This rumor hasn't being going around for years, it has been going on for decades!

Pentax was going out of business in 1984 when I got my K1000 and verified again when I got the SuperProgram 2nd hand in the late 80s. I know the rumor was credible because a dude at Wolfe Camera told me the same thing in 1989.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand Quote
I was in San Diego last week, and went into a well-known camera retailer (name starts with G). . .
What did the G stand for? Goofy's Cameras? Hysterical

Last edited by Blue; 03-29-2010 at 10:55 AM.
03-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand Quote
I was in San Diego last week, and went into a well-known camera retailer (name starts with G). I was interested in looking at, and possibly purchasing a K-X. The fellow behind the counter said that: a) it was impossible to get Pentax products; b) the company was probably going out of business; c) that they had a very limited lens selection, and d) even independent lens makers like Tamron are not making glass for Pentax cameras.

I then asked about Olympus, and he rolled his eyes, made some comment about their wierd sensor size, and said that they didn't stock these cameras either.

His next move was to bring out a Nikon D3000 with a Tamron super zoom, which he tried to make a deal on.

Any truth to these Pentax rumors and innuendos? Any other retailers in San Diego that are more likely to deal in Pentax?

This dude isn't as well informed as he thinks. Pentax is doing quite well and Olympus makes great cameras as well, despite the 4/3 sensor. My wife and I have made more money with her Olympus than we have with my Pentax as it now stands. That'll change once I get that 50-135 though.

(That Olympus 50mm f/2 macro is one smokin' lens)
03-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Rather comical in my case. i went in to my local camera store looking to purchase a C or N camera and he recommended the K20. So I went home confused did some research and behold here I am today, whelding a K20. But then again this camera store is pretty reputable. Got lucky I guess to find some real honest information from a sales person!
03-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I think it's a mistake of Pentax to not get the product out their a bit more, but perhaps they are trying to focus the supply to where it will sell right away.

Regarding the response from that store....I think we should expect something like that. Try going into an appliance place and ask about a brand they don't sell and you'll probably be told that they don't stock the brand because of some sort of issue with it (when their really is no issue). Try going into an electronics place and ask for a stereo brand that they don't carry, and you'll be told it's crap. Why?, because they want to make the sale.

You probably also need to keep in mind the markup as well....even if they do have something in stock, he/she wants to sell you something where they make the most amount of money off of it. The sale is really all about what is in it for them, not you.

03-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I was in San Diego two years ago, for a cruise. The day before we sailed, I had a problem with my K10D. I looked in the phone book and found a camera store close to our hotel. I believe it was Nelson's on India street.

Anyway, they were very helpful with my K10D. While I was there, they had a showcase full of K20D's, K200's (or maybe they were K2000's, not sure). The showcase behind the counter was filled with Pentax brand lenses, as well as Tamron and Sigma lenses in Pentax mount.

Maybe things have changed since then, but they definitely had plenty of Pentax products in stock.
03-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I've lived in SD for about 5 years now, and that "G" store has never once treated me right. They mis-inform, they constantly direct me towards buying stuff online, and treat me and other customers like idiots.

I avoid it at all costs, even to the point of driving 10X further to get film or small items from a store that is only slightly less horrible at customer service.

Next time you are in SD, look up "Camera Exposure" which is really close to the "G" store, and you'll find a bunch of neat old film gear, and a guy that actually knows what he's talking about. His hours are pretty weird though, as he's semi-retired.
03-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When I worked in camera stores through high school and college, many distributors would offer incentives to the retailer for selling their items. Some stores would pay the employees a straight salary, others would have a base salary and then on top of that a commission. So, there may be some sales incentives for certain products.

In terms of the folks at the camera stores - I worked with some really knowledgeable people and also shared the counter with people who had no qualms about saying things that were extreme distortions of the truth or outright lies.

03-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I should consider myself lucky.

I get a good amount of respect from the camera stores in downtown Toronto for shooting Pentax. Henry's has a couple of Pentax shooters on staff, Aden always has a sweet selection of Limiteds in the window... even the Blacks (a consumer store) superstore location has Pentax K7s and KXs in stock and aren't dismissive about Pentax.
03-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #24

Original Poster
The store was George's

The store in question is George's Camera Exchange. I went there specifically because they had Pentax products listed on their website, and because they had a good web deal on a K-X kit. However, the sales guy insisted that they didn't sell Pentax.

It's interesting because all of the stores here in Victoria, Canada carry Pentax cameras, even the generic mall-based stores.
03-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #25

I was talking to a gentleman in Colorado Springs who worked at a camera store who actually does stock Pentax.

When I asked about if they had plans to expand on their inventory, he mentioned that it is very hard to get shipments of gear from Pentax. They were basically told to "go buy it from B&H," because it was cheaper, easier, and faster for them to buy (as a retailer) through another retailer than it was to get it from Pentax.
03-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirivon Quote
I was talking to a gentleman in Colorado Springs who worked at a camera store who actually does stock Pentax.

When I asked about if they had plans to expand on their inventory, he mentioned that it is very hard to get shipments of gear from Pentax. They were basically told to "go buy it from B&H," because it was cheaper, easier, and faster for them to buy (as a retailer) through another retailer than it was to get it from Pentax.
You'd think they would be able to go over to Golden and get some.
03-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The big issue for these stores is the $100,000 a year minimum inventory order. If you are a 1-Store Chain or you are trying to stay in the end-bracket for Canon you really can't afford to sell Pentax. If you never see a Pentax rep and your Sigma and Canon and Nikon reps are constantly whispering in your ear the latest inside rumor from some recent camera show, who are you going to believe? And that's the HONEST guys!!

Our local chain of 8 stores, Creve Couer Camera, carries and features Pentax gear, runs Pentax co-op radio and TV ads and features Pentax online, as well. 8 stores is enough to make the $100,000 cut. They're also just plain good retailers. They could sell anything successfully.

The feature box in the upper left of the online webstore kind of alternates between the K-x and K-7.

Some of the countermen are a bit pissy about Pentax, but so what? I can say no with the best of them.

Or just go over to the used section and spend my good money on K glass.
03-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #28

I guess I'm just imaging the Tamron 28-75 and 70-200, and the Sigma 50 and 10-20 that I thought were in my bag. Damn, I guess I better buy some lenses!
03-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #29
Veteran Member

This was my experience about 2-3 years ago. Now even the big box chains have Pentax camera out to hold and try. I's very nice to see, and at my last outing I ran into 4 other Pentax photographers. I was shocked.

I'm going to have to find another obsure brand to support. Perhaps Sigma.
03-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Can dealers do this, buy from B&H for less and sell with warranty

Can pentax dealers do this, buy from B&H for less and sell same items to customers with real warranty ???

I've read its nearly impossible to buy new Pentax gear in Denver, just a few miles east of Golden. Which is funny since Golden is the USA headquarters of Pentax USA and Denver is HUGE in square miles and population. But Denver is not big enough market for Pentax to bother with

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirivon Quote

Last edited by Samsungian; 03-30-2010 at 05:08 AM.