Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #1

Spurned in San Diego

I was in San Diego last week, and went into a well-known camera retailer (name starts with G). I was interested in looking at, and possibly purchasing a K-X. The fellow behind the counter said that: a) it was impossible to get Pentax products; b) the company was probably going out of business; c) that they had a very limited lens selection, and d) even independent lens makers like Tamron are not making glass for Pentax cameras.

I then asked about Olympus, and he rolled his eyes, made some comment about their wierd sensor size, and said that they didn't stock these cameras either.

His next move was to bring out a Nikon D3000 with a Tamron super zoom, which he tried to make a deal on.

Any truth to these Pentax rumors and innuendos? Any other retailers in San Diego that are more likely to deal in Pentax?

03-28-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
Nubi

San Diego???

Well, there was this not too long ago.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/88336-i-started-rumor.html

I was not sure if the dude and his family was San Diego, but he didn't know what Pentax was either. Somehow I am not surprised that if the camera shops in San Diego are saying stuff like that, then no surprise there is a doofus like the guy I met at the zoo.

Then, this happened;

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/93733-omg-i-dr...m-f-1-2-a.html

Anybody here a priest? Can I make a confession?
03-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I know I'm quick with the moron label, but the retailer you were talking to is fairly deserving of the label.
03-28-2010, 11:43 PM   #4

I live in San Diego.

Calumet up in Escondido occasionally stocks the K-x and K-7 kits, and Frys (at least the one off Aero Drive) sells the K-x in white, the K-7 body, and a few lenses...

No one I have found sells any extensive amount of Pentax stuff in SD, but from what I have been reading on these forums, that seems to be the case most places. Pentax just seems to prefer doing business with online retailers.

Also, as evidenced by the amount of activity on this forum, I don't think Pentax is going anywhere any time soon... they just don't have the market share that Nikon and Pentax do (even Olympus, for that matter), and so are less lucrative for brick-and-mortar retailers to stock since it's all about turning over your inventory of the "popular" items, not carrying the "cult" brands...

03-28-2010, 11:44 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand Quote
I was in San Diego last week, and went into a well-known camera retailer (name starts with G). I was interested in looking at, and possibly purchasing a K-X. The fellow behind the counter said that: a) it was impossible to get Pentax products; b) the company was probably going out of business; c) that they had a very limited lens selection
Well, Pentax does have a selection of Limited lenses...

Seriously, did he give any facts indicative of Pentax going out of business? I can say it's probably going to rain tomorrow, but I could have no clue whatsoever. It might just be that the retailer makes more profit on the products he was trying to sell, and that he was looking for a way to sell them to you. And if it were impossible to get Pentax products, how do other retailers get a hold of them?

Realistically, any commercial company can go out of business, and one day you might find yourself having a Pentax camera when Pentax is gone. Does that stop you making photos? You might eventually go to C or N, but anyway I wouldn't worry about it too much and just focus on making photos.
03-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

These Pentax rumours are almost a standing joke. People have been claiming that Pentax is going out of business for years.

Still, I wonder why this rumour has become so embedded in the US camera sales channel. I've seen stories like this repeatedly on this forum and on other sites.

It isn't something I've ever heard any sales person or photographer mention in Australia though. Must be an issue with Pentax USA.
03-29-2010, 12:45 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
These Pentax rumours are almost a standing joke. People have been claiming that Pentax is going out of business for years.

Still, I wonder why this rumour has become so embedded in the US camera sales channel. I've seen stories like this repeatedly on this forum and on other sites.

It isn't something I've ever heard any sales person or photographer mention in Australia though. Must be an issue with Pentax USA.
Not only in the US

03-29-2010, 12:46 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I was in San Diego last week, and went into a well-known camera retailer (name starts with G). I was interested in looking at, and possibly purchasing a K-X. The fellow behind the counter said that: a) it was impossible to get Pentax products; b) the company was probably going out of business; c) that they had a very limited lens selection, and d) even independent lens makers like Tamron are not making glass for Pentax cameras.

I then asked about Olympus, and he rolled his eyes, made some comment about their wierd sensor size, and said that they didn't stock these cameras either.

His next move was to bring out a Nikon D3000 with a Tamron super zoom, which he tried to make a deal on.

Any truth to these Pentax rumors and innuendos? Any other retailers in San Diego that are more likely to deal in Pentax?
Stating that kind of comments, it ids obvious to me that even if I'd buy Canon/Nikon, I'd look elsewhere to buy it. What a bunch of morons.
03-29-2010, 02:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't know about SD but its certainly common for them to stir you towards the products they cannot sell or have the highest margins on.

The glut of pentax lenses and products would indicate that its actually selling very well.

Price-wise I dont think any makers can beat Pentax K-x right now. Even the new M 4/3s are to be paid a premium over K-x.
03-29-2010, 03:41 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't worry about Pentax's future at the present. Your situation is like going into the Ford dealer and asking them if General Motors or Chrysler is going to make it.

Pentax used to have a tiny presence in a lot of shops that sort of kept them around, but didn't sell anything. A few years ago they made requirement that stores sell a minimum of product (100,000 dollars?) a year in order to continue as Pentax dealers. Most stores dropped out at that time. Still, feels to me like they are in as good shape as any of the other camera companies in these weak economic times.
03-29-2010, 07:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

This is the dealer list for Munich, my city:
QuoteQuote:
Dinkel Landwehrstraße 6
Foto Nürbauer Zweibrückenstr. 13
Foto-Video Sauter Sonnenstr. 26
Media Markt Einsteinstraße 130
Saturn Hanauer Str. 77
Saturn Neuhauser Str. 39
Saturn Willy-Brandt-Platz 5
Saturn Ollenhauer Str. 6
Saturn Schwanthaler Str. 115
The first three are serious camera shops, Dinkel is for professionals only.
Media Markt and Saturn are the market leaders for electronic consumer goods in Germany. Note that all Saturn shops carry Pentax while only one Media Markt (out of as many) carries Pentax.

From what I've heard, Pentax doesn't ship anymore to shops which don't meet certain quality criteria in selling the brand. The "selected shops only" policy is rather new with Pentax. The San Diego shop ("G...") would certainly fail to pass the criteria and get no products to sell even if they tried...

pentaximaging lists for San Diego:
QuoteQuote:
NELSON PHOTO SUPPLIES 1909 India Street
GEORGE'S CAMERA EXCHANGE 3837 30Th Street
and if the shop with "G" happens to be GEORGE'S then they would not have been listed according to the Pentax policy here.

However, I doubt the retailer with "G" was GEORGE'S. Because of:
Georges Camera - Shop Online for camera gear and accessories

On the other hand, NELSON (Products - Nelson Photo) doesn't list Pentax online, only Canikon and Leica.

So, 2 shops in San Diego vs. 9 shops in Munich. Both cities being roughly of equal size.

Attachment: snapshot from video on NELSON PHOTO SUPPLIES home page

UPDATE (as posted by Frank_B): "That must be an old picture from Nelson's . . . they have not carried any Pentax gear for at least a year now"

Last edited by falconeye; 06-15-2011 at 05:29 AM.
03-29-2010, 07:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

that dude probably doesn't know much about Pentax and history of Pentax... It's just like some Best Buy DI employees, only thing they would sell it Canon and Nikon, pretty much all the know...
03-29-2010, 07:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax were going bust when I got my K10D 2 years ago.

They are taking ages, I want to buy some cheap lenses.

It does look like Tamron have given up on us though.
03-29-2010, 09:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I first heard that "Pentax is going out of business in the next 6 months to a year" from my college photography professor. That was in 1977-78 and he shot Minolta.... Ironic huh?

Mike
03-29-2010, 09:07 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Pentax were going bust when I got my K10D 2 years ago.

They are taking ages, I want to buy some cheap lenses.

It does look like Tamron have given up on us though.
Pentax was going bust even before that. There were rumors back in 2005 when I got my DS.

NaCl(and probably before that too)H2O