Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2007, 07:03 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
There is something in the air. The rumors are running high. Will there be a Pentax Fall Surprise? The indications seem to reflect that there may be. From some of the posts I have read from credible sources and my own info it seems to lean in that direction. I could be wrong but there could be a major lens and body Blitzkrieg...
Ben,

Let's hope so. The drought has been going on long enough!

Here is a humorous...not too humorous look at B&H Photo yesterday.

Just to let you know... there is another Canon shelf to the right

So, Ben looks like there is plenty of room for a Fall surprise.

I have heard the same... but then... I ordered my DA* zooms in February. I'll patiently wait and see.

Last edited by SCGushue; 07-29-2007 at 08:36 PM.
07-18-2007, 01:23 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote

Probably pentax thinks that scarcity will make their products more desirable/expensive. Pretty much like diamonds . it is said "Diamonds are forever', but old pentax lenses are no slouch either .
07-18-2007, 05:10 AM   #18

Ben,

Let's hope so. The drought has been going on long enough!

So, Ben looks like there is plenty of room for a Fall surprise.

I have heard the same... but then... I ordered my DA* zooms in February. I'll patiently wait and see.
Actually that photo is kind of sad, pathetic and a little depressing.
07-18-2007, 05:24 AM   #19
Pentaxian

SCGushue... I'll take that photo in a positive light. B&H simply sells Pentax gear so fast that they only need one shelf.

I know, I'm dreaming... but we have to do something to keep our spirits up. LOL

07-18-2007, 05:24 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery
I agree with KFrog. This should not be happening.
07-18-2007, 08:48 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
SCGushue... I'll take that photo in a positive light. B&H simply sells Pentax gear so fast that they only need one shelf.

I know, I'm dreaming... but we have to do something to keep our spirits up. LOL
Mike,

While it was saddening to see the shelf not stocked with much of anything worthwhile, I don't yet have a reason to give up on Pentax.

They clearly have a track record of lens technology that is optically equal to... or exceeds... Canon and Nikon in the lens arena. The only problem is they are not (to our knowledge) building anything currently.

Personally, I don't think it is a big jump to redo the FA technology with built in motors in the big glass... nor is it that difficult to do. So, I think we are likely to see the big and the fast glass sooner rather than later.

Time (hopefully not too long) will tell.

Stephen
07-18-2007, 06:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Mike,

While it was saddening to see the shelf not stocked with much of anything worthwhile, I don't yet have a reason to give up on Pentax.

They clearly have a track record of lens technology that is optically equal to... or exceeds... Canon and Nikon in the lens arena. The only problem is they are not (to our knowledge) building anything currently.

Personally, I don't think it is a big jump to redo the FA technology with built in motors in the big glass... nor is it that difficult to do. So, I think we are likely to see the big and the fast glass sooner rather than later.

Time (hopefully not too long) will tell.

Stephen
that's something I wonder about, all the research is done for nice 28-70,80-200, 85mm etc etc. Why don't they put them back into production (with or without sdm - how hard is it to add the motor?? I don't know but people would buy the lenses without them)

Phil
07-19-2007, 04:09 AM   #23
Veteran Member

The difference between the old FA lenses and the new DA Stars, is that the new lenses has a more telecentric optical design to overcome the problems with digital sensors compared to analogue film. The optical design is also constructed to minimise chromatic abberations. And the coating is updated for better performance on digital sensors.

So that's why Pentax didn't put the old FA's into production again, since they clearly would be undperforming against the likes of Canon L glass on digital sensors. The DA Star lenses are designed to give the utmost in optical performance on digital sensors.

Take care
R

07-19-2007, 05:22 AM   #24
Inactive Account

The interesting thing that i heard was that over 2007/08 there were going to be a significant amount of lens announcements and releases, they suggested that Pentax would make sony's announcement of 21 lenses look insignificant.
07-19-2007, 06:56 AM   #25

I am not so sure pentax would release more than 21 lenses over the next year. :|
07-19-2007, 07:21 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
The interesting thing that i heard was that over 2007/08 there were going to be a significant amount of lens announcements and releases, they suggested that Pentax would make sony's announcement of 21 lenses look insignificant.
I remember a statement from Mr K D Torigoe, chief executive of Pentax Imaging Business, that Pentax would love to make as many lenses as the 21 lenses that Sony announced they will release, and they were trying hard pushing lens development forward but they may not release as many as Sony, but not far from it. I have not seen a statement from Pentax about releasing more lenses than Sony, but it is clear that they hope to come close to Sony here.

Take care
R
07-19-2007, 08:01 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
The difference between the old FA lenses and the new DA Stars, is that the new lenses has a more telecentric optical design to overcome the problems with digital sensors compared to analogue film. The optical design is also constructed to minimise chromatic abberations. And the coating is updated for better performance on digital sensors.

So that's why Pentax didn't put the old FA's into production again, since they clearly would be undperforming against the likes of Canon L glass on digital sensors. The DA Star lenses are designed to give the utmost in optical performance on digital sensors.
It is hard to judge the optical quality of the DA* lenses since there are exactly zero DA* lenses available for purchase at present. My earlier point is that Pentax shouldn't keep announcing new products when they are unable to ship the products announced nearly a year ago. Promises of future products mean nothing when they can't deliver.

I agree that many lenses that perform well on film do not perform as well with digital sensors. I've noticed this with some of my film-era Pentax lenses. Based on what I've read, this is also the case with some of the current Canon L lenses that were designed before the era of digital SLR cameras. Canon itself has published comparison images showing improved performance with newer digital designs and coatings. So I think the "designed for digital" claim is more than just marketing hype. I just wish that Pentax could provide a reasonably broad range of lenses for their digital cameras.
07-19-2007, 01:33 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote

Take care
R
thanks Roland
07-19-2007, 01:37 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
21+ Lenses! Now that would be a surprise (well I suppose it wouldn't now cause you just told us and definately a Blitzkrieg. Heres hoping there is some good long glass in there! (and it isn't too long hitting the shelves)

Phil
07-19-2007, 11:17 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I really cannot believe that 21 new lenses would be released in a year or two. I cannot help wonder why? Maybe more new lenses with SDM or revamp all the existing lenses with improvement?