Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #46

Photos: Gallery
Ben

I was just kidding around. I enjoy and look forward to your posts as they are informative and entertaining.

And while your photography is a generally a bit risque for my tastes, it IS good work and I certainly respect the talent behind it.

PS

07-23-2007, 12:18 PM   #47
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
There is something in the air. The rumors are running high. Will there be a Pentax Fall Surprise? The indications seem to reflect that there may be. From some of the posts I have read from credible sources and my own info it seems to lean in that direction. I could be wrong but there could be a major lens and body Blitzkrieg...
I'm not surprised. I always expected Pentax to deliver that quasi-FullFrame(1.1 crop) plus IS lenses and the LiveView feature (Inside/Out/Both) with K mount compatibility. That's a great endeavour and it takes a little while. The K10D is part of a diversion smoke (good smoke by the way). Let the smoke dissipate. Be patient and you'll get the Heaven, I've heard somewhere.
Rui
07-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
I'm not surprised. I always expected Pentax to deliver that quasi-FullFrame(1.1 crop) plus IS lenses and the LiveView feature (Inside/Out/Both) with K mount compatibility. That's a great endeavour and it takes a little while. The K10D is part of a diversion smoke (good smoke by the way). Let the smoke dissipate. Be patient and you'll get the Heaven, I've heard somewhere.
Rui
If Pentax is about to release a body with 1.1x crop sensor, why are the lenses DA for the APS-C sized sensor then? Where are the lenses for the 1.1x crop, and why are Pentax going to have double lens systems, one for APS-C and one for 1.1x crop? Pentax are already having trouble getting the lenses out for APS-C... We don't need another lens serie for a new format, we need to have the lenses for APS-C that has been announced quite long ago.

Even if the DA serie covers more than APS-C size, in-body stabilisation in 1.1x crop sensor needs 35mm size of the lenses for it to work, the image circle in DA serie is too small for 1.1x sensor with in-body shake reduction.
(now you know why most of Sony's lenses are 35mm format and not APS-C, for in-body shake reduction with their coming 1.1x crop sensor).

Take care
R
07-23-2007, 07:35 PM   #49

If there is going to be a full frame camera from Pentax, how do we use new upcoming DA lenses and pancakes lenses on it?

07-24-2007, 02:23 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skamaraju Quote
If there is going to be a full frame camera from Pentax, how do we use new upcoming DA lenses and pancakes lenses on it?
Pentax already makes full frame cameras, for APS-C full frame.

Take care
R
07-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Pentax already makes full frame cameras, for APS-C full frame.

Take care
R
I think you meant full frame lenses for APS-C cameras. But one of the many attractions of Pentax system is Pancake lenses.
07-25-2007, 01:29 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No, Roland meant that Full frame is just stupid wording.

An APS-C lens is full frame when stitched to an APS-C sensor.

We should stop with this full frame non sense. We don't care about full frame. We only care about Mpix and low noise. If Pentax manage to do with APS-C the same queality as others with 35mm sensor, what the heck is the difference?
07-25-2007, 02:45 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes that's true, if we have 20mp at noise levels of the current 6mp then we'd be happy no matter what size the sensor.

07-25-2007, 03:46 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Could Be...

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Yes that's true, if we have 20mp at noise levels of the current 6mp then we'd be happy no matter what size the sensor.
For all intent and purpose we could be looking at 14-18 mega pixels..Who knows.
07-25-2007, 05:11 AM   #55
mph

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
No, Roland meant that Full frame is just stupid wording.
I agree with this sentiment. Who decided that 35mm is "full"? Why not 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, 4x5, or 8x10? Why not APS-H, APS-C, or good old 110? Photography has always had many film sizes, and it doesn't make sense to canonize one. We should just call 24x36mm sensors "135-size".

And it drives me crazy to hear "full-frame CCD" used in this fashion. The term "full-frame" already had another meaning in CCD technology: It refers to a CCD that's not frame-transfer or interline; that is, essentially the whole area of the CCD consists of active photosites. See, for example this product page.

Re-purposing "full-frame" to mean 135-size leads to confusion when you're discussing interline/frame-transfer/full-frame.

OK, morning rant concluded. Resume your normal speculations!
07-25-2007, 05:45 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mph Quote
I agree with this sentiment. Who decided that 35mm is "full"?
In their defense - most of us are using 135-format lenses, so it makes sense that we would want a sensor that takes advantage of the full image circle of such lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
I have an early surprise! Watch K10D prices tomorrow!
Hmmm...I watched them. I didn't notice anything.
07-25-2007, 06:05 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Hmmm...I watched them. I didn't notice anything.
Perhaps you didn't watch long enough
07-25-2007, 06:10 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
Perhaps you didn't watch long enough
As far as I can tell, Codiac's 'tomorrow' ended yesterday. Barring a time machine, I think it is impossible to watch them any longer.

Was something supposed to happen?
07-25-2007, 07:01 AM   #59
Inactive Account

I was quite serious. I want the info as well.
For all intent and purpose we could be looking at 14-18 mega pixels..Who knows.
Hi Ben (and everyone else!)

I agree that something is in the air, my contacts are being very evasive and tight lipped! But I don't think ANYTHING will be announced, leaked or otherwise, until the end of August. Even then I don't believe it will be anything qiute as earth shattering as some have predicted.

Bodies:
Personally, I think we may see a cheaper 10MP body, probably a dumbed down K10D, as it will be much easier to do that, than try to horseshoe in the 10MP sensor and electronics into the K100D body. They did that with the istD, hence the DS/DL series, if I was Pentax, that's precisely what I'd do. The heritage to a more upmarket camera would have more qudos, than being based based upon what is seen as an entry point model like the K100D (just as the D40x is related to the D40), this would give it a "marketing edge spin" over the D40x and also the 400Xti.

They then may announce a higher spec model based upon the K10D chassis, whether this will replace the K10D or be additional, I don't know, personally I suspect they would let both ride along with each other for a while and see how the market reacts, that way they can hopefully hold a higher price on the high spec body for a short time, i.e. nearer the D200, until the prices drop after a while and the K10D is then squeezed out.

That would make the competitive line-up be:
K100D Super v. D40
Dumb K10 v. D40x, Alpha, 400XTi etc.,
K10D v. D80
K10D Super (?, or K20D?) v. D200 & 30D replacement

I think that a "small body" higher spec camera (above the K100D) is not in this current years release plans. What the future holds is anyones guess, it may depend on how successful the Oly 410 & 510 bodies really become, or if Nikon & Canon push for more small hi-spec bodies. Pentax are traditionally reactive (but with added vitamins!).

Lenses:
I believe that we shall see an updated timeline for the remaining DA* and DA SDM lenses, with much more detailed specifications, just to keep us waiting with baited breath!

They may even add another one or two more lenses, maybe even a consumer "super zoom" to compete with offerings from Nikon, Tamron etc. That would be a popular package from a sales point of view. Maybe they could do a deal with Tamron (as they've done before) and have a Pentax bodied version of the 18-250, but with SDM and Quick-shift, that would be a popular and pretty unique package.

I think the challenges that they've had getting the production "quality with quantity" right for the new * (star) lenses from the new Vietnam production facility has been more difficult than they expected. Hopefully that is now behind them as they've announced the shipping dates from the factory for the first two. I do expect that the remaining lenses will be rolled out in pretty quick succession, once the facility has sorted themselves out.

Anything much more than this, I really do believe, is just "wishful thinking".
07-25-2007, 08:17 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Well, I do expect a sort of mix between k10D and K100D to be released.
Much of the electronics from the K10D, but with k100D's auto picture modes and other typical entry-level features. No weather-sealing. Hopefully pentaprism viewfinder and retained HyperProgram with two control dials. (but I fear it might be just one...).

As for lenses, I don't think that Pentax will work with Tamron again now that Tamron works so close with Sony, and Pentax already has a partner in crime... or in lens design: Tokina. I wonder what happened with that 17-135 design they were talking about last year. Perhaps re-designed together with Pentax? that would be something!

Personally, I want a DA 35 f/1.4 SDM and a DA 135 f/2.8 SDM ED. A DA Star 90 f/1.4 or f/2 SDM would perhaps be interresting to many. I believe a DA 16 f/2.8 would be welcomed by many who got the kit lens and want a good fast wideangle option, but can't afford the DA Star 16-50 f/2.8. Oh, and perhaps a a DA Star 16 f/2.to replace the FA Star 24 f/2.

Take care
R