Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2007, 09:39 AM   #61
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Well, I do expect a sort of mix between k10D and K100D to be released.
Much of the electronics from the K10D, but with k100D's auto picture modes and other typical entry-level features. No weather-sealing. Hopefully pentaprism viewfinder and retained HyperProgram with two control dials. (but I fear it might be just one...).

As for lenses, I don't think that Pentax will work with Tamron again now that Tamron works so close with Sony, and Pentax already has a partner in crime... or in lens design: Tokina. I wonder what happened with that 17-135 design they were talking about last year. Perhaps re-designed together with Pentax? that would be something!

Personally, I want a DA 35 f/1.4 SDM and a DA 135 f/2.8 SDM ED. A DA Star 90 f/1.4 or f/2 SDM would perhaps be interresting to many. I believe a DA 16 f/2.8 would be welcomed by many who got the kit lens and want a good fast wideangle option, but can't afford the DA Star 16-50 f/2.8. Oh, and perhaps a a DA Star 16 f/2.to replace the FA Star 24 f/2.

Take care
R
At least we agree on the body scenario!

I think that Pentax could easily come up with a 18-250. Although Tamron has some tie in with Sony (reputed to be that Sony has a 20% shareholding), they are able (and do) work with other makers. I actually believe that the Tamron teleconverters are made in the same place as the Kenko ones, as they look very similar (I have also seen a Tokina one that looked identical). I think that the small lens companies in Japan work closely together on common design solutions, Pentax have worked together with Cosina and Tamron in the past. the only one that seems to stay out of any co-operation is Sigma.

I wondered about the 17-135, I guessed that the DA 17-70 on the roadmap was probably derived from that concept, but maybe things have moved on again and two lenses have evolved from the initial concept, and that Pentax and Tokina may share a 18-250.

Who knows? But it's fun to speculate a bit!

While the prime lenses do seem to be interesting to many, I really am more interested in the tele zooms (60-250 and 55-300).

Even when I use primes, I don't share the frantic desire for all the ultra fast stuff, f2.0 is plenty fast enough for me as most of the lenses I've ever tried that are faster than f1.7 seem to be compromised and never match the quality of a cheaper less fast lens at around f2.8 to f5.6. The cost, size, and weight also becomes unrealistic. They have great "bragging" rights, but not for me.

Maybe the DA 55/1.4 will be affordable like the FA 50 f1.4, but somehow I expect it will be quite expensive, I also expect the DA 35 SDM will be an f2.0 design based on the existing FA 35.

It's possible that, in time, we may see a DA* 85 or 90 at between f1.4 to f2.0 and also a DA* 135 f2.0 to f2.8, but I expect that the DA* 50-135 will cover a lot of those areas. From what I've seen so far (I have seen some sample shots) it's going to surprise and please many people!

I agree that a fast wide angle would be great for interior work (but I think the DA 14 f2.8 is intended for that), but so would a replacement for the FA*24 at f2.0, it's a great focal length for general work and even as an FA* lens it wasn't that expensive new. A 16mm f2.0 would be a big lump of glass, expensive as well! I actually think there is more chance of a DA 24 or DA 28 f2.0 than any other WA in the next release road map.

I did use my FA* 24 a lot before I got my DA 16-45, but it has less use now, as indeed does my FA 35, as the performance of the DA 16-45 at 24 and 35mm for most general work, even at f4.0, is as good, if not better. It will be interesting to see how well the DA*16-50 f2.8 is finally regarded when the excitement has died down!

My main prime usage is with my FA 50 macro and FA*300, as they have very significant performance advantages over any zooms. I think the DA* 200 and DA* 300 lenses, if reasonably priced (around $1000) will be very popular.

07-25-2007, 12:32 PM   #62
Veteran Member

I use my FA 50 f/1.7 for indoor shots in available light, but I wouldn't mind a faster one. I wish to use as low ISO as possible . A 35 f/1.4 would be very tempting for me, but if it is a f/2 then I go for the DA 35 f/2.8 Macro Limited instead.

I'm very tempted by the DA Star 16-50 f/2.8, and the 50-135 f/2.8 would replace my FA 135 f/2.8, but my financial resources are quite limited at the moment. As for the price of the coming 200 and 300 DA Star's, I expects / hopes them to be priced lower than the FA Star versions. (and certainly lower than the 300 f/2.8 ). Oh well, one can always dream I guess .

Btw, I revisited Pentax PhotoLaboratory today and rediscovered why I trashed it the last time - I need a bigger monitor for the sofware to be useful. The toolwindows takes up so much space on my MacBook 13" that there is almost no room for the images!
I hope for an exciting PhotoLab 4 with those issues sorted out...
That is also important, not just lenses and bodies.

Oh, and we need weather sealed teleconverters with SDM to go with the new 50-135 f/2.8 and 200 f/2.8's. 1.4x and 2.0x.

Take care
R
07-26-2007, 01:27 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
I agree that a fast wide angle would be great for interior work (but I think the DA 14 f2.8 is intended for that), but so would a replacement for the FA*24 at f2.0, it's a great focal length for general work and even as an FA* lens it wasn't that expensive new. A 16mm f2.0 would be a big lump of glass, expensive as well! I actually think there is more chance of a DA 24 or DA 28 f2.0 than any other WA in the next release road map.
A DA16 limited is my ultimate wish! I kinda need it to complete my "limited" kit. Whereas I need the DA*16-50/2.8 and DA*50-135/2.8 for travel to dusty and wet places, I will always prefer primes to zooms. Currently the DA21 and the three FA limiteds make up my basic prime setup, with the Zenitar covering the wide angle. However, should Pentax come up with a DA16/4 limited I would be over the moon. At that focal length I really don't need it to be a fast lens, if its size fits in with the FA limiteds I'm happy. The DA14/2.8 is too big and too wide for me...

Now, what I really want Pentax to address it the use of teleconverters. Either by an in-body solution (FL multiplier to enable efficient use of SR with existing TCs) or by producing a set of SR friendly 1.4x and 2x teleconverters themselves, i.e. TCs that recalculate the FL communicated by the lens. After all, what's the point of having SR being able to compensate up to 800mm is no modern (currently available) combination can possibly register that focal length? But somehow I seem to be very alone with this requirement, as I hardly never see anyone else repeat it...

Wim
07-26-2007, 02:59 AM   #64
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
I use my FA 50 f/1.7 for indoor shots in available light, but I wouldn't mind a faster one. I wish to use as low ISO as possible . A 35 f/1.4 would be very tempting for me, but if it is a f/2 then I go for the DA 35 f/2.8 Macro Limited instead.

I'm very tempted by the DA Star 16-50 f/2.8, and the 50-135 f/2.8 would replace my FA 135 f/2.8, but my financial resources are quite limited at the moment. As for the price of the coming 200 and 300 DA Star's, I expects / hopes them to be priced lower than the FA Star versions. (and certainly lower than the 300 f/2.8 ). Oh well, one can always dream I guess .

Btw, I revisited Pentax PhotoLaboratory today and rediscovered why I trashed it the last time - I need a bigger monitor for the sofware to be useful. The toolwindows takes up so much space on my MacBook 13" that there is almost no room for the images!
I hope for an exciting PhotoLab 4 with those issues sorted out...
That is also important, not just lenses and bodies.

Oh, and we need weather sealed teleconverters with SDM to go with the new 50-135 f/2.8 and 200 f/2.8's. 1.4x and 2.0x.

Take care
R
The 35 macro would be fairly slow focussing compared to a DA 35/2.0. I find the 50 macro a bit short for serious macro work and use it with my Tamron 1.4 TC to make it more usable, you do need to get further away from the subject matter, a 35 mm macro would be very limiting in my opinion, in fact, I am looking for a clean FA 100 macro at the moment.

I'm not jumping for the 16-50 or the 50-135 as I am reserving expenditure for the 60-250, I just hope Pentax manage to make it live up to my expectations! I'm also interested in the cheaper 17-70 and 55-300 as a travel pair, if they are very close to the standard set by the DA 16-45. I think I would find a superzoom of 18-250 too much of a compromise IQ wise for my satisfaction, even though some of the shots I've seen from the Tamron 18-250 have been quite reasonable.

The other lens I'm seriously contemplating is the DA 10-17 FE. I had the Sigma 10-20 and found the perspective stretch distortion below 14mm unacceptable and actually prefer the fisheye distortion (with no perspective stretch).

Photolab has a few positives (good IQ and retention of Pentax maker note EXIF) and many vices. Far too many serious workflow and other issues, even if you have the screen real estate. I can match (actually improve the IQ) with the full SilkyPix converter, it also has issues, but less than PPB/PPL. I have no hopes for a much better software package from Pentax. In fact if you want a supremely fast browser with many, quite sophisticated, extra features, you can do no better than the free (donations accepted) new beta version of Faststone FastStone Image Viewer.

Try it you'll be amazed! It also has Raw conversion facilities which are very useful for "quick 'n dirty" conversions, but you can configure Fastone to open the images with your favourite converter or imaging software directly.

If you want something in the Power house category, then the latest (again beta) version of IDImager is the "mutts nuts". Go here for more info: IDimager :: View topic - IDimager V4 Beta release

WIth regard to TC's, they only need to have the power contacts for the SDM lenses to work, so the existing current Tamron and Kenko converters will work fine as they are "transparent" as far as the body is concerned. The only drawback is that the SR will not "multiply" the TC 'x' factor, Pentax could add this as a toggle to their firmware i.e. TC on/off with factor 1.4x, (1.5), 1.7, 2 or even 3x (Kenko have a Pro grade 3x converter, which would work okay with the 200mm f2.8). Of course none are weather resistant, but they don't have any major gaps to seal. Again Pentax could talk to Tokina (Kenko?) to make an arrangement.

07-26-2007, 03:14 AM   #65
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
A DA16 limited is my ultimate wish! I kinda need it to complete my "limited" kit. Whereas I need the DA*16-50/2.8 and DA*50-135/2.8 for travel to dusty and wet places, I will always prefer primes to zooms. Currently the DA21 and the three FA limiteds make up my basic prime setup, with the Zenitar covering the wide angle. However, should Pentax come up with a DA16/4 limited I would be over the moon. At that focal length I really don't need it to be a fast lens, if its size fits in with the FA limiteds I'm happy. The DA14/2.8 is too big and too wide for me...

Now, what I really want Pentax to address it the use of teleconverters. Either by an in-body solution (FL multiplier to enable efficient use of SR with existing TCs) or by producing a set of SR friendly 1.4x and 2x teleconverters themselves, i.e. TCs that recalculate the FL communicated by the lens. After all, what's the point of having SR being able to compensate up to 800mm is no modern (currently available) combination can possibly register that focal length? But somehow I seem to be very alone with this requirement, as I hardly never see anyone else repeat it...

Wim
Hiya Wim

A DA 16 at f4.0 would indeed be a possibility, but I suspect it may still be quite large, as it has to be a retro-focus (reverse telephoto) design. I'm sure that it is something Pentax have/are aware off.

I thought I would just love a "stack of pancakes" before I actually had the opportunity to go shooting with them. I then realised I really am a zoom man, I just hated the lens changing and the size was no real benefit, so just decided to stick with my existing primes, FA* 24, FA 35 and FA 50 macro, for 70mm I use my TC with the 50 macro, I find it's still better than the DA 70, plus I get a 70mm macro!

You're not alone with the TC requirements, even with existing current AF TC's it would be possible to have a manually set firmware TC "multiplier" toggle. The SDM will work fine if the TC has power contacts (like the Tamron 1.4x AF and the Kenko DG AF range).
07-26-2007, 05:08 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Hiya Wim
Hi Richard! How's things with all the water in Gloucester? Any better?

A DA 16 at f4.0 would indeed be a possibility, but I suspect it may still be quite large, as it has to be a retro-focus (reverse telephoto) design. I'm sure that it is something Pentax have/are aware off.
I'm hoping it will be on the next roadmap, but for now the Zenitar does nicely, though a rectilineair DA would see more use.

I thought I would just love a "stack of pancakes" before I actually had the opportunity to go shooting with them. I then realised I really am a zoom man, I just hated the lens changing and the size was no real benefit, so just decided to stick with my existing primes, FA* 24, FA 35 and FA 50 macro, for 70mm I use my TC with the 50 macro, I find it's still better than the DA 70, plus I get a 70mm macro!
It takes all kinds... I'm a prime man for sure... Just love those limiteds...

You're not alone with the TC requirements, even with existing current AF TC's it would be possible to have a manually set firmware TC "multiplier" toggle. The SDM will work fine if the TC has power contacts (like the Tamron 1.4x AF and the Kenko DG AF range).
That's exactly what I mean. Just a menu with settings None (default), 1.4x, 1.5x, 1.7x, 2x and 3x. Though I'm not sure all these exist in a version that passed the FL info from the lens to the body. The F1.7x AF Converter doesn't, so perhaps 1.7x shouldn't be in there for starters.
I honesty don't understand why they didn't include it yet. Probably because the only TCs on the market are third party and Pentax sees these as products that cannibalize tele lens sales. Question is which tele lenses?

Wim
07-28-2007, 05:05 AM   #67

hope so, specially a k20d
but pentax, lower weight please

07-28-2007, 06:44 AM   #68
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Hi Richard! How's things with all the water in Gloucester? Any better?

I'm hoping it will be on the next roadmap, but for now the Zenitar does nicely, though a rectilineair DA would see more use.

It takes all kinds... I'm a prime man for sure... Just love those limiteds...

That's exactly what I mean. Just a menu with settings None (default), 1.4x, 1.5x, 1.7x, 2x and 3x. Though I'm not sure all these exist in a version that passed the FL info from the lens to the body. The F1.7x AF Converter doesn't, so perhaps 1.7x shouldn't be in there for starters.
I honesty don't understand why they didn't include it yet. Probably because the only TCs on the market are third party and Pentax sees these as products that cannibalize tele lens sales. Question is which tele lenses?

Wim
Hiya Wim

Still without mains water, we may get "grey" (non drinkable) supplies by mid next week. It has affected 350,000 people in our area, but the emergency services are bringing in plentyful suppies of drinking water. We are visiting family away from here tomorrow with our washing and looking forward to a hot shower! It's also our Ruby (40th) wedding anniversary. It's been a pretty dreadful summer weatherwise so far, apparently it's been the wettest May to July period for 340 years.

I only know of one additional lens that may be coming soon and that's not a prime. Pentax are exhibiting at the Berlin IFA fair, Aug 31 - Sep 5 IFA Internationale Funkausstellung, here are their details IFA Virtual Market Place - Pentax Europe GmbH so I expect announcements about any new products will be made by then.

I do enjoy prime quality, but the quality zooms that already exist (10-17, 12-24 and 16-45) are pretty decent and can equal prime quality in many instances, so I find I'm using my "normal" range primes (24, 35 and 50) less these days. I tried the pancakes for a few weeks, but I just didn't get comfortable with them, although I really "wanted" to like them. Oh well, each to their own.

I agree with you about the converters, maybe just 1.4/5x, 2x & even 3x would be sufficient. I don't think that Pentax are really that paranoid about third party items, if they are of resonable quality, I'm sure they would be perfectly happy to work something out with Tamron or Kenko with badged versions. We may be surprised yet!

Last edited by Richard Day; 07-28-2007 at 06:49 AM. Reason: added link
07-30-2007, 04:50 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Hiya Wim

Still without mains water, we may get "grey" (non drinkable) supplies by mid next week. It has affected 350,000 people in our area, but the emergency services are bringing in plentyful suppies of drinking water. We are visiting family away from here tomorrow with our washing and looking forward to a hot shower! It's also our Ruby (40th) wedding anniversary. It's been a pretty dreadful summer weatherwise so far, apparently it's been the wettest May to July period for 340 years.
Let's hope August will compensate! Good to hear you're coping all right!

I only know of one additional lens that may be coming soon and that's not a prime. Pentax are exhibiting at the Berlin IFA fair, Aug 31 - Sep 5 IFA Internationale Funkausstellung, here are their details IFA Virtual Market Place - Pentax Europe GmbH so I expect announcements about any new products will be made by then.
I expect it will be an ultrazoom the likes of 18-200? I guess that's the commercially most rational zoom that's still missing from the setup?

I do enjoy prime quality, but the quality zooms that already exist (10-17, 12-24 and 16-45) are pretty decent and can equal prime quality in many instances, so I find I'm using my "normal" range primes (24, 35 and 50) less these days. I tried the pancakes for a few weeks, but I just didn't get comfortable with them, although I really "wanted" to like them. Oh well, each to their own.
It's not just image quality for me. Primes just make me think more about composition. But, perhaps the difference will not be as great now as it was 2 years ago, and the compositional thinking will come more automatically with zooms too now? We'll see what results I get in SE-Asia with the DA*s (I "need" them there for the weather sealing) if I get them by then...

I agree with you about the converters, maybe just 1.4/5x, 2x & even 3x would be sufficient. I don't think that Pentax are really that paranoid about third party items, if they are of resonable quality, I'm sure they would be perfectly happy to work something out with Tamron or Kenko with badged versions. We may be surprised yet!
I'm ready to be surprised! Anyway, the Tamron 1.4x having powerzoom contacts will bridge the wait for me...

All the best!

Wim
08-01-2007, 06:12 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Richard, Hope life turns back to normal soon. Heard Phil Ligget and Paul Sherwin talking about your weather during Tour De France coverage. That is a lot of water!
I am interested in teleconverters that work with SR. Seems easy to fix. Wish Pentax brings out some new converters. Have had a hard time finding converters that work with the Pentax A400. They don't seem to handle the f 5.6 max aperture right. Have the Kenko 1.5, and have tried Phoenix, Tokina 2x (same converter). All allow my 5.6 lens to be set to f 2.8! If only it were so. Converters work fine with all other lenses. Bought a used Promaster 1.7 converter (looks just like Kenko 1.5 converter) and it works with 5.6 lens. Will try to decide why its different. Glad I bought it. Pentax had better fixe this if they release the Kenko/Tokinas under their name.
thanks
barondla
still want a macro in the 180-200 range.
08-05-2007, 02:59 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Curious

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
I'm not surprised. I always expected Pentax to deliver that quasi-FullFrame(1.1 crop) plus IS lenses and the LiveView feature (Inside/Out/Both) with K mount compatibility. That's a great endeavour and it takes a little while. The K10D is part of a diversion smoke (good smoke by the way). Let the smoke dissipate. Be patient and you'll get the Heaven, I've heard somewhere.
Rui

Just curious Rui, do you have a connection with a higher force that I haven't heard about?
08-05-2007, 10:04 PM   #72
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Still no update on the subject, Mr Benjikan?
08-06-2007, 05:17 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Hmmmm...

Is the surprise that there will be no new lens releases this year despite the roadmap?
08-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #74
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
Is the surprise that there will be no new lens releases this year despite the roadmap?
That isnt confirmed yet! They're still coming out in september as planned!

If we all say it enough times, it will come true...

Benjikan: that rumour comes from a european source... have you heard anything through the grapevine about the status of the upcoming lenses?
08-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #75
Inactive Account

You know how Pentax could really pleasantly surprise me this Fall? Release the darn 60-250 DA* lens for the K10D ! Thats the only surprise I want to see.