Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2010, 02:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reviewer Quote
"So I don’t read the manual at first because I want to know how easy the product is to use, and how intuitive the controls and navigation are. Would anyone actually read the 300 page manual? Not unless she’s stuck on a dessert island with nothing else to do."
With or without a 300-page manual, who wouldn't want to be stuck on a dessert island?

03-31-2010, 02:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
so the reviewer set the camera up to fail? even without reading the manual? I couldnt imagine it comes setup like that from the factory. my K-7 certainly wasnt.
Who knows where the camera was before she got it? I left a message recommending she reset everything to defaults and P-mode and try again.
03-31-2010, 02:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

You folks keep saying "she."

The author is a "he."
03-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
You folks keep saying "she."

The author is a "he."
"Kim Brebach is a marketing professional whose experience spans over 3 decades in the IT industry. His interests include photography, cool technology, great music, theatre and books, wine and food, tennis and chess. You can find his photo blog at Get the Picture."

03-31-2010, 02:28 PM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I have been blown away with how good the K-x is at ISO 1600. I would really have to try in order to take an ISO 1600 photo that looked as bad as the one shown in this review. I'm at a loss to know what is going on there. I'm wondering whether that is a shadow from an ISO 1600 photo that she lightened up about 3 stops.
That's the whole thing--and which is why my first post there said what it did:

I STINK as a photographer compared to you guys, but even from day one of owning this camera, I haven't gotten anything CLOSE to that bad as far as noise goes.
03-31-2010, 02:31 PM   #21
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
"Kim Brebach is a marketing professional whose experience spans over 3 decades in the IT industry. His interests include photography, cool technology, great music, theatre and books, wine and food, tennis and chess. You can find his photo blog at Get the Picture."
Kim is a he?

I don't necessarily know if we can be sure of that based on the bio:

If you read the entire review again, he/she keeps using the pronoun "she" as opposed to "he," which is an indication that's a woman.
03-31-2010, 02:40 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Kim is a "he" alright.

I wandered into his blog and saw this where he explained "aperture":

"There’s logic in this because at f/1.0 we capture 100% of available light, and from there we ‘stop down’ or reduce the lens openening. The Nikkor above starts at f1.8 and stops down to f/22...."

So at f/0.95, we capture 110% of available light?

03-31-2010, 02:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Kim is a he?

I don't necessarily know if we can be sure of that based on the bio:

If you read the entire review again, he/she keeps using the pronoun "she" as opposed to "he," which is an indication that's a woman.
He does say "Would anyone actually read the 300 page manual? Not unless she’s stuck on a dessert island with nothing else to do."

Coupled with the name Kim, it's no wonder we're confused.
03-31-2010, 02:50 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scatron Quote
With or without a 300-page manual, who wouldn't want to be stuck on a dessert island?
I wonder if it has a giant cherry on top?
03-31-2010, 02:52 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Kim is a "he" alright.

I wandered into his blog and saw this where he explained "aperture":

"There’s logic in this because at f/1.0 we capture 100% of available light, and from there we ‘stop down’ or reduce the lens openening. The Nikkor above starts at f1.8 and stops down to f/22...."

This guy embodies the statement about knowing just enough to be dangerous. If he'd left the camera in Green mode he would do a hell of a lot better. Instead he sabotages the camera with his misuse of the controls, then craps all over the lens for his incompetence. A faulty lens won't create noise like that.
03-31-2010, 02:56 PM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
He does say "Would anyone actually read the 300 page manual? Not unless she’s stuck on a dessert island with nothing else to do."

Coupled with the name Kim, it's no wonder we're confused.
I thought it was a female as well. im still not sure I believe the bio. but man or woman, this person has no right to be doing reviews. why does every "tech geek" with too much money think they have a right to do these reviews? even worse, I guess is that people who dont know any better (a lot like the reviewer) will believe the crap being said.
03-31-2010, 03:12 PM   #27
Ira
Inactive Account

Can you teach me how to capture 110% of available light?

Or do I have to buy a flashlight to do that?
03-31-2010, 03:15 PM   #28
Veteran Member

re: the negative review

I read the review, as I'm sure you all did. I'm no photography expert, but he (yes, "Kim" is a he) makes me look like one. One sure fire example of a reason to take this review with a grain of salt, is that he would only read the manual if stuck on a "dessert" island. I think that might be one of the few times I would NOT read the manual - I'd be busy eating all the goodies! (Sorry, I'm an English prof. - that stuff stands out to me)
03-31-2010, 03:20 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I do feel obligated to mention that most status displays inside viewfinders of cameras I've used (k20D, 40D, E-330) weren't particularly easy to read with bright light coming through the finder either.
The K20D has status displays? I never see them. That may explain a few things :-) (But, I wear glasses, and usually sunglasses over them outside, so I can barely get my eye up there, anyway...)

And yeah, that review was stupid.
03-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Can you teach me how to capture 110% of available light?
I'm still trying to figure that out. Once I do, I'll be a billionaire.