Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2010, 09:01 AM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess I had originally thought that he deliberately took poor photos, but I guess from the arguments on what should be very basic photography points on his blog, I have come to the conclusion that he is just generally clueless. The problem is that he believes that he knows what he is talking about and so he comes across as authoritative, even though he is ignorant.

If ignorance were bliss, twere folly to be wise...

04-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The problem is that he believes that he knows what he is talking about and so he comes across as authoritative, even though he is ignorant.
I'll stay away from commenting on his blog, I have a tendency to lose all temper if I start arguing with people that are acting as if they were authorities on a field where they so obviously are clueless (and that's why I don't like working in large companies, where the clueless tend to be promoted to their level of incompetence ).
04-15-2010, 12:46 AM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I'll stay away from commenting on his blog, I have a tendency to lose all temper if I start arguing with people that are acting as if they were authorities on a field where they so obviously are clueless (and that's why I don't like working in large companies, where the clueless tend to be promoted to their level of incompetence ).
Well, and what's the point of arguing with someone who has already made their decision on something before they even read anything about it?
04-15-2010, 04:19 AM   #124
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I think this one's dead now. He's stopped responding to the blog posts. This will just fade away....

04-15-2010, 09:12 AM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I think this one's dead now. He's stopped responding to the blog posts. This will just fade away....
Not so fast. The DPS review was high on Google results for blog searches. Thankfully the link is dead.

But, Kim's blog also shows up on the second page of results. Who know how many people will stumble upon it in their searches. That's why it's important that people challenge his assertions. But it's also important that the conversation not get out of hand, as that will only help pull the blog higher up on Google, as it has already done.

BTW, congrats Peter on being the first blog result!
04-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Not so fast. The DPS review was high on Google results for blog searches. Thankfully the link is dead.

But, Kim's blog also shows up on the second page of results. Who know how many people will stumble upon it in their searches. That's why it's important that people challenge his assertions. But it's also important that the conversation not get out of hand, as that will only help pull the blog higher up on Google, as it has already done.

BTW, congrats Peter on being the first blog result!
Not so - it all depends on the datacentre you're hooked into. On mine, for example, Kim's blog is #24, which accounts for almost no traffic. Google once showed me a chart when I was working with them, the first 3 on the first page are really the ones that matter significantly. Sure you get traffic at lower SERPs but the top 3 are the sexy ones
04-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #127
Veteran Member

[We're drifting off-topic here a bit, but I wanted to spend some time explaining the impact that reviews like this one - and the associated comments - have on Google search results. This is part of what I do for a living so I thought that I'd share]

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Not so - it all depends on the datacentre you're hooked into. On mine, for example, Kim's blog is #24, which accounts for almost no traffic. Google once showed me a chart when I was working with them, the first 3 on the first page are really the ones that matter significantly. Sure you get traffic at lower SERPs but the top 3 are the sexy ones
Nass, I'd always thought that the datacentre thing was just latency due to the technology and the volume of data. As such, I don't see a reason why Google would want different results from different data centres, as they use other techniques to localize searches and related ads. If you know otherwise, please share.

The top 3 are of course the sexy ones, but results below that do get clicked. And there are people typing in different search terms and getting different results. If over the course of the year a couple of thousand people stumble into the review and are turned away from Pentax because of it, is that ok?

Try this - do a Google search on "Pentax K-x review Canon Nikon". This is the kind of search that someone looking for a K-x but also considering Canon and Nikon alternatives might perform.

Here are the results.

As you can see, the DPS reviews figure prominently at the top and on the first page. This is due in part to something very simple - the title of the review includes Pentax, Nikon, and Canon. So for those who thought that the review was poorly executed, take some solace that the firestorm you generated caused the review to be removed from the site. Now fewer people will be unduly influenced by it.

But wait, there's more!

If you look further, you'll also note that the very same review still lives - on other sites!

My Digital Photography

DPS' page on Facebook

The Facebook version is particularly interesting. DPS has nearly 14,000 fans on Facebook that potentially got exposed to the review. And if you look at the four comments, you can see that the review may have swayed potential K-x purchasers away.

The bottom line, in this internet age it's extremely difficult to maintain control of all the moving parts of marketing, but every once in a while your own voice, combined with the voices of others, can make a change.

04-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #128
Veteran Member

Likewise, apologies for the offtopic drift

Part of what I do for a living too - yes it's localisation, and personalised results, and datacentre fluctuations, and heck even the # bidding in the yellow spot that day in adwords . but still, for me that particular result you mentioned was only 24th, and as it's been 404d it'll drop off anyway. Totally agreed, impossible to control marketing nowadays and yes, those results arn't going to help. Kind of surprised that there's no PF SERP high up on k-x searches I can find actually.

Can I suggest we take it to PMs beyond this, I'm sure folk don't want to hear our geeky SEOspeak
04-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'll be doing a head to head test between the 2 bodies on the weekend as part of my review. We'll see what a 2009 camera can do against a 2006 camera.
It would be great if you take the opportunity and post this test in his blog. He is offering people to write for his blog as a peace offer
04-16-2010, 07:37 AM   #130
Veteran Member

Better idea

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
It would be great if you take the opportunity and post this test in his blog. He is offering people to write for his blog as a peace offer
I don't know if he used the words "peace offering" but peace is not the goal here. Fair, knowledgeable thinking and writing are the order of the day.

It's not about the firestorm. It's not about him - although way too many posters couldn't figure that out.

It's about the review.

Perhaps it would be better if he apologized for a rushed review that wasn't complete. (Please note tact.)

Then he and DPS can remove all copies of the review. And we're done.

I really don't want to write a piece for his blog. I just want him do the honorable thing.
04-16-2010, 07:44 AM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess I had originally thought that he deliberately took poor photos, but I guess from the arguments on what should be very basic photography points on his blog, I have come to the conclusion that he is just generally clueless. The problem is that he believes that he knows what he is talking about and so he comes across as authoritative, even though he is ignorant.

If ignorance were bliss, twere folly to be wise...
There are too many of these out there... that I start calling them camera owners not photographers.
04-16-2010, 07:47 AM   #132
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The larger question here really is about the journalistic democracy that has come from the internet. Anyone, anywhere can put up a web page and a blog, and post what appears to many to be a professional review. I see it more commonly as a problem with respect to local businesses, where there is no army of fact-checkers to chime in.
04-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #133
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

glanglois, I agree and I'm not posting the link to his blog. It will just give him traffic I don't want him to have.
04-22-2010, 06:14 AM   #134
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Kim has posted a revised review with the new gear he received.

Pentax K-x ? taking shots at Nikon and Canon

IQ is much improved. Seems like he figured out exposure compensation. Amazing what you can do when you use a camera for a few days, instead of just picking it up and attempting to figure it all out for a review.
04-22-2010, 06:43 AM   #135
Veteran Member

Well, that's good that he didn't give up and was able to do an objective review after all that arguing. Still wonder if he'll learn why the camera was "underexposing" and if he care about clipping highlights.