Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ixian Quote
I'm not sure if anything longer than 200mm is that exotic... And if Pentax is trying to look like an "outdoor" brand, something for wildlife photogs would be quite in line with that. Ultra wide weathersealed lens for landscapes would fit in here as well.

And I really don't think that people looking to buy into DSLR system these days care about classical lens lineups... Less choice will always make the systems less atractive to potential buyers.
Not sure about that last sentence. People are often informed a DSLR is buying into a "lens system" so they like to know there is room for growth and flexibility.

I find it hard to believe that Pentax is trying to be a n"outdoor brand". There was the comparison to Subaru banter some time back. Then the K-x came out all colourful and that appears to be the new trend for sales growth.

04-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
All this discussion makes us look like spoiled brats, some of the greatest photojournalist of all time made their series with just a Leica and 2 lenses...
Well, that is certainly true: we are spoiled. At the same time expectations are so much higher and so many more people are trying to do so much more with their cameras.

T/S, Supertele, Ultrafast etc... are highly specialized lenses that are relevant mostly for professionnals and produced in small batches for a high price tag (even for the big players)
Agreed. But I would dearly love to see a tilt/shift lens. Because it adds new photographic possibilities that merely "filling in" a missing focal length or making a zoom one stop faster does not.

This maybe just me but 645D 85/1.4, 40 T/S, 400/2.8 (+TC), 200/4 Macro etc... would make much more sense.
You want 85/1.4 on 645D? Besides being completely improbable, your DOF would be a cat's whisker.

QuoteOriginally posted by ixian Quote
And if Pentax is trying to look like an "outdoor" brand, something for wildlife photogs would be quite in line with that.
Pentax is doing what now?
04-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #63

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
All this discussion makes us look like spoiled brats, some of the greatest photojournalist of all time made their series with just a Leica and 2 lenses...
Well, that is certainly true: we are spoiled. At the same time expectations are so much higher and so many more people are trying to do so much more with their cameras.
i don't buy it. i wasn't around when great photojournalists were shooting with a lieca and 2 lenses but i know that if i was i wouldn't be able to afford one just like i can't afford one now.

so if the average joe like me wanted to be creative in the field of photography his options would be limited.
however, now with affordable DSLR's and lenses, cheap computing power and cheap software many people can be creative in many different ways and that's a good thing. so the more options are available to people the more creativity it will spawn

Agreed. But I would dearly love to see a tilt/shift lens. Because it adds new photographic possibilities that merely "filling in" a missing focal length or making a zoom one stop faster does not.
i agree that a TS (or other "specialty") lenses would be great to have because, once again, they would allow more people to be creative.
(yes, i know that you can simulate TS effects in software but i have yet to see it done in a seamless "easy button" way... although i believe software will get there before affordable glass does...)

Pentax is doing what now?
pentax has affordable WR lenses and they should make more of them!
04-15-2010, 12:46 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Yeah, where is this Pentax is now an outdoor brand stuff coming from? I saw a single ad about a Pentax camera and a kayak, that's about it. Olympus is the brand that really prides itself on their cameras being able to go anywhere like safaris and that kind of stuff, and they have the tough series camera which they pride as being the best outdoor camera there is.

04-15-2010, 07:22 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Yeah, where is this Pentax is now an outdoor brand stuff coming from? I saw a single ad about a Pentax camera and a kayak, that's about it. Olympus is the brand that really prides itself on their cameras being able to go anywhere like safaris and that kind of stuff, and they have the tough series camera which they pride as being the best outdoor camera there is.
Are you trying to troll ? Pentax being an outdoor brand dates back to the Pentax K10D. On latest, they highlighted that the choices made on the 645D (no detachable back, weathersealing) were made for outdoor use.

The few Pentax ads that I have around are highlighting that it can live in tough environment.
04-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Pentax being an tough outdoor brand is why I bought my K200d. I like to have an SLR with me when I go hunting and fishing and as such, need weather-sealing.

I still have to get that 16-50 to replace the kit lens though...
04-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Pentax has a brand identity?

Successful branding is closely associated with marketing of one sort or another.

What percentage of Pentax advertising and other promotional activity clearly indicates that Pentax has a special interest in the outdoor photographer? Making sealed cameras and WR lenses is necessary but hardly sufficient. But if the prospective customer base doesn't automatically associate outdoors with Pentax, no brand identity exists.

I've seen the soccer mom advert, the "Passion" advert, but I don't immediately recall an outdoor, all-weather advert. Like soccer mom shooting kids playing in the spray from the landmark waterfall. Or on the Maid of the Mist XX at Niagra Falls.

Did I miss something or have I delayed my afternoon caffeine too long?
04-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Successful branding is closely associated with marketing of one sort or another.

What percentage of Pentax advertising and other promotional activity clearly indicates that Pentax has a special interest in the outdoor photographer? Making sealed cameras and WR lenses is necessary but hardly sufficient.
This is what my somewhat cryptic message above meant. I don't see Pentax doing any significant promotion, so saying they are promoting to a specific market is science-fictional. Actually, if anything, they are promoting to soccer moms and cool urban youth, with their multitudes of colours that match your handbags and pumps.

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Or on the Maid of the Mist XX at Niagra Falls.
I took my Pentax on that trip. And without a WR lens. Gasp! Shock! I didn't see anyone else with an SLR on the trip under the raging falls. But that's likely because no-one else has heard of Pentax. :-)

into the whirlpool

04-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Are you trying to troll ? Pentax being an outdoor brand dates back to the Pentax K10D. On latest, they highlighted that the choices made on the 645D (no detachable back, weathersealing) were made for outdoor use.

The few Pentax ads that I have around are highlighting that it can live in tough environment.
You would know if I was trying to troll, however I am not right now.

No, Olympus prides itself on having cameras that are tough and that can go anywhere and be small enough to travel with and withstand the elements.

That's not Pentax as I've ever heard it. Even though they're the only brand with most level cameras being water resistant, they don't even claim as much resistance as their cameras are capable of, in fact they're always giving out disclaimers about how not to get your K10D too wet and make sure you dry it off regularly. Pentax's motto has always been "Be Different" as a way to stand out from Canon and Nikon along with all the other big brands. There's nothing in there about having tough cameras.
04-17-2010, 01:54 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Mmm really ? We understand things differentely I guess.
04-17-2010, 04:05 AM   #71
Veteran Member

new lenses.

Today i bought a pentax bag and new strap (wide one).

The pentax retailer here in malta said there is already da 400mm sdm but not wr. i ask him if have brochure and he did not have one. bust just sold two of them yesterday. Now looking for this official pentax store i stumble some disturbing lenses.
especially the german store. Also the retailer said there would be a 600mm prime and the 645d will be available in EU quoted as 11000 EU SRP

Pentax Uk i found an error or typo 55-300 mm sdm, wr

Pentax germany = 85-450mm (Digital) (disguise as 55-300mm)? and 120-375 mm (Digital) (disguise as 60-250mm)?
note that its digital not in 35 mm equivalent. a lot of errors with lenses.
Here's the link below for your comments. (weird conversions)
Pentax Europe Online Store - Lenses
04-17-2010, 06:25 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
Today i bought a pentax bag and new strap (wide one).

The pentax retailer here in malta said there is already da 400mm sdm but not wr.

There is no DA 400mm lens....
04-17-2010, 08:09 AM   #73
Pentaxian

what I would really like to see are a few more FA limiteds... longer and shorter than the ones we currently have.
04-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #74

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
what I would really like to see are a few more FA limiteds... longer and shorter than the ones we currently have.
unless you are shooting film there is no reason take an FA over DA, all other things being equal

the only thing current FA's have over DA's is that for a similar focal length they tend to be faster. at the same time, pentax doesn't seem interested in making very fast glass (DA or FA or whatever label is on it). this makes sense since it's cheaper to produce a higher sensitivity sensor that does well in low light than it is to make fast glass. also, you can still get f1.2 and f1.4 MF lenses if you really want that razor-thin DOF.
04-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pb_red Quote
unless you are shooting film there is no reason take an FA over DA, all other things being equal
But as you go on to say, all else is not equal. The FA lenses are faster, which is critical. And some like to use the aperture ring even when it is not necessary.

I suppose if the DAs were faster the craving for the FA Limiteds would be much less. After all, they too render nicely and are built well.