Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #76
Veteran Member

A nice wide DA* F2 prime would be nice... Even samsung have one! For the NX 10..

04-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pb_red Quote
unless you are shooting film there is no reason take an FA over DA, all other things being equal

the only thing current FA's have over DA's is that for a similar focal length they tend to be faster. at the same time, pentax doesn't seem interested in making very fast glass (DA or FA or whatever label is on it). this makes sense since it's cheaper to produce a higher sensitivity sensor that does well in low light than it is to make fast glass. also, you can still get f1.2 and f1.4 MF lenses if you really want that razor-thin DOF.

shallow DOF isn't the only reason I like the FA limiteds, I use a SMCP 50mm f/1.2 mostly for portrait work...but it's the autofocus and their aperture rings that I like..not to mention the "feel" of these lenses when used on a pentax Lx or other film camera...in the studio they enable you to work intuitively with your flash exposure a few clicks of the apeture and you can change exposure without fiddling around with dials. That is why I wish Pentax would make more of them....the DA limited lenses are good, but the FA limiteds are the legends amongst us. what I would like to see are two lenses wider than the FA31mm f/1.8 with apertures at f/2 or faster and one longer FA limited say about 120mm, fully apochromatic; with close focus capabilities about 1:4 magnification should be close enough with an aperture of f/2

I would also like to see an FA 21 Limited(give zeiss something to sweat about pentax!) with an f/1.8 aperture, and a 16mm f/2 rectilinear wide angle.
04-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #78

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
shallow DOF isn't the only reason I like the FA limiteds, I use a SMCP 50mm f/1.2 mostly for portrait work...but it's the autofocus and their aperture rings that I like..not to mention the "feel" of these lenses when used on a pentax Lx or other film camera...in the studio they enable you to work intuitively with your flash exposure a few clicks of the apeture and you can change exposure without fiddling around with dials. That is why I wish Pentax would make more of them....the DA limited lenses are good, but the FA limiteds are the legends amongst us. what I would like to see are two lenses wider than the FA31mm f/1.8 with apertures at f/2 or faster and one longer FA limited say about 120mm, fully apochromatic; with close focus capabilities about 1:4 magnification should be close enough with an aperture of f/2

I would also like to see an FA 21 Limited(give zeiss something to sweat about pentax!) with an f/1.8 aperture, and a 16mm f/2 rectilinear wide angle.
wow, those are some requirements for very specific glass. and by specific i mean expensive (how could it possibly not be, right?)

i'd rather see pentax produce more affordable lenses with compelling features (like an affordable 50mm f1.8) and leave specialty glass to the likes of zeiss but that's just me. then again, i associate pentax with a good bang for the buck...

in any case, i hear you and it would be great if there was something for both of us
04-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know what I would like to see from pentax, and since canikonolupusigma are focusing on zooms(pun not intended) I think pentax would stand to gain a great deal by producing High quality primes. for instance the Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II is still pretty soft in the corners image quality wise, and it's still a pretty big lens. however, 16mm f/2 prime should be manageable and relatively compact, providing they use aspheric and ED glass where appropriate.

I get sick of companies announcing yet another f/2.8 zoom and which ever companies is releasing the lens the appropriate forum on Dpreview collectively wets itself, believing this new lens is going to rain down wonders on them*

I would also thoroughly enjoy it if Pentax came out with a FA 50mm f/1.2 Limited Lens design utilising modern aspheric and ED glass elements in it...that will certainly turn some heads.

But as you said -expensive...but the FA limited series lenses aren't known for their low price...they are the ne plus ultra (go no further) of modern auto-focus lens designs...and the price follows suit.

(*i'm a bitter almond, I am)

04-19-2010, 11:26 PM   #80
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New classical LIMITED (WR)
04-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #81

Photos: Albums
I'll chime in in favor of a fast normal. IMO it was a sad thing when they cancelled production of the 35/2.0, because that was a sharp, fast, small, inexpensive lens. Now, the only options in the range are slow or the super expensive FA31. Tried the 43, but it is just too long, and it is pretty soft wide open.

I'd love to see the 35/2.0 and 50/1.4 remade as DA primes. Anything wider than 35 would be welcome too if it was faster than 2.8.

Also, an 85/1.4 and/or a 135/1.8 would be way cool. The 77/1.8 is close to the first, but we've got nothing like the second.

Really, I just want stuff faster than 2.8. The DA Limiteds don't cut the mustard for the low light stuff I do, but I don't necessarily need something at the level of the FA series.
04-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

how about a 90mm f/1.2 that would be 135mm f/1.8 DOF equivalent on APS-C 135mm lenses were my favourite lenses on film.

that would be a sweet lens.

04-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
how about a 90mm f/1.2 that would be 135mm f/1.8 DOF equivalent on APS-C 135mm lenses were my favourite lenses on film.

that would be a sweet lens.
Yep, a huge and very expensive one as well but I agree it would be sweeeeet
04-21-2010, 03:22 AM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eigengrau Quote
I'lIMO it was a sad thing when they cancelled production of the 35/2.0, because that was a sharp, fast, small, inexpensive lens.
Did they? I thought the rumors of its death were exaggerated? It got very expensive and seems to not be available in all markets anymore, but I don't think they cancelled production.
04-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Did they? I thought the rumors of its death were exaggerated? It got very expensive and seems to not be available in all markets anymore, but I don't think they cancelled production.
I sure can't find it anywhere. I'm not sure if there's an official announcement somewhere that confirms it, but I seem to remember weeping and gnashing of teeth about it a while back.

Anyways, I've got one perfect copy, and I'm glad I do.
04-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eigengrau Quote
I sure can't find it anywhere.
You can get it in Japan, at least yodobashi.com seems to have it available.
04-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #87
Veteran Member

85mm Limited f1.2 would be an awesome lens for Pentax to make.

Does anyone know if the current mount allows apertures that wide? I've heard that one of the reasons Nikon doesn't have a 50mm f1.2 is because of the mount and I was wondering if that's the same thing with Pentax.
04-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
New classical LIMITED (WR)
It looks like that
04-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
85mm Limited f1.2 would be an awesome lens for Pentax to make.

Does anyone know if the current mount allows apertures that wide? I've heard that one of the reasons Nikon doesn't have a 50mm f1.2 is because of the mount and I was wondering if that's the same thing with Pentax.
Sorry,not possible.
Max is 1,2/50
1,4/85
1,8/135
same like Nikon.
04-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
Sorry,not possible.
Max is 1,2/50
1,4/85
1,8/135
same like Nikon.

Thanks for the info. Now I can quite wondering. A 85mm f/1.4 limited would be perfectly acceptable as well.