Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #46
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
WILL DA*28/2 and DA135/2/8 LIMITED SATISFY YOU?
Are you suggesting you know something we don't - or is this once more just guessing?

04-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Are those rhetorical questions? We already know the answers: yes and yes
04-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Oh! The 135mm prime range is something that I would love done for digital. Well at least as long as I can afford it, something tells me that if Pentax does make a lens like that, that it will be in the formula of a star series lens.
04-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
JUST FOUND THIS.... Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM (Pentax AF) - Park Cameras Online
CAN'T WAIT....

04-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #50
Veteran Member

That 85mm wasn't just released was it? I remember that coming out a few months ago. I suppose it could have taken that long for Pentax to pick up the mount though.
04-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #51
Veteran Member

YEAH, ABOUT TWO MONTHS AGO... Hope itll have an impact on the FA*85 crazy prise...
04-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #52
Veteran Member

History speaks

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
The "classical" lens lineup was the following:
- 28 (24 is quite a modern focal lens)
I must be a classical kind of guy. Looks just like my M42 lineup from 1969!

04-12-2010, 01:15 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I must be a classical kind of guy. Looks just like my M42 lineup from 1969!
Well, that was exactly my point At that time, it was part of the lineup of almost every serious brand.

Sure they had a few more "exotics", but this lineup was filling 99.9% of the needs of 99% users. I don't think that those needs have changed that much.
- Zooms have become more popular than primes, they are more practical, but make people lazy in their composition.
- Iso / definition have seen tremendous improvement. 70s was a time when 100 iso was fast, now we complain if we seen noise at 800 iso.
- The quest for fast lenses was due to this iso/asa problem, not for a shallow dof (more seen as a pain, most of the time)

All this discussion makes us look like spoiled brats, some of the greatest photojournalist of all time made their series with just a Leica and 2 lenses...
04-12-2010, 03:15 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I dream about a new 500mm F4 coming out at some stage....
04-12-2010, 05:50 AM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
Well, that would be sweet... But in the meantime, while Pentax are working on that one, maybe they could give us SDM and SR compatible, weathersealed TC's, to use with those lovely DA* 200, 300 and 60-250 lenses? That glass is pretty much as good as it gets, with matched TCs it would all I need... For some time, at least
04-12-2010, 06:07 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Well, that was exactly my point At that time, it was part of the lineup of almost every serious brand.

Sure they had a few more "exotics", but this lineup was filling 99.9% of the needs of 99% users. I don't think that those needs have changed that much.
- Zooms have become more popular than primes, they are more practical, but make people lazy in their composition.
- Iso / definition have seen tremendous improvement. 70s was a time when 100 iso was fast, now we complain if we seen noise at 800 iso.
- The quest for fast lenses was due to this iso/asa problem, not for a shallow dof (more seen as a pain, most of the time)

All this discussion makes us look like spoiled brats, some of the greatest photojournalist of all time made their series with just a Leica and 2 lenses...
That's true, especially the last paragraph, but the point is that a reflex camera, compared to a rangefinder, exists especially to be allowed to use "special" lenses that on a rangefinder would be impossible to use. So, although those lenght would account for the needs of most users, the lens line-up for a reflex must include macros, tele, zoom, t&s, superwide and all those kind of lenses that a rangefinder wouldn't allow to use.
04-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
That's true, especially the last paragraph, but the point is that a reflex camera, compared to a rangefinder, exists especially to be allowed to use "special" lenses that on a rangefinder would be impossible to use. So, although those lenght would account for the needs of most users, the lens line-up for a reflex must include macros, tele, zoom, t&s, superwide and all those kind of lenses that a rangefinder wouldn't allow to use.
Which doesn't mean that Pentax needs to have them in their mass-market product T/S, Supertele, Ultrafast etc... are highly specialized lenses that are relevant mostly for professionnals and produced in small batches for a high price tag (even for the big players) Pentax being a small company (compared to C & N) those lenses would be a luxury, to be more precise they would make much more sense on their "new" professional system 645D.

This maybe just me but 645D 85/1.4, 40 T/S, 400/2.8 (+TC), 200/4 Macro etc... would make much more sense. Sure the 645D system would always be far less popular than the APSC system, but the proportion of its users willing to pay for rare, very expensive lenses would be much higher (and the system itself more attractive)

At the moment, if you are looking for rare, speciality lenses, you choose the lens before choosing the system. (T/S = Canon, 200mm/f2=Nikon etc...) Pentax has no point in putting those in its APSC system, aprt from saying "me too".
04-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
Why just f/4, ask Sigma to make the 200-500mm F2.8 APO EX DG in Pentax mount
04-13-2010, 12:57 AM   #59

The "classical" lens lineup was the following:
- 28 (24 is quite a modern focal lens)
I'm not sure if anything longer than 200mm is that exotic... And if Pentax is trying to look like an "outdoor" brand, something for wildlife photogs would be quite in line with that. Ultra wide weathersealed lens for landscapes would fit in here as well.

And I really don't think that people looking to buy into DSLR system these days care about classical lens lineups... Less choice will always make the systems less atractive to potential buyers.
04-13-2010, 03:53 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Which doesn't mean that Pentax needs to have them in their mass-market product T/S, Supertele, Ultrafast etc... are highly specialized lenses that are relevant mostly for professionnals and produced in small batches for a high price tag (even for the big players) Pentax being a small company (compared to C & N) those lenses would be a luxury.
That's for sure, but for the same reason I think it would not need a lot of "common focal lenght" that are covered by zooms.