Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
NATURAL INSPIRATION: Outdoor Photography with Kerrick James Sponsored by PENTAX @B&H

B&H, Tuesday, May 4, 11am - 1pm and 3 - 5pm

11-1pm:
NATURAL INSPIRATION: Outdoor Photography with Kerrick James Sponsored by PENTAX

3-5pm
NATURAL INSPIRATION: Outdoor Photography with Kerrick James Sponsored by PENTAX

“As a travel photographer, you have to be prepared to shoot anything from shopping to nightlife to people to architecture. But, my heart really lies with the outdoors and adventure. What I love to do is show people enjoying and exploring their environments.

Photography is a chase. You’re chasing after so many things at once, and you’re trying to capture them at one specific moment in time. It is a perceptual high when you bring them all together.

Photographers are responsible for everything inside the frame. Think of it as way organizing from visual anarchy down to something that really makes sense.”

You never know if you’ll capture the greatest image of that month or that year. There is potential every single day.” – Kerrick James

From the moment Kerrick James picked up a PENTAX in high school, he wanted to be published. Since then, he has been featured in several important books and on more than 200 magazine covers. Kerrick has photographed eagles from kayaks in Glacier Bay and icebergs at arm’s length in Prince William Sound. He shoots rafting adventures on the Colorado River and has suspended himself from perilous heights hanging from a rope to shoot rock climbers outside of Flagstaff. When it comes to getting that perfect shot, Kerrick will find a way to capture it.

Join Kerrick for an inspirational and educational lecture on outdoor photography and the new PENTAX K-7. In this session, Kerrick James will expound on the inspiration for his work and guide users through the features that help make the PENTAX K-7 a perfect outdoor shooting companion. Few photographers know the K-7 as well as Kerrick James. He chooses the K-7 for its ergonomic design, weather sealing, image quality and compatibility with every PENTAX lens ever made. Kerrick will guide attendees through the camera and explains how he puts it to the test nearly every day on his adventure travel shoots and workshops. As an added bonus, Kerrick will explain how the small, but mighty, PENTAX Optio W90 serves as an ideal back-up camera even in the most tortuous, outdoor elements, because it can go anywhere.

*More information on the PENTAX K-7

The launch of the PENTAX K-7 is considered a defining moment for the brand. As an advanced digital SLR that meets the needs of a wide range of photographers, the K-7 offers features including the reinforced, compact, weather-sealed K-7 body features a redesigned sensor, an improved frame rate of 5.2 frames per second, the ability to capture HD movies at 30 frames per second, an HDMI port to match, and a 77-segment metering system. Other, more revolutionary features include an Electronic Level function, which uses the PENTAX K-7's unique image stabilization system to rotate the sensor, and a Composition Adjustment features that shifts the sensor left, right, up, and down to fine-tune your image with the PENTAX K-7 mounted on a tripod.

Kerrick James
Kerrick James has specialized in imagery of travel for over twenty years. His work has appeared on over 200 book and magazine covers and in numerous feature stories for publications such as National Geographic Adventure, Sunset, Islands, Arizona Highways, Elle Decor, Alaska Airlines, Outdoor Photographer, Sky, Las Vegas Life, Virtuoso Life, and many more.

Kerrick has recently shot four new books for Voyageur Press: Backroads of Arizona, Our Arizona, Backroads of Route 66, and Ghost Towns of the Southwest. He has also shot six guidebooks for Compass American Guides, and contributed heavily to numerous Insight Guides.

Kerrick James photography is produced exclusively with PENTAX cameras and lenses. He finds the PENTAX K-7 combined with the weather-sealed construction of PENTAX DA ★ lenses to be particularly useful in the extreme environments where he captures memorable images.

04-02-2010, 03:31 AM   #2
Forum Member

Sounds great. I just sold most of my Leica equiptment for a switch to the K7. haven't placed my order with B&H yet, wating for my Leica MP body to sell on ebay . Still has a couple of days. Looking forward to the K7. Would definitly attend this.
04-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My only problem with this event is that it's in NEW YORK! Sure wish I were either there or they would come out here to the wild, wild west country of California. I'd happily travel to the far north of San Francisco or even the bright lights of Las Vegas for this!
04-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ugh. I just started at a new job in Midtown, too. I think it's a little soon for me to start skipping out early. I hope from the forums who goes gets something out of this experience.

04-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

B&H Natural Ispiration show with Kerrick James

Hi everyone,

I just returned from a rough backpack trip in Utah and took just the K7 and W90. I'll look forward to seeing everyone possible at B & H in early May, and show what I've been shooting recently with these two cameras. Expect images of adventure, Western scenics and wildlife, and Route 66 from a new book project.

See you then!

Kerrick James
04-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I SOOOOOO wish I could go, but geography is working against me. Love your pictures! Learning some things from you would be great but
04-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
Forum Member

Kerrick I'm very interested in how the W90 worked out for you. We will be traveling for at least a year around the U.S. towing a 25'Airstream and visting as many National Parks as possible. I will also be using the K7 and W90.

04-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Love the whole quotation. Too bad it's in New York.
04-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Kerrick James Rocks!!

Love your pictures wherever it was taken.
04-08-2010, 12:59 AM   #10

Come do one in Los Angeles, please.
04-08-2010, 02:16 AM   #11

Its nice to see Pentax sponsoring these types of events. Many more to come I hope.
04-08-2010, 05:15 AM   #12

When I went to one of the previews for the K7 in Orlando, Kerrick was the speaker.
I nteresting speaker. I'm sure the presentation @ B&H will be even better.
04-08-2010, 05:21 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a great event. Hope some PF members share what it was like.
04-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #14

Would love to attend such an event. Unfortunately, distance is an issue. Please consider something similar at a location closer to the Mississippi River.
04-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yonnie Quote
Would love to attend such an event. Unfortunately, distance is an issue. Please consider something similar at a location closer to the Mississippi River.
True. At least you people are located in the same continent.
Alas, for me, I am on the other side of the Pacific Ocean.