Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2010, 04:26 AM   #1

Pentax online stores in Europe

Hi all,

Did you know that Pentax opened online stores in the UK, Germany and France?

What do you think of this?

04-02-2010, 04:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I checked the German site.
It is not competitive priced, I guess Pentax will not sell a lot of camera's through that store...

- Bert
04-02-2010, 05:37 AM   #3

It's probably not meant to be competetive. If their prices could compete with those of their retailers, they'd be killing off the hands on experience you can get.

It's more likely to meant as a way to advertise their cameras to the public. If they sell a few cameras - great. They get to keep the profit that would otherwise go to the retailers.

I've worked for one company, that did the same thing. The online store prices were the MSR prices, and were about 10% higher than the actual store prices (lower margin product than cameras). They sold enough to pay for the cost of running the store, but not much more.

What they got in spades, though, was advertisement and better sales through their retailers. Stores were especially happy about it, because they'd often get comments from customers along the lines of "you're cheaper than the manufacturer ... that's awesome" and get sales that way.
04-02-2010, 05:58 AM   #4

Original Poster
Cameras will be cheaper at other stores anyway. But how about lenses etc? I think that at least they have them on stock ;-)

04-02-2010, 06:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah, the prices for the lenses are ridiculously high and the stock is ridiculously low. But anyway I fully agree they want just to be present and to trigger customers to search for prices at retailers and say "WOW, they are cheaper than the producer". Probably will work for impulse buyers who don't document much - not so many of those, especially in the Pentax community
04-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rickhtml Quote
Cameras will be cheaper at other stores anyway. But how about lenses etc? I think that at least they have them on stock ;-)
Looked at the German store, but the FA77, and 50 and 100 macros are not listed...

Strange.
04-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #7

The UK on-line store is just as useless as all the others. The range is smaller than most of the other on-line stores in the UK and the prices are very high. The information given about the products is also poor.
Just can not see the point as the main product website is really good with loads of information and it also lists all the UK dealers and their websites.
On the other hand it may support the dealer network by making prospective purchasers go to them instead to get a good deal.
04-05-2010, 02:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rickhtml Quote
Did you know that Pentax opened online stores in the UK, Germany and France?
Yes.

This is very old news here in Europe.

Before the German store opened, it was announced in a press release. This in turn triggered a wave of protests from dealers. So they decided to clarify: The store is meant to complement normal sales. It shall list a complete portfolio of products which otherwise may be hard to get, like some accessory items.

However, last time I checked the stores succeed in fulfilling one promise (to be not competitive) while not fulfilling the other (to be complete). But they do have some less common items like the O-ST53

04-10-2010, 03:48 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We need Pentax e-shop in Poland (even a bit higher prices than in other photo shops), because in our country there is only one distributor of Pentax and the marketing of this company is worse than the marketing in other photo companies resellers. Because of that in conventional photo shops gear begins with N, C, S or even O have got much better promotion. It's quite often that they are selling only N, C, S and O products except Pentax (shops don't offer Pentax products). Points-of-purchases like MediaM.. (in other country named MediaW..) and Sat.. don't sell Pentax products and it's hard to find some of P equipment, even if I want to buy it. That's quite sick situation for me, Pentaxian.
04-10-2010, 04:32 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Yes.

This is very old news here in Europe.

Before the German store opened, it was announced in a press release. This in turn triggered a wave of protests from dealers. So they decided to clarify: The store is meant to complement normal sales. It shall list a complete portfolio of products which otherwise may be hard to get, like some accessory items.

However, last time I checked the stores succeed in fulfilling one promise (to be not competitive) while not fulfilling the other (to be complete). But they do have some less common items like the O-ST53
Rumors are that a lot of extra products will be added next month.........
04-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ArkPi Quote
We need Pentax e-shop in Poland (even a bit higher prices than in other photo shops), because in our country there is only one distributor of Pentax and the marketing of this company is worse than the marketing in other photo companies resellers. Because of that in conventional photo shops gear begins with N, C, S or even O have got much better promotion. It's quite often that they are selling only N, C, S and O products except Pentax (shops don't offer Pentax products). Points-of-purchases like MediaM.. (in other country named MediaW..) and Sat.. don't sell Pentax products and it's hard to find some of P equipment, even if I want to buy it. That's quite sick situation for me, Pentaxian.
It's kinda tough to buy Pentax equipment in Poland. I live in Lodz, only very select large electronics stores have Pentax in stock. Only one Media Markt (of the two) in Lodz has Pentax. The Saturn which just opened doesn't even carry a single Pentax product! The Pentax distributor in Poland is the least likely company to push their products. I believe it's Apollo that does the distribution in Poland. The best place is to search the smaller shops. Look at Ceneo - porównanie cen, sklepy, perfumy, agd, rtv, komputery and Sk?piec.pl :: Porównanie cen w 1500 sklepach internetowych and type in pentax k-x or what ever you are looking for and you will find it. may be a little highly priced on a few items such as the DA* lenses. The DA 40 limited is reasonably priced with that of the states :-) I hope the helps!