Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2010, 08:27 AM   #16
Forum Member

Dang, every time I read a thread about a grip for the K-x I get my hopes up... /sigh

Even a non-functional grip with just a shutter button. Doesn't have to even provide power, just a small wire from the grip to the IR port with some electrical tape covering the IR trigger/port...but that would mean using the remote function in the camera and would kill the SR use.

Bah, just something for my fat hands to hold when using portrait perspective. PLEASE Pentax!

04-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FattyMcJ Quote
Dang, every time I read a thread about a grip for the K-x I get my hopes up... /sigh

Even a non-functional grip with just a shutter button. Doesn't have to even provide power, just a small wire from the grip to the IR port with some electrical tape covering the IR trigger/port...but that would mean using the remote function in the camera and would kill the SR use.

Bah, just something for my fat hands to hold when using portrait perspective. PLEASE Pentax!
Haha, aww. I think you got the wrong camera! ;P I sorta wished I had a K20 now.... but the K-X is still really nice. I don't mind going portrait though.
04-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't mind it supplying power...
And why couldn't it... look at the slot for the ac apapter
04-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I think they could make it work if they wanted to. The battery door does open up to a 90 degree angle to the bottom of the camera, which means they could effectively make a grip for the camera and instead of removing the battery door they could have some way to secure it to the grip...possibly the same way it stays closed on the body of the camera.

04-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #20
Forum Member

Nah, I wouldn't trade my K-x for anything.

Indeed, they probably could make a grip for it. Wouldn't be TOO hard.

But honestly, I'd rather them spend their R&D time and money on developing a FF "Pro body", if for no other reason than so I can buy it when I'm ready to upgrade lol.
04-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by levelred Quote
I wouldn't mind it supplying power...
And why couldn't it... look at the slot for the ac apapter
It's perhaps *maybe* technically feasible, in the same way it's *maybe* feasible to have it trigger the shutter by mimicking an IR remote. At the same time though, either solution (power cable out of camera then back into battery grip, or IR remote out of battery grip) is likely to be unreliable and not wildly useful.

Given that the market for a K-x grip is small in the first place, I doubt even a third party is very likely to bother with this (especially when they'd have to actually do the R&D themselves).
04-07-2010, 12:32 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Well, some did for k100. Grip+shutter release+batteries.

04-07-2010, 07:36 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timstone Quote
I think they could make it work if they wanted to. The battery door does open up to a 90 degree angle to the bottom of the camera, which means they could effectively make a grip for the camera and instead of removing the battery door they could have some way to secure it to the grip...possibly the same way it stays closed on the body of the camera.
Look at the battery grip for the ZX/MZ series of film cameras. It has a tall post-like structure that extends into the battery compartment. The battery door opens to 90 degrees and the grip has a slot next to the post into which the door fits.

This grip only provides battery power, using AA's instead of the one the camera normally uses. It does not provide any camera control at all. However, it does make the camera easier to hold, for someone with large hands, or who just prefers a larger camera.

I've handled a K-x in my local camera store. I felt it was too small. I like my K10D, with the grip.
04-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #24

No need

There really three reasons to buy a battery grip:
1. You need gobs of power, right away, with no time to stop.

Quite frankly, the Kx is not meant for this activity since its an entry-level amateur camera. Sight-seeing, family photos, not pro -level activity (which I know it can handle)

2. You want a second set of control for vertical shooting.

This is for that mid-level model that does not have a second set of controls, but can add it. The K10, Nikon D300, Canon 40D come to mind. But the fact is the Kx is so small, demure, that it is easy to rotate and hold this camera in your hand, eliminating the need for these controls.

3. To be an actual grip, to hold onto whaever you are shooting.

This one makes sense. While I miss the day of shooting with my MEsuper, which was closer to the size of the M4/3 genre, I have gotten used to a nice meaty camera to hold. I understand this one for the Kx and since its size and quality reminds me of those manual cameras of old, I want to recall another historic line of cameras - the 6x7 with optional wood grip. A grip needed for this purpose can have some style-how about a nicely stained piece of maple, or hickory, mounted through the tripod mount, giving some style. For the colored Kxs, it could be something more flamboyant...
04-07-2010, 07:16 PM   #25
Forum Member

I love the K-x but I just want it to be a bit bigger...
04-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #26
Closed Account

Same here ....
I guess there is no perfect camera ...
but K-x is really good!
04-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by levelred Quote
I love the K-x but I just want it to be a bit bigger...
You can, it's called a D90
04-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I have to agree. I would love a grip. My wife owns the k-x and while I do love the camera and would definitely use it if I had one, I have big hands and it is pretty small.
04-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #29
Forum Member

See, so many people would like the grip, I think it would sell well.

Then again, I think the popularity of the K-x caught Pentax off guard and didn't plan to create many accessories for it, like a grip.
04-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #30
Veteran Member

See, so many people would like the grip, I think it would sell well.

Then again, I think the popularity of the K-x caught Pentax off guard and didn't plan to create many accessories for it, like a grip.
The problem (from Pentax's POV) is that the availability of a grip for the K-x might dissuade a few folks from a K7.