Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #31
Nubi

So, are we going to get more DA lenses, or not???

But, it is completely illogical to keep putting out lenses that only work on sensors that are going to be more or less obsolete in few years. I say obsolete, not from the engineering standpoint but from the pricing aspect of it. FF sensors are going to be cheap enough for us to find their way into DSLR or EVIL or whatever. Even entry level DSLR can have FF in few and several years. Heck, maybe even MF sensors will be cheap enough.

APS-C's may well be looked at in the future like we squint our eyes at P & S sensors now; so darn small!!! So why the hell would they keep expanding DA lines?? Not only expanding the line sounds weird, continuing with them is even questionable to me, depending on the production cycle. FA ltds survived not because they were so awesome, but because digital sensors had not caught up to 135mm format in terms of size. Because we still DO NOT have FF, it makes sense to continue with FA lines, even if it meant moving the production line to Vietnam. But DA's??? Are we sure about that? One way for Pentax to force us to buy into FF when they come out is to cease production of all DA lenses. Would that piss enough of us off enough to jump to other brands? Or, enough us pentax enthusiasts have FA ltds that it justify staying on and buy into FF? Many of us wanted FF to begin with. I doubt they would do that.

But stubbornly sticking with something that can be replaceable by cheaper and bigger things can cost you big. Pentax has always been sort of an ideologically driven company until Hoya took over. I am sure they know exactly how much money and resource they are committing themselves to every time they whip out another DA lens.

Let's face it. I really think that one day FF sensors will be so cheap that nearly all of us will eventually buy into it. This is not like MF, where at this point almost none of us will buy (I do think that they will also become cheaper too). Do they really want to keep hanging onto DA lines??

Some may say that they have spent so much in R and D that they might as well do it. Not unless cost analysis indicates that it makes sense financially. I just cannot see how it can in the long run.

That is why it is interesting what their next move is.

04-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PENTAX is missing lenses in tele range. Indeed, a DA* 400mm F4 would be a nice start, but also a 500mm is a must... PENTAX is an outdoor camera, sealed, but has no lenses for wildlife.

Beside the primes, there is also a market for tele zooms. It could be a DA* 135-400mm or a 200-500mm. SIGMA sells the 120-400 en 150-500 HSM lenses, so there must be a market.

And yes, for the primes, TC's are long overdue... An 1.4x, 1.7x and a 2.0x please. Of course SDM and WR.
04-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I wasn't sure why they all of sudden have to WR the D FA. What's up with that??
I think, as much as it was unexpected and not at all called for, it suited three needs:

• a longer lens in the limited class/form factor
• a long companion for the 35macro limited
• a sealed macro to complete a line up for outdoor/nature photographers

What people were asking for were something like a 90/3,2 limited, a 70/2,8 macro limited, and a DA*135/2,8 macro. With just a minor reworking of an existing lens, Hoya almost fullfilled those three different needs.
04-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #34

I want to see a new version of FA 35/2. D FA 35/2 WR. I could change my FA 35 to this for WR.

I also agree that we need a fast prime between 20-28mm. In D FA WR form please.

Last edited by Jyrkira; 04-08-2010 at 02:17 PM.
04-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Oh please, no more lenses in the 35mm area. We can easily buy three already!

But where is that fast 24mm or 28mm prime?
04-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Oh please, no more lenses in the 35mm area. We can easily buy three already!

A fast 28mm limited lens would be great. I've got the 35mm Macro Limited and the 31mm lens seems too similar to be worth the investment. (Though obviously the extra stop or so of light would be a big plus). For me a fast 28mm would be a must-buy lens, though.
04-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #37
Veteran Member

IMO, the next Pentax lens should be in the tele range, say DA* 400mm or 500mm should be nice. Pentax is reknown as an outdoor camera (indoor too, if one to check out the skin tone of people in a picture), weather sealed, but has no tele lenses for the nature and wildlife (especially for birding purposes).

In addition to the prime lenses, it will be good if Pentax have tele zooms, for example, a DA* 100-400mm or a 200-500mm. Sigma have the 120-400 as well as 150-500 HSM lenses, so there must be a market for these types of tele zooms. If not Pentax should market it and make itself as the market leader.

04-09-2010, 01:13 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patrickw Quote
A fast 28mm limited lens would be great. I've got the 35mm Macro Limited and the 31mm lens seems too similar to be worth the investment. (Though obviously the extra stop or so of light would be a big plus). For me a fast 28mm would be a must-buy lens, though.
I've got the DA 35 too, but I think that a fast 24mm would be more interesting - a 28 mm is still within the "normal range". The equivalent of a 35mm on 35mm seems very useful to me. The da21 then can be considered too, but it's not exactly fast.
04-09-2010, 03:08 AM   #39

Oh please, no more lenses in the 35mm area. We can easily to buy three already!

We have only two primes in 35mm area since FA 35 has been discontinued. I agree it is still easy to buy. I really hope we can see FA 35 optics in weather sealed lens some day. Similar build quality to D FA 100/2.8 macro WR would be nice.

I do agree we need 24mm fast prime. How about D FA 24/2 WR ?
04-09-2010, 03:39 AM   #40
Inactive Account

24/2 would be boring. 24/3.5 tilt/shift would rock considering the future FF-bodies. Now Pentax could do something original as well - make a sealed T/S lens.
04-09-2010, 04:30 AM   #41

How about a 'L' prime? Not everyone can afford a Limited, nor a *. And good used (read old) lenses are getting, well, old, harder to come by, and in some cases not really any cheaper.

And the best way to bring this to the market without any R&D cost, is to cut the current prime lenses prices by, say 50%?
04-09-2010, 04:55 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maffer Quote
24/2 would be boring. 24/3.5 tilt/shift would rock considering the future FF-bodies. Now Pentax could do something original as well - make a sealed T/S lens.
Yes, a tilt/shift would be best of all!

But I do not see what that has to do with FF bodies. A tilt/shift lens made for APS-C needs a larger image circle than a usual lens, but one made for FF would need larger still. I don't think, given the extra expense already involved in such a lens, that Pentax would make it larger than needed for a body that does not exist!
04-09-2010, 06:08 AM   #43
Inactive Account

Yes, a tilt/shift would be best of all!

But I do not see what that has to do with FF bodies. A tilt/shift lens made for APS-C needs a larger image circle than a usual lens, but one made for FF would need larger still. I don't think, given the extra expense already involved in such a lens, that Pentax would make it larger than needed for a body that does not exist!
FF just because it would work as a true wide angle as well. But then again, one could always stitch with T/S lenses with ease. I believe Pentax will do the FF trick in few years. They just proved with 645D they are more than capable.
04-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #44
Inactive Account

I'm eager to get a longer zoom than my DA*60-250. I like to shoot small birds and that means fairly close distances even with a long lens and the 60-250 has what is known as focus breathing and at around 3 to 4m it's nearer 170/180mm in focal length which is not helpful. I know that the DA*300 is much better but I would like reach to at least 400mm and a zoom.

Pentax had a longer lens on their old roadmaps, but there was no indication whether it was a zoom or prime, I suspect the latter, but it may not be their current thinking. If it's a zoom and a DA*, it will probably be very pricy, so I'm considering either the Sigma 120-400 or 150-500 instead.

If Pentax actually made a non * level but WR telezoom that went to at least 400mm with a similar aperture range as the Sigmas or Canon 100-400IS L, with typically better Pentax colour/contrast, I'd be all over it in a shot, but sadly I suspect it won't happen.

My own feeling is that they may produce a WR version of the 55-300 and yet another clutch of boring primes.

If they do produce a 100-400 f4-5.6 WR SDM zoom or similar at reasonable money (no more than a Canon 100-400 L IS), then they could sell a bucketload, just as Canon do with their 100-400, but that just makes far too much sense, as would a quality WR SDM 18-200/3.5-5.6!
04-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote

If they do produce a 100-400 f4-5.6 WR SDM zoom or similar at reasonable money (no more than a Canon 100-400 L IS), then they could sell a bucketload, just as Canon do with their 100-400, but that just makes far too much sense, as would a quality WR SDM 18-200/3.5-5.6!
I would buy one. That specific lens made me look for a cheap canon body. I love pentax but its so hard to find anything that is all that long.