Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd like a WR K-X to come out in the next couple of months.

04-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #62

In the short term I see them concentrating on aps-c cameras and more specifically
the AF, live view and HD video. I believe high ISO is too depedent on sensor which is out of pentax's hand for them
to do much about it.

IF the 645D is any indication, pentax will have lots of the innards shared throughout
all the bodies, making them less expensive and giving pentax more purchasing power.

Also, they waited for a sensor for MF that fit their needs, same will happen with a FF
DSLR. They need to price it at $1300-$1500 msrp, making it affordable and pushing (if it came out today) the K7 to
the mid level tier, with the Kx as entry. Seeing how they have to take care of the MF bodies with lens,
need FF compatible lens, SR and video (even if many says it doesnt matter, they have to keep up with the competition) I think
no FF DSLR until 2012 at the soonest.

In the long term I see a FF camera a little more advanced coming out half a year after the prosumer
aps-c dslr. The FF camera will be almost identical to the aps-c using the latter as a testing ground,
the tweaked FF would have more memory, better pentaprism , maybe an integrated grip, 2 sd card slots etc... things fairly easily added.

People would easily be able carry around (i'm talking in a few years time) a small, aps-c DSLR with a 1.5x crop factor for wildlife (and not leave all those DA lens in the ditch) etc..
and a bigger and heavier (but less so than other manufacturer's ) FF camera. For beginner's continue in the same vein as the Kx, say what
you will about the colors, it's fun and refreshing and most importantly it brings in new people. 3 bodies tha makes use of all lens, different enough at clear price
points (unlike sony...) , a clear upgrade path, that would be nice.

/dream
04-10-2010, 01:56 AM   #63

Photos: Gallery
Intead of a new camera body we need more lens from Pentax, I think in comparison with the concurrence Pentax has less lens, why Pentax don't do a 50mm f1.8, this is not too difficult to produce.
04-10-2010, 03:53 AM   #64
Site Supporter

Pentax has never done a 50mm f1.8, but they have done the 50mm f1.7. For whatevere reason, they have stepped away from cheap primes and now only sell primes of decent quality. I wouldn't see them ever releasing a prime with a similar build quality to the Canon 50 f1.8. Also, they don't sell a similar number of lenses to Canon to warrant it.

04-10-2010, 03:54 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alexulo Quote
Intead of a new camera body we need more lens from Pentax, I think in comparison with the concurrence Pentax has less lens, why Pentax don't do a 50mm f1.8, this is not too difficult to produce.
I'd say make it a 1.7. They could then just relaunch the fa50 1.7 with a modernized exterior.
04-10-2010, 05:26 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Pentax has never done a 50mm f1.8, but they have done the 50mm f1.7. For whatevere reason, they have stepped away from cheap primes and now only sell primes of decent quality.
I have no problem with this, as it keeps their name associated with excellent gear. To my mind Canon does not have this association since they sell so much middling to poor stuff.

However, some of the Pentax prices seem out of line. They should certainly be able to offer primes in standard lengths with standard optics (development long ago recouped) at decent prices.
04-10-2010, 06:14 AM   #67

QuoteOriginally posted by SharpEyes Quote
Hello,
I am new to this forum and this is my second post.
I am on the verge of buying a K7
! am upgrading from my manual and much loved fantastic Pentax K1000 SLR.
If you follow the philosophy that you invest in the best possible lenses as the body out dates but not the lenses then can you tell me (0r anyone else uot there) is there a discernible difference in picture quality between the Pentax K-X and Pentax -7?
Would you buy the K7 and the best lenses or save money on the body and buy the Pentax K-X and still buy your pick of the lense?
Also the pentax K7 comes with the WR 18-55mm for only an extra $100 Australian, would you bother with this lense?
The answer to your question comes down to your approach to photography. Without doubt, every review says the Kx has better high ISO quality. I've struggled with which direction I want to go when I upgrade as well. The Kx is a great deal. However, you still have to deal with the fact the Kx doesn't have autofocus location indicators.

The K7 is a semi-professional camera with a better all around build. It shoots faster, has a smoother quieter shutter, and has a vastly superior LCD. It's also weather sealed, and has higher resolution. For me the fact that you can get it with a battery grip is also a significant selling point.

Think of the Kx as a well equipped small car and the K7 as an even better equipped mid sized car. Both get you from point A to point B, but the larger car will get your there more comfortably and in fact gives you more options to choose from when you want them.

With regard to whether you buy the Kx with better glass or the K7 with the WR lens for just $100 more. Again, it's a difference of philosophy. Either camera will take great pictures. The glass you use of course has an enormous impact upon the pictures you get. If you are going to take a lot of really low light pictures, I would suggest going with the Kx and faster glass. If you're not into low light pictures, the K7 is certainly a more well rounded camera. If you're buying the K7 I think it only makes sense to get the WR lens unless you just can't afford the extra $100. That way you have the option of being safely outside in the rain.

Ultimately I think it comes down to whether you will buy the camera and keep it for the next 8 to 10 years, or whether you're going to want to upgrade in a year or two when bigger and better becomes available, which it of course will. Either way you will enjoy your new camera and take a lot of great pictures. Have fun either way!

Last edited by PentaxRev; 04-10-2010 at 06:20 AM.
04-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxRev Quote
Ultimately I think it comes down to whether you will buy the camera and keep it for the next 8 to 10 years, or whether you're going to want to upgrade in a year or two when bigger and better becomes available, which it of course will. Either way you will enjoy your new camera and take a lot of great pictures. Have fun either way!
I'm not sure the 8-10 year plan is very realistic at the present time. the technology still seems a bit unstable. I bought a K2 (circa 1975) and happily used it for 20 years, and didn't miss out on much, but there still seems to be a list of ideas for seriously improving the digital camera in material ways, and it seems to me that it is unlikely that we will have to wait 8-10 years for that to happen, let alone 20.

04-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #69

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alexulo Quote
I agree. I would like more choices in the tele range.
04-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not sure exactly what happened with this topic, but has there been any more speculation on to what the camera might be?

When is Photokina? I'm guessing it will be announced a week or so before then.
04-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #71
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
I'm not sure the 8-10 year plan is very realistic at the present time. the technology still seems a bit unstable. I bought a K2 (circa 1975) and happily used it for 20 years, and didn't miss out on much, but there still seems to be a list of ideas for seriously improving the digital camera in material ways, and it seems to me that it is unlikely that we will have to wait 8-10 years for that to happen, let alone 20.
5 to 6 years seems reasonable. The thing to remember with film cameras was that the "sensor" was replaceable with whatever film you wanted to try. Although, the * ist D was released in 2003 and there are still plenty of them running around out there, doing OK I guess.
04-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We kind of have the same thing developing with our cameras as we do with our cell phones. Have you realized that most people don't have a cell phone for over a year? Actually some of them don't have one for over 6 months because a newer model comes out before they can even finish their contract, so they have to buy a new one.

Anyone noticing this happening with Canon and Nikon now?
04-11-2010, 11:43 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
We kind of have the same thing developing with our cameras as we do with our cell phones. Have you realized that most people don't have a cell phone for over a year? Actually some of them don't have one for over 6 months because a newer model comes out before they can even finish their contract, so they have to buy a new one.
Most of the cell phones (including some high-end models from Nokia) I've had over the last few years lasted only one year. The current (an iPhone 3G) is an exception, it's still working flawlessly after 1 year and 8 months. The interesting parallel to cameras, is that this summer it will get technologically out-dated, since it won't be able to take advantage of some of the better features of the upcoming OS update.

I think you can calculate the same way with cameras: If you want to have the latest features, you have to upgrade every second year. Unlike cell phones, though (excluding some older, sturdy models - my wife had a simple Nokia for 4 or 5 years before upgrading), cameras will actually last much longer than that, and they will still be very adequate tools for much more than 2 years. I recently heard of a famous photographer who still sticks with his D200, despite certainly having the means to upgrade. I guess the D200 is very similar in output to the K10D I own, and certainly, if you can avoid the highest ISO settings, the K10D is still more than adequate. Doesn't stop me from wanting a K-7, though - just the sound of the shutter tempted me to buy it
04-14-2010, 03:36 AM   #74

I bought a new cell phone last week. My old one was the Nokia 6210 from 2000.

I think FF in the Body of the K-7 is not yet possible. Because the mirror, shutter and prism are to small.
The electronic is no problem (645D uses the electronic of the K-7).
Sensor from Kodak (the one from the leica M9) should be good in a body like K10D.

Realistic I think:
- new 645D-Body: entry (less features and cheaper), 24x36 Sensor
- new 645-DFA lenses (1 Zoom and 1 Ultrawide)
- K-7 refresh (new sensor, same body, better LV and full manual video)
04-14-2010, 04:25 AM   #75
Veteran Member

What about a K7 mkII? Some changes on the sensor, NR and Autofocus, the rest is OKů