Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 01:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like how pentax keeps their range simple.
I love my k200d, was my first dslr after stepping up from film slr's, has plenty of room for people to grow, i just wish it had more deadicated buttons for more manual control.
Im actually trying to talk my old man into buying my k200d or him to get a new k-x. Its too bad the k-x doesnt have a top lcd or weather sealing.

04-08-2010, 01:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

When I bought a K200D, it was that or the K20D, and that suited me fine. The Kx has definitely been a great entry-level gap-filler, but I agree that Pentax should keep the range simple (half a dozen bodies seems more than enough) and focus on their biggest selling points (to my mind) with new models - backwards compatibility, and weather sealing. Body-wise, they're the two features that set Pentax apart from the competition. They're definitely the two reasons I went Pentax, and two of the greatest motivators that keep me with Pentax.
04-08-2010, 03:22 AM   #18

I'd like for Pentax to get, within a year, a camera that has the features of the K-7 and the sensor quality of the K-X , which apparently has better ISO performance.
Then I may have my replacement for the K10D.
They will sure present something even better, since the tech is all there right now.
04-08-2010, 04:10 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by patrickw Quote
If they weather-sealed a K-x I'd probably buy one to go along with my K-7. But I'd rather wait and get a K-8 instead.
Hello,
I am new to this forum and this is my second post.
I am on the verge of buying a K7
! am upgrading from my manual and much loved fantastic Pentax K1000 SLR.
If you follow the philosophy that you invest in the best possible lenses as the body out dates but not the lenses then can you tell me (0r anyone else uot there) is there a discernible difference in picture quality between the Pentax K-X and Pentax -7?
Would you buy the K7 and the best lenses or save money on the body and buy the Pentax K-X and still buy your pick of the lense?
Also the pentax K7 comes with the WR 18-55mm for only an extra $100 Australian, would you bother with this lense?

04-08-2010, 04:16 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SharpEyes Quote
Hello,
I am new to this forum and this is my second post.
I am on the verge of buying a K7
! am upgrading from my manual and much loved fantastic Pentax K1000 SLR.
If you follow the philosophy that you invest in the best possible lenses as the body out dates but not the lenses then can you tell me (0r anyone else uot there) is there a discernible difference in picture quality between the Pentax K-X and Pentax -7?
Would you buy the K7 and the best lenses or save money on the body and buy the Pentax K-X and still buy your pick of the lense?
Also the pentax K7 comes with the WR 18-55mm for only an extra $100 Australian, would you bother with this lense?
Not to hijack this thread, but it really depends on what is important to you. The cameras themselves are very different. The kx is smaller, with fewer controls on the body, much more menu driven, has a smaller viewfinder with a pentamirror. However, it does have the ability to shoot a little more than one stop better at high iso than the K7. That is to say, when shooting RAW, iso 3200 on the kx looks like iso 1600 on the K7.

As for the kit lens WR, this is the cheapest way to get a weather sealed body/ lens combo. I would definitely get it and if you don't like it, you can sell the lens for more than you paid for it.
04-08-2010, 04:43 AM   #21
Veteran Member

If anything I think the next camera will be along the lines of the K-x with some of the proposed "flaws" fixed (those identified always in reviews).

I think the K-7 is on a longer development cycle. We might see an improved body, but nothing major for a while.
04-08-2010, 04:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
As for the kit lens WR, this is the cheapest way to get a weather sealed body/ lens combo. I would definitely get it and if you don't like it, you can sell the lens for more than you paid for it.
I second that motion. Pentax make great kit lenses (just look here if you need proof) and you won't have trouble recouping on it if you decide you don't need it. I went off my kit lens as soon as I got some primes, but have subsequently come back to it many times for it's convenience.

As to which camera, if you're looking to buy lots of lenses - and can afford to - you're set to spend far more than the $1 000 difference between the two bodies. If low light shooting is important to you, the K-x might be the way to go, but if you want a better viewfinder, the K-7 wins - handle both and you'll immediately have a better idea of which you favour.

Last edited by LensScribe; 04-08-2010 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Forgot to include a link
04-08-2010, 08:36 AM   #23
Veteran Member

This K-x contest has temporarily turned these forums into a useless dump. Bah.
04-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #24
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edumad Quote
I'd like for Pentax to get, within a year, a camera that has the features of the K-7 and the sensor quality of the K-X , which apparently has better ISO performance.
Then I may have my replacement for the K10D.
They will sure present something even better, since the tech is all there right now.
The best idea here.....A Kx sensor in a K7....or at least a sensor as good as is in the Kx. I've spent hours reading all the reviews, looking at all the photos, and comparing all the data.....my K20D has better IQ than the K7, so if IQ is the goal, why go to the K7? If the Great features of the K7 fit your needs, then maybe it might make some sense, but if you had the Kx sensor in the K7, you would have the winner of all winners in the Pentax line. I suspect they will do this or something comparable in the next Flagship model, they read too.....
Best Regards!
04-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I like how pentax keeps their range simple.
I love my k200d, was my first dslr after stepping up from film slr's, has plenty of room for people to grow, i just wish it had more deadicated buttons for more manual control.
Im actually trying to talk my old man into buying my k200d or him to get a new k-x. Its too bad the k-x doesnt have a top lcd or weather sealing.
There is no big difference if your old man dont' has used camera with top lcd, it is very comfortable. Weather sealing is also not so importat becasue many people at the beginning don't shot photos with bad weather.

But the only way to buy a K200D is to purchase it used because there is no new K200D on the market, you can only buy a new K-x.
04-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #26

I'm sure Pentax will release a new body sooner or later. This is 100% verified information by the way.
04-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Any news if what body? Are they going to release an evil similar to NX10 or same body as the Kx and K7?
04-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
IMO, no way they will venture into EVIL but with a deal with another vendor.

I really can't see them with a new mount, new set of lenses etc. They do not have resources for that.
04-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The K200D is a very decent camera, but its most unique feature, WR, was not very easy to sell to beginners when there were only expensive DA* lenses available at that time.

The situation is different now that Pentax has affordable WR kit lenses, though, so IF it makes any sense at all for Pentax to have a camera between the already unusually well-specced (for an entry-level camera) K-x and the K-7, it would IMHO be a camera that is closer to the K-x than to the K-7. A possible solution would be to take the K-x, add (of course) focus point markers, WR, maybe improved video and maybe a top LCD to distinguish it further from the K-x. Maybe also some design sugar coating to emphasize the ruggedness (orange+black body ).
I found K-x a very good and nice camera but it IMHO is too small for people who has normal hand, this camera is perfect for women but not for man. It lacks no battery grip and I consider this very important. Pentax must have three bodys, K-x, K7 successor and K200D successor, I think this is perfect to contrast the concurrence.
04-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #30

I think we have two different worlds: the 645D and the 'rest'. Of course, in a few years the 645 will get a successor, but as far as I can predict not in 2011/2012.

For the 'other' DSLR, I think this range is a likely possibility:

I - unknown - Pro, Full frame - I don't know when

II - K-7 - Prosumer - will be replaced in 2011? Each replacement is of course also an upgrade!

III - K5? - Enthousiast - introduced in 2010? based on K7/K-x

IV - K-x - Entry level - will be replaced in 2011?

More than this is not needed: K10/K20D, K200D and K-m can be discontinued (and some are already )

Lower as K-x is in my opinion not the market for PENTAX