Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Of course not, the K-7 is now considered to be an inferior camera, despite being so highly regarded when it was first released. The K-x kind of took the thunder away from it.
This is silly. The K7 is a better camera. It is more expensive and has more high iso noise, but (for what I shoot) the K7 is what I have been looking for. I honestly don't think you have shot with either of these cameras, so not certain where this opinion is coming from.

Honestly, though, you can take great photos with either camera.

04-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hope the K-X review comes out well. Was surprised to see them give the Nikon D3000 a hard time. They didn't like it very much. Having played with it in class, neither do I. The IB is a joke. The camera has no features. Just surprised to see them say it.

The K-X is not a better camera than the K-7. I have shot both. K-X only wins in high ISO and maybe a slight amount of extra dynamic range. Saying the K-X is better is like saying Kodak 400 ISO color print film is better than Fuji ISO 50 Velvia! The Kodak shoots in lower light, and as a print film, has higher dynamic range. All else is down hill.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #29 in compact camera forum. Enter #30. Any brand camera. Enter now!

Shoot on Pentaxium/ world Pentax day Apr.17th
04-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I'm missing something.

The cover indicates, as does the article, that Pentax's beginner DSLR got better.

The only referent that comes to mind is the K-m. Given that most don't consider the K-7 to be a beginner's camera, I don't know why this thread wandered off to the K-7.

I know it's well past my bedtime so help me here.
04-12-2010, 12:43 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i thought k-x was designed for chicks, whereas k-7 for the alpha male.

04-12-2010, 01:05 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
i thought k-x was designed for chicks, whereas k-7 for the alpha male.
I'm pretty sure that's not true, some of the colors of the K-x might have been designed for girls, but it's a very capable camera for a guy, just as much as the K-7.
04-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #21
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I'm pretty sure that's not true, some of the colors of the K-x might have been designed for girls, but it's a very capable camera for a guy, just as much as the K-7.
actually, much like the K-m, the K-x was designed with the female user in mind, I believe that pentax is specifically trying to (at least thats what it seems they are up to in japan) gain more women users for their entry level model.
04-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #22
Veteran Member

In many families, the woman is the "memory keeper". Seems to be true when I ask around the office. In three of the last four couples who bought a DSLR (all for the first time), the woman picked and/or mainly uses the camera.

One of the Pentax adverts in the US is clearly aimed at the soccer mom. I think it makes sense. If colors help, good for us. We all benefit from a growing pool of Pentax owners.

Even if they're chicks.

(Runs for cover with a bag over his head)

04-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm a subscriber - so have this issue.

It's a fair (operative word) review -
it is definitely not the enthusiastic one we'd hope for -
it seems slightly reserved -
and to me kind of "damning by faint praise"

For noise which according to many other reviews is outstanding on the K-x -
gets positive review but hardly showing how good the High ISO results can be
(mainly because of the two cameras used for comparison the Canon Xs 10Mp and Nikon D3000 10Mp -
neither of which are anything special or quality benchmark to compare to
- other than the obvious "similar" prices -
so even the resolution results are kind of wishy-washy since the 12Mp K-x is compared to 10mp cameras that actually come close....

" Noise suppression wasn't terribly impressive at the lower end of its ISO range (both the Canon and Nikon beat it through ISO 400).

But at its highest ISOs, the K-x shined: At ISO 800 through 1600 (the canon's highest sensitivity), the Pentax edged ahead of the Nikon. While they both get Unacceptable ratings at ISO 3200, the Pentax showed significantly less noise (3.2) than the Nikon (5.5). And at ISO 6400 - a sensitivity the Nikon doesn't reach - it still did better than the D3000 did at ISO 3200
"

Perhaps it would have been relevant if they could have just mentioned the K-x noise compared to the Nikon D90, D5000 and Canon T1i?

They actually like the AF -
and ha-ha! don't even mention the lack of AF overlay indicators in the viewfinder!

Hopefully PopPhoto.com will post the review on the site
(normally sometime after the magazine is on the newsstands).
Note the cover is usually different on the newsstand to the subscribers' version.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 04-12-2010 at 12:03 PM.
04-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Hopefully PopPhoto.com will post the review on the site
(normally sometime after the magazine is on the newsstands).
Note the cover is usually different on the newsstand to the subscribers' version.
PopPhoto.com has now got a link up:

Camera Test: Pentax K-x
This DSLR delivers HD video, live view, and ISO 6400 at a great price.
Posted Apr 12, 2010

Unfortunately right now it is only a set of images without any text - perhaps I have caught the initial but incomplete posting?

Anyway they do have their results panel included:

04-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
PopPhoto.com has now got a link up:

This DSLR delivers HD video, live view, and ISO 6400 at a great price.
Posted Apr 12, 2010

Unfortunately right now it is only a set of images without any text - perhaps I have caught the initial but incomplete posting?
Don't know what the above link was about - as it still only shows 5 images without text -

This link:

however contains the review text - but not the test results panel which is in my earlier post with that strange images only link.

Here's their comments on the AF:

" The K-x’s autofocus tested well, too, with very strong performance in brighter light. At EV 12 through EV 6, it was equal to or faster than the two competitors. Though its AF was slower than the Canon and Nikon in dimmer light, it remained within 0.6 seconds of them even at its worst. The K-x’s 11-point AF system offers a real improvement over the five-point system found in its predecessor, the K2000. It focused about 0.4 sec faster on average in the light levels below EV 4 in our lab tests. Plus, nine of the K-x’s AF sensors are cross-types concentrated in the center portion of the frame, for better sensitivity in both the horizontal and vertical planes. "

Notice no comments about the lack of AF overlay indicators.....
04-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Hmm, this?

Or this?
04-14-2010, 12:45 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What for ?
04-14-2010, 12:47 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Does the K-X do video playback or something? On page 70 of the mag where they did the test, it looks like they are watching Fantastic 4 rise of the silver surfer on the LCD screen. Or I wonder what built in camera processing filter is that?
Attached Images

Last edited by SuperAkuma; 04-14-2010 at 12:54 AM.
04-14-2010, 05:55 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
Does the K-X do video playback or something? On page 70 of the mag where they did the test, it looks like they are watching Fantastic 4 rise of the silver surfer on the LCD screen. Or I wonder what built in camera processing filter is that?
The K-x does do video, but I think here the live view function is being "demonstrated". It appears that all they are doing is pointing the camera at a TV, so the live action shows through on the rear LCD. And I do not think there is any filter, but rather this is the result of how the shot was taken.
04-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I love the output of the K-x, but I use my K20D's systematically for their 100 iso 14.6 mega pixel output which compensates for the magazine crop, effectively using around 12 mega pixels of the image area. The output of the K20D at 100 iso is superb?
Attached Images