Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 100mm f2.8 macro in May "Popular Photography"

The May edition has, on page 76, a review by Julia Silber headlined Tough Tool.
The subhead is Sturdy and dependable close-up glass.

The same edition of the magazine has a review of the Pentax K-X camera, which is promoted on the cover of the subscribers' edition. (I have not seen the newsstand edition.)

04-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What do they say? Is this a dependable magazine anyway? I know it used to be, years ago.
04-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well out of all of the photography magazines, it's pretty much the only one that cares about Pentax enough to write articles about them, so I would say they are a little more reputable than the rest of them.
04-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pop Photo is one of the few American (North American?) domestic magazines that I can find regularly at bookstores and newstands. It seems so many of them are from the UK. Practical Photography occassionally gives Pentax some love, but I'd say it's more of a technique and style mag rather than focusing on gear. Their lens reviews are at least fair and informative, I will say.

On topic, though, I'm interested to see what PP says about the Pentax Macro; I recently bought the Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro during rebate season because it was a highly rated (read "sharp") alternative to the Pentax and for a lot less. Of course, the Tamron does not have the WR specification, but I'm not regularly found out in the rain with my camera!

04-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have been a Pop Photography subscriber since the late '60's...on and off...mostly on.

Currently...ok...find the tests / reviews not anywhere as detailed and thorough as they used to be.

The late, Burt Keppler was great..used to look forward to columns which were always filled with wisdom and experience.
04-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #6

"SQF results held on to an Excellent rating all the way to 16x20 better than the Canon 100mm f/2.8 IS, which only held this rating to 11x14."

"Autofocus was quick, but we found ourselves more often in manual focus, since this was smooth as silk."

Focusing ring 260 degrees.

SQF is an abbreviation for Subjective Quality Factor. SQF was developed by Ed Grainger of Eastman Kodak as an objective measurement that correlated well with subjective rankings of print quality
04-11-2010, 03:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by apemen Quote
SQF is an abbreviation for Subjective Quality Factor. SQF was developed by Ed Grainger of Eastman Kodak as an objective measurement that correlated well with subjective rankings of print quality
That's the most confusing definition ever. A subjective factor that is an objective measure of a subjective ranking?
04-11-2010, 04:04 AM   #8

well,
there is some explanation there:
Imatest - SQF

MTF is a measurement of device or system sharpness; SQF is a measurement of perceived print sharpness. SQF is derived from MTF, the contrast sensitivity function (CSF) of the human visual system, and an assumption about the relationship between print height and viewing distance.

04-11-2010, 04:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by apemen Quote
well,
there is some explanation there:
Imatest - SQF
Thanks, that makes more sense. Actually, it makes far too much sense... my head hurts!
04-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Well out of all of the photography magazines, it's pretty much the only one that cares about Pentax enough to write articles about them, so I would say they are a little more reputable than the rest of them.

They print articles, but not all favorable ones. They seem to be a bit biased toward Canon.
04-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian

An Observation

It's a sort of "Photography Lite". Low calorie, aimed to the popular taste. The discerning go elsewhere. The rest of us have a bit of fun and believe that we can always learn something new from everyone if we're not too proud to pay attention.

And Pentax advertising dollars have been think upon the ground in the US in the last year. Perhaps some of these efforts are paying off.

The above should not be interpreted to imply, nor are you intended to infer, that any magazine, newspaper, radio or television programme, Web site, commentator, industry analyst, or chap on the next stool at the pub is or would be influenced by receiving remuneration of any type including advertising revenue, complimentary goods and services, co-op credits, and/or a word in the ear of The Boss.

Or whatever ....

Me? I'll gladly sell out for a good bitter or two in a pub without a TV or jukebox. Fat chance of finding one like that.

Last edited by glanglois; 04-11-2010 at 08:31 PM. Reason: typo