Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adrian Owerko Quote
I would like to see a cam with twin SD card slots..
Pentax already has a dual slot camera, you'll just have to go to Japan and pay $9,400 US for it...

04-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Hey Pentaxie, you've just copied and pasted the exact same thing that I said in Post #28 of this thread. And I saw you do this to another person's post in another thread.

What's going on here?
Hi johnmflores,

I have read your comments and I do share the same line of thinking as you.
If you felt that I have copied your comments, then I am sorry.It is just that I do share the same thought as what you described earlier.

Have a Nice Day.
04-15-2010, 12:43 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Why would Pentax need a camera with dual slots? The RAW files are fairly well compressed and I can get a lot of photos at ten megapixels or so just with a two gigabyte one. I don't really see what the need is for it.
04-15-2010, 02:14 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Why would Pentax need a camera with dual slots? The RAW files are fairly well compressed and I can get a lot of photos at ten megapixels or so just with a two gigabyte one. I don't really see what the need is for it.
Three words: speed, convenience and safety

Speed: two cards can be written simultaneously.
Convenience: write RAW on the first card, the JPG's on the second card
Safety: write the same files on both cards. If one card fails, then the other is still working.

That's just a few of the many possibilities with a dual card slot.

04-15-2010, 04:06 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Often when two cards are supported, one of the card slots is a CF Card slot. I know that SD Cards are getting better and faster, but I wonder if Pentax will ever go the route of using CF Cards?
04-15-2010, 04:30 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Often when two cards are supported, one of the card slots is a CF Card slot. I know that SD Cards are getting better and faster, but I wonder if Pentax will ever go the route of using CF Cards?
I do not think, you will ever see again a CF card slot in a Pentax APS-C DSLR. Just takes too much space, considering that Pentax as ever. tries to make the smallest DSLRs. Also, the speed advantage would only be useful, if Pentax releases a camera that bring us something like 8 fps RAWs. And thirdly the memory size is big enough for my taste with 16GB. I never use cards above 8GB, which would already lose 300 shots, if it gets faulty or lost. I prefer to distribute my shots over sevral cards to minimize risk.

Ben
04-15-2010, 05:37 AM   #52
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Smaller APC-S Camera Body to Compete with Micro-4/3rds

As popular as the micro 4/3rds and smaller APC-S bodies like the NX10 maybe Pentax will release a new smaller mirror-less camera body that uses the K-mount.
I imagine it would be a very popular camera. Sony is coming out with their version this summer. Pentax has to have taken notice of the popularity of them. Who knows?
GR

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I'm curious whether or not Pentax usually releases any cameras during or around Photokina. If I remember correctly, the K-m was released just around then, so I'm not sure about any other ones.

If they do, what do you think they'll show us?

Oh, and when is Photokina this year?

04-15-2010, 06:04 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grcolts Quote
As popular as the micro 4/3rds and smaller APC-S bodies like the NX10 maybe Pentax will release a new smaller mirror-less camera body that uses the K-mount.
What would be the point of a mirrorless K-mount camera? The whole point of mirrorless is to reduce the registration distance.
04-15-2010, 07:18 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think that Pentax will ever go CF, they chose SD for the 645D. CF is often rated as "more professional", even if more capacity and speed are available on top of the range cards but the pins of the reader makes this tech fragile.

All in all, SD is cheaper and more reliable.
04-15-2010, 07:37 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxie Quote
Hi johnmflores,

I have read your comments and I do share the same line of thinking as you.
If you felt that I have copied your comments, then I am sorry.It is just that I do share the same thought as what you described earlier.

Have a Nice Day.
Next time, please click on the Quote button for my comment, then simply add "I agree" and Submit. That's acceptable behavior here. Thx.
04-15-2010, 08:32 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
I don't think that Pentax will ever go CF, they chose SD for the 645D. CF is often rated as "more professional", even if more capacity and speed are available on top of the range cards but the pins of the reader makes this tech fragile.

All in all, SD is cheaper and more reliable.
I wonder if that has anything to do with a "bigger is better" mindset. I mean if you were to take the average person who doesn't know anything about cameras, and ask who has the more professional equipment out of two photographers, One with a 250$ 400mm phoenix lens and the other one with a 40mm Pentax pancake, I wouldn't be surprised if most people would pick the guy with the 400mm.

I personally prefer SD cards anyways.
04-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by Nerdold Nerdith Quote
I'd like to see an ultra wide DA* lens. That's kind of a missing part in the DA* lineup. I think the last lens Pentax needs though is yet another mid range zoom. They already have the 18-55mm II, 18-55mm WR, 16-45mm, 17-70mm, 16-50mm, and I guess the 18-250mm. That's 6 lenses. That's a lot of mid range zooms for someone like Pentax who has such a small lineup. Another lens could be a longer DA limited, something in the >100mm range. Maybe like a 136mm or something, since the focal lengths usually don't make any sense.
Absolutely agree about the ultra-wide. I've been asking for a DA* 8-16mm F2.8 for a while but I'll settle for F4 if they have trouble making it F2.8.

Ever since I used the Nikkor 14-24mm F2.8 (full-frame) and later the Zuiko 7-14mm F4, I have been wishing we could get that wide with the quality to match on Pentax. We would actually only need a 9-16mm range but 8 is a rounder number and Sigma announced the 8-16mm (I forget the aperture but is not constant) but that won't have weather-sealing.

- Itai
Neovoyage | Explore, Experience, Expand your horizons | Travel Photography Tours
04-19-2010, 11:27 PM   #58
ogl
Banned

I hope we will see new FF camera at Photokina and new APS-C camera a bit below K-7. And OLD NEW classical limited lenses.
04-20-2010, 12:48 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I hope we will see new FF camera at Photokina and new APS-C camera a bit below K-7. And OLD NEW classical limited lenses.
If and when we do see a FF camera, I hope the mid level camera won't be "a bit below" K-7, but rather a "K-7 Super". So the range would be 645D - "K-FF" - "K-7 Super" - "K-x Super". But I think they might need an EVIL camera as well, and that it may be more urgent than a "K-FF".
04-20-2010, 02:03 AM   #60
ogl
Banned

no any EVIL camera from Pentax this year