Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 03:18 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax returns to shops

- at least here in Norway. Just observed that a small shop (*) in the shopping mall closest to my office suddenly carries the K-x. And just across the street in a different shopping mall there's a larger shop which has carried Pentax all the time (and usually has the K-7 and a few lenses too).

(*) but in a large chain

04-12-2010, 05:05 AM   #2

ritz hasn't had them for awhile, doubt they will. privatized shops with the backing of a chain can risk buying a small inventory outside the canikon bubble. i talk to the ritz people every couple of weeks, they never know anything. i dont even think they understood what happened when their business reached bankruptcy last year. unfortunately pentax's exposure has been suffering because it took so long for ritz camera to get with the program.
04-12-2010, 05:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
and btw I noticed more exposure in Germany, too

the local "Mediamarkt" in the city where I often go for holiday in Germany, hasn't had any Pentax DSLRs on display for a while (not since the K100D, I think). But when I popped by two weeks ago, they had a white K-x on display!
04-12-2010, 05:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kickboxingpenguin Quote
i dont even think they understood what happened when their business reached bankruptcy last year.
I'm surprised to hear that some Ritz shops still exist! I thought they were all closed last year?

04-12-2010, 05:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OP:
That is interesting, which chain was it?
The only chain stores (home electronics or dedicated to cameras and equipment) I've seen having Pentax is Japan Photo, although it varies a bit how much they know/care, as well as they don't have much stock, obviously because they don't sell much.
04-12-2010, 06:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KjetilH Quote
OP:
That is interesting, which chain was it?
FotoKnudsen - the shop at Oslo City. And in fact (I just looked) they're now even featuring it on the welcome page of their web site.

Concerning Japan Photo: I've met at least one reasonably knowledgeable sales person at their Byporten shop in Oslo (where they always have a few lenses on display, even limiteds).
04-12-2010, 07:00 AM   #7

Probably this shows the rise in popularity of the K-x. Especially given that it is an excellent camera.

04-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
the local "Mediamarkt" in the city where I often go for holiday in Germany, hasn't had any Pentax DSLRs on display for a while (not since the K100D, I think). But when I popped by two weeks ago, they had a white K-x on display!
My local MediaMarkt always has the K-x and K-7, and before that they carried the K-m and K20D. Barely any lenses, though...?
04-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Here in Aus at least one chain (J&B HiFi) carries a limited stock of Pentax cameras.

I spoke to a salesman there recently, however, and he seemed to know very little about them. I wasn't buying but just browsing. That may have had some influence on his attitude.
04-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kickboxingpenguin Quote
ritz hasn't had them for awhile, doubt they will. privatized shops with the backing of a chain can risk buying a small inventory outside the canikon bubble. i talk to the ritz people every couple of weeks, they never know anything. i dont even think they understood what happened when their business reached bankruptcy last year. unfortunately pentax's exposure has been suffering because it took so long for ritz camera to get with the program.
I thought that Ritz went bankrupt, all of the stores near me closed down.
04-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I'm surprised to hear that some Ritz shops still exist! I thought they were all closed last year?
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I thought that Ritz went bankrupt, all of the stores near me closed down.
no there are ritz stores that are still open =P They have closed many locations. Most recent closures have been because the stores don't "fit with their brand image". The revamped their business model to include everything digital and film image related. This includes photo processing, HD tvs, video cameras, DSLR, Digital Print stations... ect.

personally, i think they are a dinosaur that just needs to kick the bucket.
04-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I never really liked any of their stores, but they were the only ones that really had any around me (there are a few Shutterbug stores, but I don't really like them that much either).
04-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I never really liked any of their stores, but they were the only ones that really had any around me (there are a few Shutterbug stores, but I don't really like them that much either).
Wonder how many of us have actually bought a camera via a local camera store in recent years? I buy most of my stuff online though I do throw a bone to a local Mom & Pop now and then. Last one was the D300 the day it came out--because they had one in stock with my name on it, and because it was the same price everywhere but for the local and state taxes (which, here in CA, are between 8.25 and 9.75%, and which is not trivial).
04-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #14

Coming Back to 2nd Northern Virginia Store

Pentax is coming back to Photocraft in Burke, VA in Fairfax county outside D.C. Pentax had not left Ace Photo in Sterling, VA near Dulles Airport....It just became a somewhat special order item. Embassy Photo in DC is affiliated with them, so we may get Pentax in DC again too.

The big change is that it looks like the brick and mortar stores are getting price deals which will let them compete with Amazon and the other online retailers. Before the wholesale price they were getting was above what Amazon was selling at.

I know the online stores were the only retailers growing over the last two years, but I am more than glad to see Pentax get back in the stores. I cannot agree more fully with people when I they've said they just wished they could put their hands on a camera to confirm it is the one they wanted!
04-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #15

In Taiwan one of the big electronic and entertainment stores had a big Pentax display when the K20D came out. Then they seemed to just quit Pentax all together. Other mall photo stores more resently proudly display the K-X but when I asked about a K-7 they didn't carry it.