Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-7 and Pentax Extended Warranty

Some posters have been asking about the extended warranty from Pentax with K-7 body. I asked Pentax:

If I buy a new k7 body with USA warranty, do I also get the 2 yr. extended warranty from Pentax? How do I request the extended warranty?

Reply from Randy S. with Pentax:

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

Any K-7 purchased from an authorized Pentax dealer in the US qualifies for a 3 yr. Pentax Extended Warranty. If you did not receive your warranty card from the dealer you can obtain one from Pentax by emailing (pentaxinfo@pentax.com) or faxing (919-501-7575) a copy of your dated proof of purchase (sales receipt, credit card statement, order confirmation, packing slip, etc.) along with your name and address to

Pentax, Attn.: K-7 Ext. Warranty.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
Pentax Imaging Technical Support

04-13-2010, 04:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax customer service told me recenty that technically you need to apply for the extended warranty within 90 days of purchase. (However, I was able to get mine after that.)
04-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k-7

It was easy. No hassle. The guy couldn't have been more helpful. Faxed a proof of purchase receipt. My extended warranty arrived about a week later.

04-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #4

I'd be interested to hear Pentax's position on the dealers that are selling the extra 2-year warranty to their customers for as much as $40. Seems a little odd that the warranty is being handled in such a way that dealers have an easy time ripping off customers by selling them something they could get for free if they only knew in advance. I bought my K-7 from Abe's of Maine specifically because they offered the extended warranty for free with the camera. B&H and Adorama each charge $19.95 extra for the warranty.

04-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

send an attachment of your proof of purchase and request the K7 extended warranty to pentaxinfo@pentax.com; include your contact info as well and make the subject K7 ext warranty
04-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #6

Ok, now that's odd. I contacted Pentax via their live chat. I don't remember who it was i spoke to but I was trying to find out how register to get the extended warranty as I didn't have a warranty card in my box. I was told that I didn't need to do anything to get the extended warranty, and all I would need if I needed service was my original receipt. I was also told that they are not putting warranty cards in the boxes anymore. So now I'm confused
04-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by AndyB Quote
Ok, now that's odd. I contacted Pentax via their live chat. I don't remember who it was i spoke to but I was trying to find out how register to get the extended warranty as I didn't have a warranty card in my box. I was told that I didn't need to do anything to get the extended warranty, and all I would need if I needed service was my original receipt. I was also told that they are not putting warranty cards in the boxes anymore. So now I'm confused
I just spoke to them a bit ago on live chat and after asking specifically about that extended warranty I got the following response:

QuoteQuote:
Paul C: Pentax is offering the free 2year extended warranty
(1-year standard plus 2-year extended).
to recieve the 2yr. extended warranty you will need to include
a proof of purchase along with your request
to info@pentax.com with the subject line : K7 Ext. Warranty.

You may also the fax information to 919-501-7558 Attn: K20D Ext. Warranty

04-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AndyB Quote
I was told that I didn't need to do anything to get the extended warranty, and all I would need if I needed service was my original receipt. I was also told that they are not putting warranty cards in the boxes anymore.
My K-7 did come with a 1 yr warranty card. But to obtain warranty service, registration is not required. Proof of purchase is sufficient (at least in CA).

But to get warranty service during the additional 2 year extended warranty, and the one CLA service, you do need the extended warranty card from Pentax.
04-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Clones123 Quote
I'd be interested to hear Pentax's position on the dealers that are selling the extra 2-year warranty to their customers for as much as $40. Seems a little odd that the warranty is being handled in such a way that dealers have an easy time ripping off customers by selling them something they could get for free if they only knew in advance. I bought my K-7 from Abe's of Maine specifically because they offered the extended warranty for free with the camera. B&H and Adorama each charge $19.95 extra for the warranty.
Maybe collecting for something that is supposed to be free is their way of financing contributions to pentaxforums.com on click through sales. With the valuable information found here, paying for the EW on click through purchases may be a double edged sword. It cuts that you are paying for something that is supposed to be included, but it helps support this site.

BTW the above conjecture is exactly that; pure conjecture. I have no way of knowing if there is any substance to it or not, nor would I find that particular activity particularly egregious. In fact, maybe I'll have the store where I work become an affiliate and finance click through sales by charging for things included with the camera. How much do you think I could get the strap...?
04-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-7 and Pentax Extended Warranty

unfotunatly in the netherlands this is not possible
no extended warranty overhere. So an additional insurance is required
05-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I've purchased my K-7 via mail order from US (amazon.com) and had them send it to Turkey, wondering if extended warranty applies to Turkey too. Anyone knows?
05-29-2010, 04:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
I've purchased my K-7 via mail order from US (amazon.com) and had them send it to Turkey, wondering if extended warranty applies to Turkey too. Anyone knows?
I think it'll apply, but you'll have to send the camera back to the US for service.
06-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I filled out and sent my warrenty registration card in to Pentax when I bought the camera, arn't you suppose to do that?
06-04-2010, 11:40 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Who me? There was no such a card in the box. Box was open BTW.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I filled out and sent my warrenty registration card in to Pentax when I bought the camera, arn't you suppose to do that?
06-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #15

Anyone know if the extended warranty is transferable - and if so, what is the process?