Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2010, 06:27 AM   #16
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by veraikon Quote
Try to load a lithium battery pack in a region outside withaout eletricity supply . There are solar chargers for AA Batteries but not for lithium packs.
Try to buy a spare lithium pack - AA batteries you´ll get even in Timbuktu
and what happens when those lithium battery packs die, and they are no longer supplied by the manufacturer. second hand, used? cheaply made 3rd party options? when will AA's stop being made? yea, no time in the near future. this is exactly why I just purchased the battery grip for the K-7, so I can use AA's when need be. this is the first digital SLR I have used that doesnt take AA's and I couldn't imagine not being able to use them. the ease of use and lighter weight of the lithium packs in no way outweighs the connivence and availability of AA's.

04-16-2010, 06:46 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
Okay that A850 is out. Not the best camera judging from spec but it is what I`m looking for - an affordable DSLR with APS sized sensor, with one serious flaw - not a KAF mount.
I'm not following you at all.

The Sony A850 is not new, it is basically a cheaper A900, and has been out for several months. Its sensor is a so-called "full-frame" (i.e. 24x46mm) sized one. It is *not* APS sized. And I guess we all have our own definition of "affordable"...
04-16-2010, 07:12 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mohawk Quote
No, it ain't happening in Pentax land. So if you really really really want a 35mm sized sensor, and it's really that important to you, then go jump to C-N-S.
Probably could have been done with it already if I wanted only that. What i want is my lenses working on 35mm sized sensor
04-16-2010, 08:21 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Isn't the K-x using a Sony sensor too? I thought that's why the noise levels were so incredibly low on it. You're never going to get an APS-C sized sensor that equals the low noise levels of a full frame though, and if you're still hoping for a full frame Pentax, well, you might have wait quite a long time.
The full-frame Sony sensor in the A850 is not particularly impressive at high ISO.

04-16-2010, 09:25 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by veraikon Quote
Try to load a lithium battery pack in a region outside withaout eletricity supply . There are solar chargers for AA Batteries but not for lithium packs.
Try to buy a spare lithium pack - AA batteries you´ll get even in Timbuktu
Solar chargers are readily available for your lithium ion batteries too. Here's just a small selection of what's available for Pentax from the first Google result:

Solar Digital Camera Battery Chargers for Pentax

NiMH AAs have their disadvantages, largely in terms of weight, size, battery life, and ease of changing (especially in a rush / in the dark). To me, it's worth having AA capability in a pinch through a battery grip tray, but I'd never use them unless forced to. The advantages of lithium-ion far outweigh the disadvantages except as a last resort.
04-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #21

I thought someone was bumping old threads from 2009
04-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
The full-frame Sony sensor in the A850 is not particularly impressive at high ISO.
Agreed - as DPReview stated, ISO 6400 is for emergencies only. Compare that with what the D3S is capable of with their FF sensor, where 6400 is quite clean.

If/when Pentax does FF, I really hope that they don't use the A850/A900 sensor. I couldn't care less about having 25mp - I want high ISO capability. I don't want worse ISO performance than my wife's K-x.
04-16-2010, 10:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
From what I can tell ISO is more of a software issue than hardware related.
If they really wanted to they could improve upon it through just firmware, or even easier through your photo processing programs. However they wouldn't sell as many updated bodies that way.

04-16-2010, 10:15 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
From what I can tell ISO is more of a software issue than hardware related.
If they really wanted to they could improve upon it through just firmware, or even easier through your photo processing programs. However they wouldn't sell as many updated bodies that way.
Disguising poor ISO performance is a software issue. Delivering superior high ISO performance without detail-reducing NR and with superior DR and tonality is a hardware issue. That's why we can't expect a firmware update to make the K-7 have the high ISO performance of the K-x. That's why the 25mp A850/A900 have several stops worse ISO performance than the 12mp D700/D3.
04-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
For sure I mean full frame. APS is just that.
Allow me to correct you with a smile

APS, which stands for Advanced Photo System, refers to a type of film cartridge developed by Kodak in the mid-90's with a frame size of 30.2 × 16.7 mm. Cameras using this film would expose the whole frame, but the user could specify at the time of shooting (or later on when making reprints) one of 3 frame ratios for their prints:

* H: Using all the frame, 30.2 × 16.7 mm.
* C: Cropped to 25.1 × 16.7 mm.
* P: Cropped to 30.2 × 9.5 mm.

So APS by itself is not a size, it needs a H, C or P appended to it, and none of the APS formats are full frame (36 ×24 mm).

Canon incorrectly uses the APS-H denomination for their 1.3x sensors, whose size is 27.9mm × 18.6mm (although they are similar in area).

04-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #26

Who knows what they will do - Pentax camcorder

I just do not know what Pentax will do for their model line....

With the launch of a somewhat affordable 645 digital model, would they want to launch a full-frame model? I thought so with the DFA 100mm WR, but I am not so sure. If they did that, they would need to have replacements for all of the DA* lenses, and probably irritate people like me, who have invested in that format. At the same time, how difficult would it be to modify the K7 to hold a FF sensor?

Will there be a K200 successor? I am not so sure...Where you you price it since there is such a modest gap between the Kx and K7, really...not enough room for another camera. Built with the wrong set of features, and it would eat the market of one or the other. IF they could push the price on the Kx further down, I could see adding a K200 replacement, one with illuminated AF points, a front control wheel, and maybe a mic port.

As far as sensors, everything I read the Samsung sensor really is not that bad (in fact, with the sharpening added in the firmware update, I think it looks awesome). Also take into account that Samsung needs a buyer since the thing really is only used in the NX10, they may cut Pentax a deal. And never underestimate the possibility that Samsung and Pentax may work things out, especially since there is now this push on Micro 4/3 camcorders. Can you imagine a Samsung/Pentax badged camcorder that can use K lenses? Especially the classic manual lenses? Samsung may do that just to prevent JVC from getting their hands on Pentax
04-16-2010, 12:18 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Daedbird Quote
I just do not know what Pentax will do for their model line....

With the launch of a somewhat affordable 645 digital model, would they want to launch a full-frame model? I thought so with the DFA 100mm WR, but I am not so sure. If they did that, they would need to have replacements for all of the DA* lenses, and probably irritate people like me, who have invested in that format. At the same time, how difficult would it be to modify the K7 to hold a FF sensor?

Will there be a K200 successor? I am not so sure...Where you you price it since there is such a modest gap between the Kx and K7, really...not enough room for another camera. Built with the wrong set of features, and it would eat the market of one or the other. IF they could push the price on the Kx further down, I could see adding a K200 replacement, one with illuminated AF points, a front control wheel, and maybe a mic port.

As far as sensors, everything I read the Samsung sensor really is not that bad (in fact, with the sharpening added in the firmware update, I think it looks awesome). Also take into account that Samsung needs a buyer since the thing really is only used in the NX10, they may cut Pentax a deal. And never underestimate the possibility that Samsung and Pentax may work things out, especially since there is now this push on Micro 4/3 camcorders. Can you imagine a Samsung/Pentax badged camcorder that can use K lenses? Especially the classic manual lenses? Samsung may do that just to prevent JVC from getting their hands on Pentax
There's literally only a $300 or so gap between the K-7 and the K-x, so I really don't see where they would even price a K20D successor without it having too many features of both cameras that it's in the middle of. Any room for anything below the K-x or above the K-7 though? I would think so above the K-7, but not sure what exactly.
04-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Daedbird Quote
At the same time, how difficult would it be to modify the K7 to hold a FF sensor?
Very difficult, basically you are designing a new camera from grounds up - new viewfinder, new mirror housing, new shutter, new SR, new electronics for new sensors, new battery grip etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mohawk Quote
Yawn, yet another FF dslr rant.
No, it ain't happening in Pentax land. So if you really really really want a 35mm sized sensor, and it's really that important to you, then go jump to C-N-S.
Exactly my thoughts!
Forget about FF for Pentax, it ain't going to happen!
04-17-2010, 04:00 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Very difficult, basically you are designing a new camera from grounds up - new viewfinder, new mirror housing, new shutter, new SR, new electronics for new sensors, new battery grip etc.
Very easy in fact. The 645D is basically a K-7 with a larger sensor....
Pentax could easily make a FF based around the K-7. However, the problem is the lenses. Pentax is busy renewing the 645 lens line-up. It would be a challenge to do the same with the FF K-mount line-up simultaneously...
04-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Very easy in fact. The 645D is basically a K-7 with a larger sensor....
Pentax could easily make a FF based around the K-7. However, the problem is the lenses. Pentax is busy renewing the 645 lens line-up. It would be a challenge to do the same with the FF K-mount line-up simultaneously...
In the past, Pentax has produced more than a few models of cameras in different lines simultaneously. Other makers (even beyond Canikon) have managed to do so, even when those models were rather mechanically complex motordrive FF film bodies. That those other makers no longer exist may have less to do with model proliferation than with not being nimble enough to embrace digital.

My point is, the production of multiple cameras is quite possible. And Pentax (and other makers) have produced varieties of lenses simultaneously. Although (and this is a big BUT) other makers haven't produced numerous LINES of lenses at the same time. Which is why we probably won't see a Pentax m4:3 or short-register P-EVIL. Pentax already has FA, DA, and 645 lens lines (not to mention lenses for other sorts of products). Further expansion might have Pentax-designed lenses made by others, or just straight re-badging. IOW, not really Pentax.

But bodies and lenses aren't the chokepoints. The bottlenecks, the limiting factors, are: marketing and sales. Producing stuff ain't enough. It must be advertised, shipped, displayed sold. Pentax/Hoya is advertising more; good. Not good enough. Page 3 of EVERY F*CKING ISSUE of NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE is a CANON ad. Pentax needs major visibility in major media. Pentax is visible in more stores; good. Not good enough. The camera counters in EVERY F*CKING WALMART and COSTCO have at least one CANON dSLR visible, along with numerous colorful P&S's. Pentax needs to have bodies on the shelves, starting with the i10 and W90 - or aren't these good enough?

The name PENTAX needs to be prominent in the media, visible on big-box store shelves -- how can consumers be expected to buy stuff they never even see, from a company they've never even heard of? Pentax needs more P&S penetration. I can walk into a Staples or other business big-box, or a Best Buy or other electronics big-box, and I'll see Fuji and Panasonic and Samsung cams -- but no Pentax. Canikonympus may have prestige (more or less) dSLR lines, but their bread-and-butter comes from selling zillions of little P&S's. I don't care if Pentax has to re-badge Samsung or Fujifilm -- the Pentax name HAS to become visible.